IGNORED

New ATASCII art?

2 hours ago, ClausB said:

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/283445/

if ASCII art it isnt tedious enough.

That's a great piece -- I love the typewriter art! As you can probably tell, I don't share the view that ASCII art should be treated with derision or isn't interesting in itself. :)

I quite like ASCII art.

It was quite common on the old DOS machines too.  I remember seeing an image to ASCII art converter, once.

7 hours ago, ClausB said:

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/283445/

if ASCII art it isnt tedious enough.

Nice link, and with typewriters gaining popularity, we may see more talented work.  Some of those pieces (being one offs) can sell for a few pennies.

11 minutes ago, Voxel said:

I quite like ASCII art.

It was quite common on the old DOS machines too.  I remember seeing an image to ASCII art converter, once.

Nice link, and with typewriters gaining popularity, we may see more talented work.  Some of those pieces (being one offs) can sell for a few pennies.

Sorry for the offtopic, but VLC comes with a free ASCII output filter.  It will play any video in ASCII.

• Thanks 1

ATASCII Animator was the one I used way back when I was running ATARI BBS’s... I don’t remember anything other than it...And I don’t think I’ve been able to find it during modern day searches.. 

ATASCII screens indeed could be very complex even though they were only two color. I remember some VERY good hack/phreak/pirate board ATASCII screens and would give my left nut to have screen caps of those bbs;s.. Who would have ever thought the Atari and BBS’ing in general would go away? :|

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Is there a decent ATASCII art program? I used to use some nice DOS software for ANSI

If you want to just do screens (not movies), then the editor that comes with the Action! cartridge works good.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

All of this is making me think about that XEP80 languishing in a box in the loft...now there's an underutilized A8 accessory.

The XEP80 apparently uses a 7x10 grid for its character set. Graphics 0 is 8x8, correct? So am I correct in assuming that the resolution in XEP80 "text" mode is 560x480?

And if (you'll have to forgive me here), this article suggests that four colours are possible in Graphics mode 0 by assigning colours to specific characters, and if the standard ATASCII character set can be modified into custom characters, this should allow some flexibility in creating semigraphic displays through the XEP80, right?

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

All of this is making me think about that XEP80 languishing in a box in the loft...now there's an underutilized A8 accessory.

The XEP80 apparently uses a 7x10 grid for its character set. Graphics 0 is 8x8, correct? So am I correct in assuming that the resolution in XEP80 "text" mode is 560x480?

And if (you'll have to forgive me here), this article suggests that four colours are possible in Graphics mode 0 by assigning colours to specific characters, and if the standard ATASCII character set can be modified into custom characters, this should allow some flexibility in creating semigraphic displays through the XEP80, right?

Yeah, I was wondering about the VBXE and an ATASCII art program for that!

3 minutes ago, leech said:

Yeah, I was wondering about the VBXE and an ATASCII art program for that!

I thought that I'd keep VBXE out of the discussion because it doesn't have the same graphic limitations of the traditional equipment. It's a great point, but I'm sort of obsessed with the XEP80 because it's just sort of flopping around out there, and people constantly grouse about its problems with displaying bitmapped graphics. But what about semigraphics?  

6 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I thought that I'd keep VBXE out of the discussion because it doesn't have the same graphic limitations of the traditional equipment. It's a great point, but I'm sort of obsessed with the XEP80 because it's just sort of flopping around out there, and people constantly grouse about its problems with displaying bitmapped graphics. But what about semigraphics?  

Yeah.  I actually wondered if someone would recreate a device that added XEP80 support if more software would eventually be written for it.  I brought up the VBXE because of its 80 column support, and was hoping anything written to use that could also be ran on the xep80 (assuming it didn't use any of the fancier modes)

I just looked at the XEP manual and it states that it should run all software that "legally" addresses Gr. 0 and E: commands. I haven't tried it out with any of my Infocom titles, but I'm guessing that they'll work with it. I really have to check to see if I can find a list of all software compatibile with the XEP80.

It's so strange, but when I bought mine in 1989 I ran it a couple of times, and then boxed it away because I couldn't see any practical application for it (and even though I had Atariwriter 80). The NTSC market was just collapsing so quickly that it seemed like an afterthought at the time...but I'm reconsidering now that I see that P8 directly addresses the XDM121, and I now have one of those.

2 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

On a related note, the Mousenet BBS in Germany has all of its ATASCII screens in true 80 columns. They look great on the XEP80 setting of Syncterm. I imagine they would look equally as nice on a native XEP80 card. You can check it out for yourself by telneting to bbs-mousenet.dynip.online:23.

-JP

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I searched for the Analog issue 31 and found it was posted here on AA by someone here ?. Analog Computing 31 1985-06 2 ROTO.atr

Boot with BASIC and select ATASCII..BAS (type 12>Return).

I remember making BASIC programs with ATASCII graphics editor long ago, but can't remember where I got the editor. I thought maybe it would be this editor but I don't think so now that have tried it.

• Like 2