gfvh

Outrun's Lair?

When I started my game Full Bottle that was inspired in Dragon's Lair among a few other games, I originally wanted to do a racing game, that is why it starts like one.

I tried to do Outrun with the same concept of an animation like in Dragon's Lair. It is only an attempt, I don't know if I will finish it, I have other games in mind.

lookout5.bin

• Like 2

Maybe take a look at the FMV game, Road Avenger (also known as Road Blaster, not to be confused with Roadblasters)? It combines driving with a Dragon's Lair style FMV game. 

• Like 2

Yes. I knew of it because @uosipa llamxew compared a previous game of mine to that game. But I want this to be indistinguishable from a game like Outrun for example. That people can't imagine it is an animation.

After a lot of work and shouting to the screen repeatedly, I could make a ROM showing how it could look a "Dragon's Lair" Outrun.

out4.bin

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, gfvh said:

When I started my game Full Bottle that was inspired in Dragon's Lair among a few other games, I originally wanted to do a racing game, that is why it starts like one.

I tried to do Outrun with the same concept of an animation like in Dragon's Lair. It is only an attempt, I don't know if I will finish it, I have other games in mind.

lookout5.binFetching info...

I hope you finish! Your title promises.😃

• Like 1

I did two branches of the "road tree" of Outrun, plus the "trunk". I will add more melodies, with the possibility to change the tune. I don't know if at the begginning or while you are playing.

outrun2.zip

I bought a real Atari 2600, but here the Harmony Cart is too expensive. I was wondering if it was not posible to put a cable in the cartridge slot and polling the adress pins and send data through the data pins by way of a software in my computer. Maybe it is not the right forum to ask.

I finished the leftmost branch of the routes, the ending could be interpreted as "sexist" but don't worry because I have a feminist ending for the next branch ;) so everyone will be happy.

outrun3.zip

I think I finished the game. It still has some errors in the animation. Maybe I will correct them, later.

There is no room for another melody, but there is some space that could be used for more animations.

outrun4.zip

I think I finished this version.

With the "J" key in Stella you can select a background melody, there is only one, I don't know if I have space for another one. With the "G" key (I believe) you stop the music.

If you bump a car you will go back a few meters in your way.

Below there are two digits, these mark the kilometers.

look7.txt look7.bin

New version, and I hope final. Based on suggestions by Wade Casaldi, Eric Barker, Jose Quintero-Frias and Vladimir Zuniga. And the sprite of the car is by Vladimir Zuniga, thanks to him to lend me his sprite, though I changed the width a bit.

look14.txt look14.bin

Edited by gfvh
  • Like 2

I will try to make outrun with image captures of the real game, like I am doing with Wolfenstein.

But previous to that I want to correct somethings of the current version. It seems too slow to me, so I added speed.

look15.bin look15.txt

• Like 1