IGNORED

TIPI/FG99 Owners Poll - Preference on storing & using games.

Omega-TI

TIPI/FG99 Game Storage  

9 members have voted

1. 1. I prefer to store most of my games on the...

• FinalGROM 99
    • TIPI

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Truths:  the FinalGROM has a massive amount of storage space.

the TIPI also has a massive amount of storage space.

So the question is, on which device you store most of your games?  While the poll is anonymous, please feel free to tell us WHY you have one preference over another.

I‘m using the tipi storage space, because here I can store everything. In my case I have access to programs like Turbo Pascal, Funnelweb or all the Games from the gameshelf. I use the FG99 too, for loading RXB and Force Command, somtimes also for DM2K.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ti99iuc said:

I still have to understand well how to use my TIPI, I feel a bit dumb but I don't find it so easy and intuitive yet, a lot of new commands to learn. 
so, for the moment at least, I still feel comfortable using FG99 and PEB w/HxC SD ? shame moment

If you treat it as simply a storage device at first and start putting things onto it (after setting up the WiFi), you'll find it's easier to use than you thought.  When it really starts to get interesting is when you add other devices and programs into the mix.  There is one program out there that is weaved together with a bunch of other things to perform the required task.  To operate as designed it REQUIRES a FinalGROM and TIPI, it also requires Extended BASIC on the FinalGROM and it's files in a specific directory on the TIPI.  If that were not enough, it can be combined with other programs.  One recent entry does all that I just mentioned, but it also adds the F18A and Harry Wilhelm's T80XB into the mix.  It took me a minute to wrap my head around that configuration.

I store the originally cartridge games on the FG99.

I store the originally disk and cartridge to disk conversions on the TIPI. 

In my ideal world, I would canonicalized the sets so cartridge->disk->cartridge conversions no longer exist in that mix.

But, they are pretty much just stored... Going back to the eighties, I rarely play games. 

• Like 1

Carts go on fg99, disk based titles for basic, xb etc go on tipi, until someone converts them into carts (like what happened with morphy, much easier to load as a cart)

I have nanopeb too, just in case anything wants sector based disk access, ...

Until tipi is (hopefully) updated to handle that somehow. (I can dream at least)

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Truths:  the FinalGROM has a massive amount of storage space.

the TIPI also has a massive amount of storage space.

So the question is, on which device you store most of your games?  While the poll is anonymous, please feel free to tell us WHY you have one preference over another.

I have a good bit of redundancy in my system.   I prefer working converted .bin files on FG99 (easy to find, less keystrokes, etc.).  ... Force Command makes it easy to launch EA5 and XB games, etc. ... it takes more keystrokes to launch a file from the TIPI or Force Command (even with a batch/script). 

Both ways are fun!

I’m the same way.  I like my cartridges to run from the FG99, but my BASIC programs to run from the TIPI.  A remarkable number of the cartridges that would use a storage device also have no problem using the TIPI for that.  The only one that does not that I’ve run into so far is Video Chess, which will only save/load from cassette.

I use my FG99 or Lotherek HDX-SC floppy emulator for most things. I had them all set up before I got my TIPI, so really haven't put much on the TIPI yet. I prefer the FG99 because it is so easy to use. I'll drag the occasional new file to the TIPI, but if there is a FG99 version I'll use that instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I’m the same way.  I like my cartridges to run from the FG99, but my BASIC programs to run from the TIPI.  A remarkable number of the cartridges that would use a storage device also have no problem using the TIPI for that.  The only one that does not that I’ve run into so far is Video Chess, which will only save/load from cassette.

there's a fix for that.. lemme find it.. i think he made a cart bin with it.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Hangman by M.B. saves custom word lists to cassette only too.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I see @arcadeshopper already beat me to it.  Besides being able to save a chess game, it also makes play easier with the inclusion of joystick routines.

• Like 2