is the 7800 necessary?

Drsoren24

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Soo much to like about this pic.?

1. Cuttle Cart

2. Video Monitor

3. Lift that the VM is sitting on

4. Custom controller 

Oh yeah...the 7800. The most necessary item.

Thank you for noticing the hydraulic lift. The PVM rolls around like butter on it. The controller is a KY Enterprises Fingertip Controller that was a DIY back in the day.

IMG_1084(1).JPEG

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Every game fits with a hard push. 

Not really.  Maybe on your 7800, but I have at least one where the Imagic carts line up right over the wrong place and push into the posts.  If I rammed them in, I'd just break the cart or the guide.  I've tried a bunch of different angles and wiggles and even snapped the outer edge of the guide.  They don't fit.  And of course, Tigervision carts don't fit.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:03 AM, boxpressed said:

The controller is a KY Enterprises Fingertip Controller that was a DIY back in the day.

What games is it good for?  Seems like it would probably be useful for games like Star Gate/Defender II that needs buttons and directions off of the 2nd controller.  But it is hard to see how it is useful as a primary controller.  What games do you like with it?

1 hour ago, christo930 said:

What games is it good for?  Seems like it would probably be useful for games like Star Gate/Defender II that needs buttons and directions off of the 2nd controller.  But it is hard to see how it is useful as a primary controller.  What games do you like with it?

I was using it with Asteroids because I had forgotten which bin I had stashed my Starplex in. I bought it mostly as a collectible. It worked pretty well with Beamrider.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 12:52 AM, Drsoren24 said:

I am a huge 5200 fan.  I have tons of games, alternate controllers and love the system.  I was thinking about getting a 7800 and the more research I do on it the more I ask myself...why?  It uses the same processor as the 5200, the sound is crap, the only upgrade seems to be the graphics.  Most of the games that I'm interested in are on the 5200.  The only ones that are on the 7800 that I want that are not on the 5200 are food fight and galaga, and I have them on other systems.  I would like ikari warriors and a couple others too, but they are really expensive and not exclusive and cheaper on the other platforms. The homebrews seem to cost more on the 7800 also.  So I guess my question to all you 7800 fans is why do you like them, and is it worth getting one for somebody who has a great 5200?  

Depends on the game-titles of interest to you personally.

If you’re not interested in playing (oldschool and all that):

- Pole Position 2

- Motor Psycho

- Commando 

- Ninja Golf

- Scrapyard Dog

- Alien Brigade

- Plutos

- Fatal Run

- Desert Falcon

- Sirius

- F-18 Hornet (really brilliant 8-bit polygon flight-sim.)

— — —

- Pac Man Collection

- Rikki & Vikki

- Bentley Bears Crystal Quest

- Donkey Kong PK 

- Baby Pac Man 

— — — 

if none of above titles appeals to you, the 7800 (considering you already have an Atari 5200), may not be worth it.

Well, one more thing; the 7800 plays 2600 games, out of which you can find some gems... Solaris, BattleZone, Radar Lock, Tunnel Runner...

Edited by Giles N

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

I’d also say Dig Dug 7800 is very good port: better than 5200 because of better hardware, and better than NES because of the blue sky-backdrop rather than the black NES backdrop.

So add ‘Dig Dug’.

Yeah, Dig Dug is great on 7800. If we're going that route, I think Xenophobe 7800 is much better than the NES version. 

• Like 1

@Drsoren24

So I guess my list so far, for games which would make it worth to get a 7800 would look like this:

- Pole Position 2

- Motor Psycho

- Commando

- Ninja Golf

- Scrapyard Dog

- Alien Brigade

- Planet Smasher

- Plutos

- Sirius

- Desert Falcon

- Fatal Run

- F 18 Hornet

- Dig Dug

- Midnight Mutants

- Xenophobe

- Pac Man Collection

- Rikki and Vikki

- Donkey Kong PK

- Baby Pac Man (can be played as pure pinball or combo-maze/pinball)

Hope this may be of help.

• Like 1

- Food Fight

- Pole Position 2

- Motor Psycho

- Commando

- Ninja Golf

- Scrapyard Dog

- Alien Brigade

- Galaga

- Planet Smasher

- Plutos

- Sirius

- Desert Falcon

- Fatal Run

- F 18 Hornet

- Dig Dug

- Midnight Mutants

- Xenophobe

- Robotron 2084

- Dark Chambers

- Pac Man Collection

- Rikki and Vikki

- Donkey Kong PK

- Baby Pac Man (can be played as pure pinball or combo-maze/pinball)

Hope this may be of help.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, Drsoren24 said:

I am a huge 5200 fan.  I have tons of games, alternate controllers and love the system.  I was thinking about getting a 7800 and the more research I do on it the more I ask myself...why?  It uses the same processor as the 5200, the sound is crap, the only upgrade seems to be the graphics.  Most of the games that I'm interested in are on the 5200.  The only ones that are on the 7800 that I want that are not on the 5200 are food fight and galaga, and I have them on other systems.  I would like ikari warriors and a couple others too, but they are really expensive and not exclusive and cheaper on the other platforms. The homebrews seem to cost more on the 7800 also.  So I guess my question to all you 7800 fans is why do you like them, and is it worth getting one for somebody who has a great 5200?  

Well,

In favor of the 7800:

1. The 7800 has a superior graphics handling chip (as said)

2. The 7800 and 5200 use identical main processor

3. Homebrews on the 7800 look better than the 5200, and

4. many of those have options for a POKEY or equivalent sound coprocessor

5. The 5200 controllers have nonstandard connectors

6. The 5200 controllers break a lot

7. It plays 2600 games directly (add in the stereo and composite video hacks and games like Yars Revenge and E.T. are more astounding than ever)

8. The sound isn't as much crap as it is "limited" and even then, how the game uses available octaves can make all the difference (e.g. Yars Revenge still blows my mind)

9. The 7800 has games like "Ninja Golf", "Commando", "Baby Pac-Man' that's the truest to the arcade machine (even pinball), and  "Fatal Run"

In favor of the 5200:

1. It has a lot of ports from the Atari 800 computer line (as the 5200 is the same apart from a few BIOS changes)

2. Homebrews between both A800 and 5200 are likely easier to develop

3. It's bigger

4. You can open the top and put your drinks in there like a caddy. Preferably warm drinks or drinks you want warm

5. It has games like "Gremlins", which reminds playability can be more fun than just how many colors appear on screen at once

I'd have gotten a 5200 myself except the 8-bit computer line has the same games. Granted, the 5200 and its cartridges look a lot more cool than the 8-bit line (which have their own charm with the snazzier mechanical shroud covering the pins to prevent dust)

17 hours ago, Giles N said:

I’ll throw in Robotron 2084, which is solid on the 5200, but even more solid a homeport on the 7800

So the list is getting fairly long now, and I actually am very fond my 5200 and my game collection for it.

^^this

The 7800's arcade ports are THE best. (The only one that is questionable might be Mario Bros, but the XEGS has the only competing version and was never put on the 5200)

Wishing "Millipede" existed as "Centipede" is nigh on perfect. Even with the 2600 sound chip.

Edited by CommodoreDecker

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 12:01 PM, TailChao said:

We also shipped that over a year and a half ago with no preorders or crowdfunding  (♥) and (at least I hope) relatively little fuss for customers. Whether or not the game is everyone's cup of tea isn't the point. What I wanted to stress was that we could reliably bring you more software on a schedule, would invest in reverse engineering and hardware development that would be given back to the community, and were really listening to feedback. In particular, after the repeated drama with Watermelon's Paprium on the Genesis. The difficulties we had with coverage and vast indifference by most retrogaming communities did more to indicate this relationship isn't worth pursuing than any number of cartridge sales.

I just placed my order for Rikki & Vikki after reading this paragraph. 

I'm a latecomer to this thread (and the 7800.) Just wanted to chime in to say I greatly appreciate your exemplary product development model. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 5:02 PM, Greg2600 said:

The answer is no SD cart is available, you're stuck buying carts on 7800, though most of them are not expensive.  Hopefully one comes out in the near future but current efforts seem well off.

Oh yeah??? No SD cart??? HA!!! Oh contare, contrare!!! Concerto will be making its debut very soon and I already picked up a 7800 to go with my 5200 so I can use it, I even have all the games on ROM files already too!!! Also, Dragonfly is being worked on too for that matter, and I would not have picked up a 7800 if there was no SD multicart coming out for it, as I already own a 5200 and have since 1983 when I got my first one for my 17th Birthday back then and also own an Atarimax Ultimate SD 5200 multicart.

As for the controller issues. yes the stock CX52 does have them but they are very solvable by, 1) getting in touch with Best Electronics for a gold-plated modded 5200 (CX52) controller, and, 2) picking either a Masterplay clone or even an old AtariAge/Pixels Past Redemption 5200 unit in which allows you to (pending on the model you pick) use either 2600/Sega, 7800, or PC-compatible controllers on it while still maintaining the full keypad and start/pause/reset features of the CX52 itself.

Edited by BIGHMW

The 7800 is easily one of my favourite consoles. For me it's the really solid arcade ports it's got, many of which play better on it than just about anything else. My selection:

Official releases: Centipede, Donkey Kong Jr, Mario Bros, Commando, Food Fight, Dig Dug, Galaga, BallBlazer, Joust, Mean 18.

Homebrew: Pac-Man Collection, Rikki & Vikki, T:ME Salvo, b*nQ, Space Invaders, Froggie, Donkey Kong PK, Super Circus AA, Baby Pac-Man.

That doesn't even take into account stuff that's in the works like Millie & Molly, Arkanoid, Knight Guy, etc.

• Like 4