IGNORED

Strange TypoII behavior

I gave my nephew an 800XL along with an 810 disk drive and some Antic magazines. He typed in a whole program before learning that he had to boot with a disk in order to save it! Now I have him set up with DOS and TypoII so he catches any mistakes. However, we are noticing some strange behavior.

I’m having him LIST and ENTER his programs to avoid the BASIC Rev. B bug with SAVE. However, now when he LISTs his program to disk after typing in some code, the disk drive does its thing and then for some reason, TypoII starts. If we restart the computer at this point and ENTER the program from disk, the code he typed is gone.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

It sounds like Typo II is getting LISTed to disk along with the actual program.

From https://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n9/TYPOII.html

"To remove TYPO II from your program: Type LIST "D:FILENAME",0,31999 (Cassette owners LIST "C:",0,31999).  Type NEW, then ENTER "D:FILENAME" (ENTER "C:" for cassettes).  Your program is now in memory without TYPO II and can be SAVED or LISTed to disk or cassette."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestion evilmoo! He is not done typing in the program yet, so we don’t want to delete TypoII. When I used to type in programs, I would save the program with TypoII in intermediate stages until it was done, then I would use the commands above to remove TypoII.

It still doesn’t make any sense to me that LIST “D:PROGRAM.BAS” would access the disk and then cause TypoII to run. LISTing or SAVEing a program should only access the disk drive and should have nothing to do with program execution, right?

• Like 1