1. 1. Vote

• Famicom (1983)
    • NES
    • Twin Famicom
    • AV Famicom
    • NES Top Loader
    • Other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Gotta love the NES. ? It's an iconic design, and as an added bonus, it also makes for a great hiding spot.. I used to stash my 'doobie snacks', cash, etc inside there as a youngster. ? It's nice to be able to stack other consoles and /or carts on top of it as well. ?

The original grey box is the most stackable and functional in a complex TV setup.  And being a front loader means it doesn't need a lot of overhead space.  And I, personally, love the look.

Im going to go with that.

• Like 1

The original, even if the ZIF connector needs an occasional tweaking and boiling to clean it up so it's not picky.  I'm kind of mixed on the controllers though, love the look of the older design, but the rounded edges of the dogbone are more comfy on the remodel.  These days though my original is back in the box, and the remodel+controller are used as I have it HDMI modded. :)

Also agree with the many comments on classic 80s stackable design.  1991 onward it had the SNES sitting on top of it to save room for more stuff in my cabinets over time.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:14 PM, Tanooki said:

The original, even if the ZIF connector needs an occasional tweaking and boiling to clean it up so it's not picky.  I'm kind of mixed on the controllers though, love the look of the older design, but the rounded edges of the dogbone are more comfy on the remodel.  These days though my original is back in the box, and the remodel+controller are used as I have it HDMI modded. :)

Also agree with the many comments on classic 80s stackable design.  1991 onward it had the SNES sitting on top of it to save room for more stuff in my cabinets over time.

I'm also a toaster fan. But I've never seen a horizontal toaster before...yet we call the top loader a top loader, but it clearly is more like a toaster than the NES toaster! It would make more sense to call the toaster the Side Loader, but we don't.

And that's just ONE of the injustices of this world.

The other is that redesign dogbone controller. Yes, it's comfy to hold. But...the placement if the  BA buttons is ludicrous. Explanation? Forthcoming!

Experiment: turn your phone sideways and ergonomically, naturally, pretend to hold it like an NES pad if your thumbs were free to fall on the buttons how they comfortably would. No, not coming in from the sides as the NES pad forced us to do with the horizontal placement of the BA buttons, but naturally. What plane is your right thumb on?

If you're a human being, it's thumb tip pointing NW (on the B butto) and thumb joint on the SE (on the A button).

Yet what is the dogbone orientation? The exact opposite. It's why I can't stand playing the SNES pad for NES games. BA buttons are just too wonky. Were it properly aligned, it would be 8 Bit nirvana. Instead, it's just 8 Bit pearl jam. You can see what I'm getting at if you take an SNES pad and use the Y button for B and the B button for A. The concave button feel is off, but that's the most ergonomic orientation.

But yeah, toaster.

Edited by atarilovesyou
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 11:47 PM, atarilovesyou said:

I'm also a toaster fan. But I've never seen a horizontal toaster before...yet we call the top loader a top loader, but it clearly is more like a toaster than the NES toaster! It would make more sense to call the toaster the Side Loader, but we don't.

And that's just ONE of the injustices of this world.

The other is that redesign dogbone controller. Yes, it's comfy to hold. But...the placement if the  BA buttons is ludicrous. Explanation? Forthcoming!

Experiment: turn your phone sideways and ergonomically, naturally, pretend to hold it like an NES pad if your thumbs were free to fall on the buttons how they comfortably would. No, not coming in from the sides as the NES pad forced us to do with the horizontal placement of the BA buttons, but naturally. What plane is your right thumb on?

If you're a human being, it's thumb tip pointing NW (on the B butto) and thumb joint on the SE (on the A button).

Yet what is the dogbone orientation? The exact opposite. It's why I can't stand playing the SNES pad for NES games. BA buttons are just too wonky. Were it properly aligned, it would be 8 Bit nirvana. Instead, it's just 8 Bit pearl jam. You can see what I'm getting at if you take an SNES pad and use the Y button for B and the B button for A. The concave button feel is off, but that's the most ergonomic orientation.

But yeah, toaster.

1) Toasters do come side load, but they're toaster ovens.  They have a pop up or drop down door and you slide your bread or whatever to be toasted within.  Maybe a stretch a little, but fits. ;)

2) Explanation is easy, SNES controller with the X and Y buttons chopped off.  They found when designing the SNES that having angled buttons made for more comfortable play than being flat and squared off like the original.

To each their own I guess, I'm comfortable either way.

• Like 1

It was a toaster because it resembles a toaster oven, which is side loaded, at least all I've ever used are. That moniker only came out after the "toploader" came out, I believe in 93. 

My problem with the dogbone controllers is they were WAY to small. They look nice, and the curves dig in a bit less than the square controllers, but just weren't as good as the original.

• Like 1

MY Front loader no question... After a RGB mod (To a Nintendo Multi-out, giving better composite, S-video and RGB SCART) and a Stereo mod (with just a little mix, it sound epic).

Took a LOT of work but, dam it looks and sounds amazing through my Framemeister. 

The front loader was the first system I used and had for the longest time. So no question it would be my choice and why I HAD to find a way to get the best possible picture out of it..

If the top loader NES didn't have the jailbars and AV out (like the AV Famicom) it would have been the best NES to me. I used it out of necessity for the longest time as games more or less just worked in it and not in my toaster NES. But I recently upgraded my toaster with a BLW and now that's my favorite (though I would prefer an AV Famicom).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

If the top loader NES didn't have the jailbars and AV out (like the AV Famicom) it would have been the best NES to me. I used it out of necessity for the longest time as games more or less just worked in it and not in my toaster NES. But I recently upgraded my toaster with a BLW and now that's my favorite (though I would prefer an AV Famicom).

Agreed, so either you get the Nintendo free mailin upgrade to multi-av to get that, you get a good VCR and use that as a RF shield for bars (I did this ages ago with an RCA proscan VCR), or these days hack it with the hi def nes kit and then it really is perfect. :D

• 4 months later...