IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 1 - Space Armada

1 hour ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I am a purist ... I only play on the original hardware. With my 1979 controllers and original carts. I'll use my LTO Flash only for the 15% of the games that I don't have - and for my homebrew ROM's. Although I have most of the carts, I'm not a collector. I had the ECS computer but I threw it in the garbage in 1998 when I moved. I didn't know there would be a market for it 15 years later.

I have an InTV Flashback downstairs on the Panasonic TV and an emulator upstairs on the Vizio TV. I like playing Space Armada on the Flashback because the gunner seems to move a little easier. Everything else is on the emulator though. I just tried to play Auto Racing using the Flashback and it was pathetic. The car barely obeys any turn commands, it just crashes constantly. Clearly I'll be using the emulator next week when Auto Racing starts. ?

• Like 1

Played more Armada and Stalker tonight, and yep, my patience is running thin. Popped in the new Battlestar Galactica Space Battle and had a blast! Satisfied the action thirst!  I think I’ll quit until Auto Racing next week.  Are we sure we aren’t gunna play an invisible track or something?

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Played more Armada and Stalker tonight, and yep, my patience is running thin. Popped in the new Battlestar Galactica Space Battle and had a blast! Satisfied the action thirst!  I think I’ll quit until Auto Racing next week.  Are we sure we aren’t gunna play an invisible track or something?

Lol course 2 might as well be invisible cuz it's impossible.... 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

I have an InTV Flashback downstairs on the Panasonic TV and an emulator upstairs on the Vizio TV. I like playing Space Armada on the Flashback because the gunner seems to move a little easier. Everything else is on the emulator though. I just tried to play Auto Racing using the Flashback and it was pathetic. The car barely obeys any turn commands, it just crashes constantly. Clearly I'll be using the emulator next week when Auto Racing starts. ?

That doesn't sound right about Auto Racing.  There's two versions of the cartridge with two different control schemes.  With the flashback Auto Racing, which button do you press to restart the car after crashing?

34 minutes ago, mr_me said:

That doesn't sound right about Auto Racing.  There's two versions of the cartridge with two different control schemes.  With the flashback Auto Racing, which button do you press to restart the car after crashing?

I just used the red car and everything was awful. I would press up to turn up and it just stays straight and crashes. Maybe the emulator has spoiled me, but I'm not going near the Flashback for Auto Racing.... 

17 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

I just used the red car and everything was awful. I would press up to turn up and it just stays straight and crashes. Maybe the emulator has spoiled me, but I'm not going near the Flashback for Auto Racing.... 

you have to press left or right to turn the car on the console. I’ve never played fest they call the “intuitive” steering that was on the revised version of the game. It’s not that big of a deal to use the original steering. It only takes a few laps to get used to it. They shouldn’t have revised it. 

4 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

you have to press left or right to turn the car on the console. I’ve never played fest they call the “intuitive” steering that was on the revised version of the game. It’s not that big of a deal to use the original steering. It only takes a few laps to get used to it. They shouldn’t have revised it. 

I ordered one from eBay...it has a blue label.  I hope I ordered the revised one?

7 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Actually the directional/intuitive steering cartridge was the original release.  The left/right realistic steering cartridge is the revised rom and is far more common.  You can tell you have the original directional/intuitive cartridge if you have to press the keypad to restart after a crash as opposed to pressing the side button with the left/right realistic steering cartridge.  The directional/intuitive cartridge is more difficult to control; Mattel had complaints and quietly issued a revised cartridge.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Actually the directional/intuitive steering cartridge was the original release.  The left/right realistic steering cartridge is the revised rom and is far more common.  You can tell you have the original directional/intuitive cartridge if you have to press the keypad to restart after a crash as opposed to pressing the side button with the left/right realistic steering cartridge.  The directional/intuitive cartridge is more difficult to control; Mattel had complaints and quietly issued a revised cartridge.

I was actually just reading about this in an old thread on this site too.  I guess I will find out which one I have when I play it.  Here is what I found:

DEVELOPMENT HISTORY: There were two versions of Auto Racing released due to a running change made during manufacturing. In the original version, steering is realistic -- it is oriented to the car. For example, if your car is moving downward on-screen and you want to turn right (that is, toward the left of the screen), you press right on the hand controller disc. Mattel received complaints about how difficult this was (even the instruction book warns that it takes some getting used to), so a running change was ordered to make steering intuitive -- to orient it to the screen. In the above example, to turn toward the left of the screen, you press left on the hand controller disc, even though the car is actually making a right.

Both versions had their advocates -- intuitive steering being easier to play; realistic steering being a better simulation of driving. One programmer likened it to the difference between driving an automatic and driving a stick. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell which version is which from the package; you either have to check the instruction book, or just plug in the cartridge and play.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

If you copied that text from the blueskyrangers history pages you missed this part.

"The following description was written by Keith Robinson during the creation of the IntelliviisonLives website. Looking at the instruction manuals, it is obvious that Keith had the story backwards, as the earliest manuals have what Keith refers to as the intuitive steering, and the later manuals have the realistic steering."

https://history.blueskyrangers.com/mattelelectronics/games/autoracing.html

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

If you copied that text from the blueskyrangers history pages you missed this part.

"The following description was written by Keith Robinson during the creation of the IntelliviisonLives website. Looking at the instruction manuals, it is obvious that Keith had the story backwards, as the earliest manuals have what Keith refers to as the intuitive steering, and the later manuals have the realistic steering."

https://history.blueskyrangers.com/mattelelectronics/games/autoracing.html

No I copied it from this site in someone else's posts.  Had no clue it wasn't right though.  Good to know, I will figure it out hopefully!

Edited by IntyFanMatt

Just got 205k in Space Armada. Short of my other score so no need to post a pic.... This game was on the emulator. Usually I play SA on the Flashback.... ?

Lol it's been a day of 'close, but no cigar' scores as before I got 103k in Night Stalker which is 3k short of my highest score there.... ?

• Like 1

Ok.... the rumours about the revised cart.... I bought the cart within months of the console release. 

So if the rumour is true.. that they switched to the left-right to “fix” the game... then they pulled the Original cart immediately upon release. Or the alleged original steering was never released, 

That’s Keith’s recollection that you copied. Keith joined Mattel a couple of years after auto racing was revised...I doubt he was an Intellivision fanatic before he was hired. Even if he was, he would have bought the alleged revised steering cart like I did. 

if you asked Keith a story about the bible he would go on with dozens of tales that he knew as fact; he’ll say he knew a guy who knew a guy that was there.  You have to take his stories with a grain of salt. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I went to try Armada on the flashback, but I realized it’s gone. I packed it in a box a few years ago. I’ll just play on the console. 2 days left.

guys, remind me the cutoff time! 6:00 pm central? 

I believe you have until 11:59pm Eastern time on Sunday evening.

45 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I went to try Armada on the flashback, but I realized it’s gone. I packed it in a box a few years ago. I’ll just play on the console. 2 days left.

guys, remind me the cutoff time! 6:00 pm central? 

the cutoff is 11:59pm Eastern time on Sunday evening. But aren't you already in 2nd place? ?

58 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Ok.... the rumours about the revised cart.... I bought the cart within months of the console release. 

So if the rumour is true.. that they switched to the left-right to “fix” the game... then they pulled the Original cart immediately upon release. Or the alleged original steering was never released, 

That’s Keith’s recollection that you copied. Keith joined Mattel a couple of years after auto racing was revised...I doubt he was an Intellivision fanatic before he was hired. Even if he was, he would have bought the alleged revised steering cart like I did. 

if you asked Keith a story about the bible he would go on with dozens of tales that he knew as fact; he’ll say he knew a guy who knew a guy that was there.  You have to take his stories with a grain of salt. 

It's not a rumour, it's documented in the Auto Racing instructions revisions.  If the first kids that played Auto Racing complained to Mattel; and since the left/right realistic steering was already programmed, a revised cartridge would have been out within a couple of months, in time for Christmas 1980.  Sounds to me that Keith R wasn't too familiar with Auto Racing.  He contradicted the game instructions he posted on his own page.  I'm surprised Rickster8 has the directional/intuitive version on his emulation box.  That rom file is hard to find.

• Like 1