IGNORED

R.C. Sumo Bots (2600)

Karl G

This is a little 2-player only game project I whipped up while talking a break from Penult. Each player controls a remote control sumo bot. The goal is to knock the other player into the arena, and avoid the same fate. I'm looking for feedback on the look and feel, as well as the fun factor.  ?

sumorobots_8.thumb.png.b6cafed89411bf176a91fc508620895b.png

Sep-8-2020: Version 10 adds bouncing bumpers.

rcsumobots-NTSC-10.bin

rcsumobots-PAL60-10.bin

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

What's imperfect with the physics?

The player collisions are correct for head on collisions, but not for when you collide on the edge, which should send the player more to the side like one might do in billiards. I think most of the time it feels close to correct when playing the game, though. 

37 minutes ago, Karl G said:

The player collisions are correct for head on collisions, but not for when you collide on the edge, which should send the player more to the side like one might do in billiards. I think most of the time it feels close to correct when playing the game, though. 

Most of the time it does feel correct so it's probably 'good enough' but that extra bit would make it even better.

There must be a ton of code out there for calculations of ball physics. Here's one I was able to find fairly quickly:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/345838/ball-to-ball-collision-detection-and-handling

Looking forward to more arenas to play in!! I'll definitely be scheduling this game for an upcoming ZPH stream.

- James

We'll be checking out R.C. Sumo Bots on tomorrow's (Fri Jul 17) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

1 hour ago, Armscar Coder said:

Hey @Karl G, I enjoyed watching your Sumo Bots game last night on ZPH.  I aspire to be able to "whip" up a game like this.

Thanks! You whipped up a pretty nice game yourself. ? 

Also thanks to @ZeroPage Homebrew for playing my game on the show. I've confirmed the blue player advantage bug, but I haven't tracked it down yet.

• Like 1

Im a bit slow to the party (parenting can be hectic) anyway got the chance to give this game a whirl. As many have been saying i too really liking the mechanics you have going here. Takes a bit of practice although not hard to get the feel for it. I would like to leave feedback however can't find anything nick pick about so it's looking good in my eyes ?

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I've been looking into some suggestions that I saw during the show, such as allowing wrapping to the other side of the screen with some board variants as well as the possibility of obstacles in the middle of the screen bouncing you instead of causing a crash. It's often difficult to find testers for two player only games, so that kind of feedback is definitely appreciated. 

• Like 2

Yeah i talked the wife into playing the game with me lol. Both ideas sound great to me, wrapping tunnels adds an extra element of strategy to the game. Pinball like bumpers will realy make the player feel helpless for that brief moment raising their anxiety about taking another hit.

Personally i was thinking and im not sure what resources you have left or would like to go the route. However fuel/energy tanks for the thrusters where each player has their own tank of fuel. Maybe even random refill spawns to mix it up, as it could make for some interesting defensive play strategies. So the player that conserves fuel playing defensive could take the win so to speak. Rather then running out of fuel completely the aggressors thrusters become weaker on low fuel allowing them to salvage more fuel from a near-by spawn.

Just a suggestion i thought you may like

• Like 1

We'll be revisiting the updated version of R.C. Sumo Bots on today's (Wed Jul 22) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

After watching the show, I think there should be a variation with high friction (and more thrust). That would change gameplay quite a lot. You would get real sumo action then.

That's a good idea. Maybe it could be "ground bots" or "air bots" for the friction vs non-friction varieties. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Version 9 added to the first post. This version adds a game variation with friction for each of the board types, as suggested by @Thomas Jentzsch. The variants with friction use a different color scheme to distinguish them.

I'd be interested to hear if the friction level is too much, too little, or feels right.

sumorobots_2.thumb.png.7600f478094e127b13a90670366dde7e.png

• Like 5

ZeroPage Homebrew will be checking out R.C. Sumo Bots on tomorrow's (Fri Sep 11) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

• Like 1