IGNORED

McWill or BennVenn? Which is better?

Pac-Lander

Just got done installing the BennVenn drop-in solderless screen in my Lynx II, and it looks fantastic!

I honestly don't mind the original Lynx screen; it blurs when it moves but it's very sharp to begin with and most games were developed with its limitations in mind (in contrast with the Game Gear, which is blurry even when the screen is standing still)... but this mod is DEFINITELY worth doing.  It's easy for a novice modder, and it apparently even gives a slight boost to battery life over the stock screen.

It truly is a solderless mod, though you do have to remove one component from the mainboard that's in a pretty tight space.  I desoldered it, but installation instructions I read recommended just snapping it off.  Optionally, you can also solder a single wire from the mainboard to the new screen board to enable brightness control and scanlines (which I did).

Unfortunately, this particular screen is not 100% compatible with the C104129-001 revision of the Lynx II, which is apparently a rare early revision of the console.  And even more unfortunately, that is exactly the revision I have!  It works fine in-game, but it causes the first splash screen shown when starting a game to roll vertically (like when V-HOLD needs to be adjusted on a old TV/monitor).  Having said that, I tested every game in my library (and I have a nearly complete collection of retail releases) and it's not a problem with any game once you get to the title screen.

lynx2.jpg

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1