IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 13 Round 14 - Kangaroo

DamonicFury

Welcome to the fourteenth round of this 5200 HSC season!  There was a four-way tie this time (!) which was broken by a die roll, with Kangaroo coming out on top. Play using the default settings.  Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The current record was set by rxd with 79,500  points.  Bust it if you can for a bonus point.  

The ROM can be found here:

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=631

Round ends Sunday, July 26th, 2020 @9pm EST

Standings:

rubeon - 52,100

phuzaxeman - 34,400

Cafeman - 27,200

Mangia-Boy - 27,200

jblenkle - 5,900

roadrunner - 5,300

13 hours ago, thursday83 said:

15,000. The record could be broken, rather easily, in my opinion. It’s just amounts to whoever wants to sit there and repetitively punch and job for over an hour straight.B092743E-E428-4FA9-941D-FF2EC6BDE28B.thumb.jpeg.9d9cae047c08a59d7c44747f0f819ac4.jpeg

Welcome aboard!  I really don’t want to discourage you, but I’m afraid this strategy would run afoul of our long-standing “no point scumming” rule, as posted in the rules here: 

Rule #6. Please do not abuse bugs in the games! 

Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without 

much work (An example of such "point scumming": in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one 

small asteroid, and then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending), or finish the game while

skipping alot of the actual content. Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores,

but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process.

Please don’t let that discourage you from participating however!  Just play again, progressing through the levels as the game was intended.  ?

I’m curious how this strategy works however... shouldn’t the timer expire and prevent just endlessly lurking on the first level?

IMG_1892.thumb.jpeg.ae637b079f4ea9fc0fb98d14fd229894.jpeg

I may have another go at this.  I played this a lot as a kid and I was trying to figure out why I would waste time on such a ridiculous game.  After a couple of rounds I realised it had gotten in my head.  I'm reliving those awkward jumps and ridiculous monkeys in my sleep.

38 minutes ago, Mangia-Boy said:

I think, the only one who really loves this video game is my six years old son.

By the way, I've already posted a score: 22,400 (#4)

Apologies, screenshots without scores typed in are easy to overlook.

I've always liked this game myself, be it this version, the arcade game, or even the 2600 port.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rubeon said:

This game kind of grows on you

That's how I started to feel, too.  Once I understood how to jump , when to punch, and the timing, I started to enjoy it more.  But on the first couple plays, I was frustrated by falling 1 inch and dying and other things.  But once you realize you have to jump down, instead of falling down that inch, then it isn't a problem.     

• Like 2

After a flurry of last minute scores, rubeon has mangled the most monkeys!  Glad to see some of you warmed up to this game as it went along.  Thanks to all our players!

Jr. Pac-Man is coming up next.  

Final standings:

rubeon - 52,100  +11

phuzaxeman - 34,400  +10

Cafeman - 27,200  +9

Mangia-Boy - 27,200  +9

jblenkle - 5,900  +7

roadrunner - 5,300 +6