IGNORED

1050 drive - strange issue

djmat56

Hi all. So I have a 1050 upgraded with the megaspeedy and works very well but it seems to behave strangely at times. So last night I created some real floppies from ATRs as I have been doing for some time. This morning I went back through the disks I created and all the single and double density ones loaded first time. When trying to load a disk in enhanced density it just gave boot error. Every one i tried did the same.

Half an hour or so later I went back to the enhanced density disks and they all started loading again! Is it a case that my drive for some reason needed to "warm up"?

I have done the usual checks - swapped cables and PSUs, tried different drive modes, cleaned the head and checked the drive speed. All seem fine. The only thing I haven't done yet is recap the drive.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Just seems weird that enhanced density fails at first and then start to work when all other densities are fine.

I could maybe think that it could be alignment issues but, like I said in my post, after about half an hour the disks just seem to work. Would bad caps be to blame for this? I have a set of replacement caps but haven't got round to changing them yet

When cold check power rails. you could have slight alignment or track zero issue..

I would suspect the FDC adjustment could more so be at issue than those issues.

also remember to use the latest MegaSpeedy firmwares etc. as there were some fixes for NTSC timings etc. etc.

15 hours ago, djmat56 said:

Hi all. So I have a 1050 upgraded with the megaspeedy and works very well but it seems to behave strangely at times. So last night I created some real floppies from ATRs as I have been doing for some time. This morning I went back through the disks I created and all the single and double density ones loaded first time. When trying to load a disk in enhanced density it just gave boot error. Every one i tried did the same.

Half an hour or so later I went back to the enhanced density disks and they all started loading again! Is it a case that my drive for some reason needed to "warm up"?

I have done the usual checks - swapped cables and PSUs, tried different drive modes, cleaned the head and checked the drive speed. All seem fine. The only thing I haven't done yet is recap the drive.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Just seems weird that enhanced density fails at first and then start to work when all other densities are fine.

I would re-cap the drive, even just to rule that out as a possible issue.

MJ