IGNORED

Streamlining My Sealed Intellivision Collection

It's been several years since I actively collected sealed Intellivision games, and it's time to recover some space by getting rid of variants. I'd like to know what you would keep when given a choice of variants.

I basically want a "original" sealed US collection (as much as possible). I don't have any sealed FCTVVO games, so the collection won't be THAT original. But basically an "original" over "variant" collection. The problem is distinguishing what is "original" and what is a "variant."

Here are the criteria:

1. If there is a Mattel version of the game, I will keep it and get rid of the Intellivision Inc. version (even if the titles are different)

2. If there is a box that says "Keyboard Component" in the lower right, I will get rid of the ones that don't mention it

3. If there is a cartridge "Made in the USA" Mattel version, I will keep it and get rid of the HK, Singapore, Taiwan, and Various origins

4. If there is a gatefold version of the game, I will get rid of the non-gatefold versions

I know it's not perfect, but does this seem like a good set of criteria to go by?

One problem that arises has to do with the "Made in Hong Kong" box that mentions the Keyboard Component and a "Made in the USA" that does NOT mention the Keyboard Component. I'm keeping the former in this case.

When there is a "Made in Hong Kong" game that mentions the Keyboard Component, was there always a "Made in USA" counterpart that also mentioned the Keyboard Component? So far, I've come across several KC titles that I don't have the USA version of. These are all sealed games, so it could be just that it exists and I haven't run across a sealed version.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boxpressed said:

(...)

When there is a "Made in Hong Kong" game that mentions the Keyboard Component, was there always a "Made in USA" counterpart that also mentioned the Keyboard Component? So far, I've come across several KC titles that I don't have the USA version of. These are all sealed games, so it could be just that it exists and I haven't run across a sealed version.

Thanks for your help!

you can find the answer in this thread: 

The general conclusion is that for each made in HK box with mention of the KC at least one made in USA box with the same mention exists. Moreover, it seems like the rarest made in USA box that mentions the KC is Word Fun

Edited by intellivotion
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, boxpressed said:

It's been several years since I actively collected sealed Intellivision games, and it's time to recover some space by getting rid of variants. I'd like to know what you would keep when given a choice of variants.

I basically want a "original" sealed US collection (as much as possible). I don't have any sealed FCTVVO games, so the collection won't be THAT original. But basically an "original" over "variant" collection. The problem is distinguishing what is "original" and what is a "variant."

Here are the criteria:

1. If there is a Mattel version of the game, I will keep it and get rid of the Intellivision Inc. version (even if the titles are different)

2. If there is a box that says "Keyboard Component" in the lower right, I will get rid of the ones that don't mention it

3. If there is a cartridge "Made in the USA" Mattel version, I will keep it and get rid of the HK, Singapore, Taiwan, and Various origins

4. If there is a gatefold version of the game, I will get rid of the non-gatefold versions

I know it's not perfect, but does this seem like a good set of criteria to go by?

One problem that arises has to do with the "Made in Hong Kong" box that mentions the Keyboard Component and a "Made in the USA" that does NOT mention the Keyboard Component. I'm keeping the former in this case.

Thanks for your help!

Your reasoning seems sound to me. Oldest US version you can find. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boxpressed said:

Here are the criteria:

If you are trying to put your criteria in order, such that a later criteria does not overrule an earlier one, I would move #4 up higher. It really could go as high as you like.

Additionally if you have one without the plastic tray and one with the plastic tray, the one with the tray is older.  I would suggest that a GF from HK that doesn't mention the Keyboard Component might be older than a GF from US without the tray, but not really sure. There are at least nine titles that have US boxes with and without the tray and no mention of the Keyboard Component.

As for the 19, I have all 19 both ways, so yes, they all exist. I am not sure the same can be said for the boxes which do not mention the Keyboard Component.

Edited by BSRSteve
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm glad to know that there are USA versions of all the KC titles. It turns out that I have only four USA KC titles sealed.

It'll be calming to focus on getting the rest of those rather than chasing every sealed variant of every title as I used to do. I have about 120 sealed variants that "lose" out to a "keeper" using the criteria above (some doubles), so this is a serious streamlining of the collection.

I think I'm going to have to not use "older" as a criterion because these are all sealed and I can't know if a tray is included or not. I wouldn't even trust weighing the box. I'm just going to go with the USA versions if I can.

• Like 1

With the 1981-82 releases, those made in hong kong had plastic cartridge trays while those made in usa didn't.  My preference is plastic trays but that's me.

There's a few 1983 releases that had gatefold versions.  How rare are they?

Edited by mr_me

Some examples I keep may be exceptions to the rules above.

For example, I have gatefold versions of Burgertime and Mission X, but I wonder whether they came out after their non-gatefold versions. Same goes for Buzz Bombers, but I don’t have a gatefold version of that title. I think I’ll hang onto both variants of these Mattel titles bc there aren’t a lot of them. I hope.

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

With the 1981-82 releases, those made in hong kong had plastic cartridge trays while those made in usa didn't.  My preference is plastic trays but that's me.

For my 125 I also prefer plastic trays and so I count the HK versions if those are the only ones with trays.  Just my personal take since I connected those trays to Intellivision so much growing up.

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

And which Space Armada to keep, red or blue?

This is another one where I count the blue Space Network games for the 125 since...I dunno...they are Space games!  But I have the red Action Network (and blue Action Network) as “variants”.

Similarly for the ECS games I count the smaller boxes as “the” games since they all came in the small box, but only some had gatefolds. I also have the gatefolds (except Melody Blaster) as variants.

Same logic for the 1983 games; they all came out in the small boxes so I count those and have the gatefolds as variants.  

I guess consistency of box style is more important than date for me, but other than the exceptions above I go for the oldest version.

2 hours ago, boxpressed said:

Some examples I keep may be exceptions to the rules above.

For example, I have gatefold versions of Burgertime and Mission X, but I wonder whether they came out after their non-gatefold versions. Same goes for Buzz Bombers, but I don’t have a gatefold version of that title. I think I’ll hang onto both variants of these Mattel titles bc there aren’t a lot of them. I hope.

Vectron is the fourth one in this gatefold group. 

Yes, this group of four Canadian bilingual editions that include Vectron, Burgertime, Buzz Bombers, and MissionX have a unique gatefold box.  These have instructions printed in Canada and I suspect the boxes were also printed in Canada.  Previously, Canadian bilingual editions were printed in Hong Kong.

But from the 1983 subset, only Burgertime, Buzz Bombers, and MissionX came in rare gatefold editions for the US market.

Edited by mr_me

38 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Yes, this group of four Canadian bilingual editions that include Vectron, Burgertime, Buzz Bombers, and MissionX have a unique gatefold box.  These have instructions printed in Canada and I suspect the boxes were also printed in Canada.  Previously, Canadian bilingual editions were printed in Hong Kong.

But from the 1983 subset, only Burgertime, Buzz Bombers, and MissionX came in rare gatefold editions for the US market.

I'm still looking for one anyway. (Vectron)

Edited by Humblejack