IGNORED

Turgen System 8.8.x Adventures

baktra

The 8.8.0 version of the tool for creating your own tapes with Atari software has been released.

So, let us start bragging about it...
This version represents a major leap in user experience, convenience and productivity.

Create tape sides
This brand new feature allows to create tape sides from playlist items. Just specify attributes of the sides (duration, initial silence, terminal
silence, gaps between programs) and Turgen System automatically creates one WAVE file per side.
You can create customized side listings. The whole process can be executed in preview mode without creating the WAVE files saving your time and
SSD lifespan. Post-processing of the WAVE files is supported too.
To try this, select the Create tape sides item from the Tools menu.

Wizard for Files
The new wizard is a successor of the Wizard for binary files. There are four major enhancements:

• Support for conversion of binary files and also tape images
  • Support for conversion of multiple files at once
  • Wizard can be alternatively activated by dropping files at the playlist
  • Conversion methods are ordered by comprehensive ranking

To try this, select the Wizard for files item from the Playlist menu.

File Choosers
Most of the file choosers provide default file filters, so you are not distracted by non-relevant files.

Batch Processing
The batch processing shows more intelligence.

• Automatic fallback to default pulses
  • Order convertors by their ranking

UI Refinements
Many portions of the UI have been refined to provide more aesthetically pleasing and more consistent experience.

Documentation
The documentation has been refined. All screenshots are now consistent and up-to-date.

Turbo Decoder
The turbo decoder has been separated from Turgen System and starts its new independent life at GitHub: https://github.com/baktragh/turbodecoder.
Let us wish it will make more progress.

Prefixing wave files
This feature has been removed and is completely replaced by the more advanced Create tape sides tool.

CAS2Audio satellite project

This is an Android app that plays .CAS files on your mobile phone/tablet. Releases are available as .apk packages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Work on a new minor release is in progres.

There will be one gift for the U.S. users. With one checkbox (and restart of the program), all Turbo plugins will be disabled. This will unclutter the UI for those who are using just the Standard and Tape Image Plugins. 

And one gift for all. The Wizard dialog will become 'lazy initialized' instead of transient. This means that second and subsequent invocations of the Wizard will be much faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

The previously mentioned gift for the U.S. users has materialized in recently released 8.8.1. Just one click, restart of the program, and all the turbo plugins you have no use for are out of the way. Tools>Preferences>Ignore all turbo plugins.

Other than that, 8.8.1 brings just a few bugfixes.

Turbo decoder made it to its first release available at its github location.

Edited by baktra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

After separation from Turgen System, the turbo decoder project is getting its first real enhancements. Firstly, it's got a simple DC blocker, a simple algorithm that removes DC offset at runtime. Secondly, it is now getting simulated Schmitt trigger with adjustable hysteresis. This works as the 'turbo error tolerance' function in the a8cas-enhanced atari800 emulator. It is a few steps from being finished. Those of you who are impatient can download now. The Hysteresis of the Schmitt trigger (in samples) is not preserved between program executions.

One has to admit that without the DC blocker and Schmitt trigger, the decoder was really a dumb piece of software. When the Schmitt trigger implementation is complete, I will think of possibility to visualize the signal around a problematic point and making manual changes. This would be limited to WAVE files, of course.

• 3 months later...

Turgen System 8.8.2 is out

This is a maintenance release that brings two bug fixes:

• Wizard for Files: Dropping files to the main window did not create list of files
  • Create tape sides: Fix ClassCastException when adjusting Tape counter settings

A lot of changes happened under the covers. These will materialize in the upcoming releases.

• Preparation for gencas - a new command line interface to Turgen System, which will become a successor to xex2cas
  • Preparation for support of the hybrid binary load files
  • Like 6

So what you can expect in 8.8.3?

In general...

I will be creating thematic branches in git. Having only a master branch that rolls all the time creates chaos. Now, for each feature or a group of features, a branch will be created. Once the feature is fully tested, it will be merged with the master branch. This will make the master branch more stable.

For the KSO Turbo 2000 plugin users...

It turned out that it is difficult to use the KSO Turbo 2000 plugin with a cassette adapter. The "D:" or "T:" device handlers use a 3-KB buffer. It takes some time to copy the data from the buffer to the desired locations in RAM. When the buffer is in RAM under ROM, it takes even more time. The handlers stop the motor and wait until the buffer is copied, but it doesn't work with cassette adapters. The users of the cassette adapter will enable a new configuration entry named "Long gaps between blocks", which will ensure 1.5 seconds of silence between blocks. That should be sufficient. To circumvent this problem now, you can increase duration of the pilot tone.

HiDPI displays...

The JFC Swing library has limited support for HiDPI displays and scaled user interfaces since JDK 9.

Certain pluggable Look and Feels (LaFs) cause trouble. Metal and Nimbus are OK, but the Motif, both Windows LaFs and GTK+ do not look good at all when scaled. That's why I decided to start shipping the FlatLaf look and feel. It is an up-to-date LaF and looks very well on all supported platforms. What is more, a dark variant is available too, so no trouble using TS during night. Shipping will come at a price. The turgen.jar file (which is now located in the program directory) will have to move to the dist/ subdirectory. The .exe launchers will stay where they are. Also the size of the package will increase somehow. I believe it is worth it.

Looks good, doesn't it?

ts_shot_flatlaf.thumb.png.a5db9d770aa66a3eef983c58419cb7cf.png

Status of my equipment...

After relocating, I can use a real hardware again for testing here and there. I have one XL12 data recorder with Czechoslovak Super Turbo and one XC12 with KSO Turbo (joystick port). This allows me to test most of the turbo systems, especially with my TBA UnoCart where I can place various loaders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 8.8.3 is out with all changes described above. Enjoy the new look and feel with HiDPI displays.

Follow the advice in the changelog and uninstall your previous version first before you download and install the new one. Don't worry, your user settings will remain untouched. I just don't want you to have mess in the program directory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The 8.8.4 is out. It will mostly please Polish users of the KSO Turbo 2000 system (or its derivatives). The plugin now supports conversion of binary load files to the Speedy2700 format.

The Speedy2700 format is very efficient and dense for storing and loading binary load files, because it reduces time wasted by pilot tones to the absolute minimum - only when there is an INIT segment and the motor needs to be stopped. Otherwise the flow of the data from the cassette to the computer is uninterrupted. So unless you have a binary load file with tons of INIT segments, you get more speed. The Speedy2700 loader is from 1990. Members of atari.area did some digging and this is one of the results.

One of the advantages of the Speedy2700 loader is the fact that it automatically detects source of the signal (SIO data IN or JS port) so it works with all the KSO Turbo 2000 variants and derivatives just out of the box.

There are no solid plans for next release. If there are good news on the hybrid binary load files, then the Standard plugin will receive official support for them. Otherwise it is most likely that work on the gencas facility described few post above will continue. But it can also be something else...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So it is time to begin analyzing the survey.

I've collected fewer responses than expected, so let us assume that those who didn't answer are either satisfied with the product or dissatisfied so much that the product is beyond repair for them.

Let us cover the first three questions of the survey

Question #1

This question can be also translated to - what are the main pain points in the product?

large.chart01_features.png.22d198c7b71e5bc151220739c060ecbe.png

The answers are spread evenly, we do not have a clear winner, but two items stand out.

1. Tape image extractor. Yes, I have to admit that the extractor is a good idea, but was left somehow unfinished. Extracting data from anything else than standard tape records is still tedious. I believe a system of simple tape extraction plugins for various use cases would be helpful (e.g. Extract Turbo 2000 file, Extract boot file, Extract Turbo Blizzard file). Or should the extractor be promoted to full editor? Let me know.

2. Artwork. Oh, yes. The splash screen is rudimentary at best and the icons are taken from the old, rugged Tango project. The project logo is also basic. I suspect the Icons are the pain point. Perhaps I can take a look for a different free icon set. If it is something else than icons, let me know

The remaining items have one vote, so it is hard to comment on. I will do it anyway

1. Wizard for files and Batch processing. These are quite advanced already. if something is missing/annoying/clumsy, be specific and let me know.

2. Pilot Tone Test. Good that this feature has its users. Anything missing?

3. Monolithic binary file creation. Such tool cannot do wonders, but within its limitations, what I can do for you? Better UI? Ability to remove segments?

4. More technical info on turbo systems. I believe i provide decent technical descriptions. I do not include schematics, because I cannot verify them and they are elsewhere. Perhaps encyclopedic information is missing - origin, stories, names. Let me know. Or are you missing information on Turgen-specific file formats such as Omicron Turbo or ChainLoading?

5. Displaying pictures during turbo loading (the last item). No, no, and no. Atari doesn't have enough computational power to do so. Sorry.

Question #2 - Favorite Functions

large.chart02_favorites.png.50b5d1c566a20d48150d73d6ba72737c.png

Except the Tape Image Extractor, these are the functions TS was designed to. Make your tapes with games easily.

Question #3 - How much do you like the Standard plugin

large.chart03_standard.png.6fd3c377795a21128d9c894b00d8ea47.png

Support for the Standard tape records (C:) has been added very late to the product as an afterthought. I have to admit, that was a serious mistake, as I have ignored many users from the "western markets"- US, GB and Germany.

It seems the plugin is satisfactory. My personal feeling is that the only item missing is some advanced binary loader that uses longer blocks and higher baud rate. Something like the PRISMA, IRON Turbo, STAC or SITRE.
Or perhaps it is the support for creating dual track tapes that is missing? Let me know.

And now... point your guns covid thermometers at me and shoot!

On 9/1/2021 at 1:48 PM, archeocomp said:

I did not wote cause I have only used the program for a week. But I plan to use it more. Thanks for your work.

Thanks. You can share feedback directly in this thread later, if you feel like it. I am looking for features that are not good or lacking.

So, let us get back to the product survey with the three remaining questions.

General rating

large.chart04_general.png.19bc1701f85fe5e7127940057d8376ad.png

It is obvious that the respondents are highly satisfied with the product in general. There is not much to add. I will keep up the good work.

User Interface

large.chart05_ui.png.a8cb64f4213e5c6ba1ab871e6cb71769.png

It would appear that some improvements might be in place. Please post your comments and tell me which windows and dialogs need an overhaul.

Don't you like the default look and Feel? Go to Tools>Preferences>TURGEN, and set GUI Look and Feel to FlatLaf. Woo hoo! 

Commercial Use.

large.chart06_commercial.png.6ec28c692dfff4da41e0690abe7f1e9a.png

Not making money using Turgen System? If you see opportunity to make some, don't hesitate. The license of the product allows it without any restrictions.

Create a collection of games, record them to the tape, create a nice booklet and sell it to whoever wants it. I have been doing so for some time and made some pocket money.

General Complaints

large.chart07_complaints.png.a439ceadf099656654143cbb45de3d96.png

The turbo decoder was removed, in order to accelerate its development. TURGEN still relies on conservative 'release system', so making changes and releasing them is slow.

Turbo Decoder requires more aggressive development as the TODO list is rather extensive, so decoupling it and having it as a separate project developed from commit to commit seemed like a good idea. The DSP processing system must be completely overhauled and the user interface must be enhanced to actually visualize the signal (just as any digitized sound editor does).

It is not happening yet. Firstly, I do not have enough knowledge of DSP yet. Secondly, there are products which are much more advanced already (Altirra 4.00 and modified atari800-a8cas), so investing time in the decoder is questionable. And I do like developing TURGEN and despise developing the decoder...

What is being baked now? The GENCAS command line utility, a successor of xex2cas using TURGEN's engine.

It is not yet fully on par with xex2cas, but it will be soon. A sample of what is supported so far.

7.7 GENCAS Command Line Tool

GENCAS is a command line tool that converts binary load files to a tape image with standard tape records. GENCAS is a replacement for the XEX2CAS utility.
The syntax is the following:
gencas.exe
[-mode:mode] [options] <input_file> [output_tape_image]
or
java -cp dist/turgen.jar turgen.gencas.CLIGenCas
[-mode:mode] [options] <input_file> [output_tape_image]

7.7.1 Processing Modes

Mode
Description
binary
Convert binary file to standard tape records. This is the default mode.

7.7.2 Primary Options

Option
Description
-r
Overwrite output file if it exists.
-ldr:<n>
Select binary loader. 0 no loader;1 TSCBL (default); 2 X-Loader.
-spd:<n>
Transfer speed. 400-1200 bps.
-fuji:<string>
FUJI chunk string. Default is an empty string.
-s
Short leader tone (14 s). Default is 20 s.

7.7.3 Cosmetic Options

These options affect 'look and feel' of the loading process. These options are fully supported only by the TSCBL binary loader.
Option
Description
-bg:<n>
Background color. 0-255. Default is 148.
-fg:<n>
Foreground luminance. 0-15. Default is 10.
-title:<string>
Program title displayed by the binary loader. If not specified, the program title is derived from the input file name.
-crsinh:<n>
Cursor inhibition. 0 Cursor visible; 1 cursor not visible.
-soundr:<n>
Noisy I/O. 0 Silent ; 1 noisy.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The GENCAS development is taking a momentum. And it comes with an unseen function. Conversion to turbo from the command line. You can convert binary load files using selected binary convertor. The binary convertors are an old concept introduced with Wizard for files and further developed with batch processing. Now you can use them also from the command line as follows:

GENCAS.EXE -mode:turbo "-conv:Super Turbo - Blockloading" -pulses:"T2925" test16k.xex test16kt03.cas

GENCAS.EXE -mode:turbo "-conv:Turbo Blizzard" test16k.xex test16kt02.cas

• Like 2

Who is watching the git repository realizes that two new options have been added.

-autosilence:<n> seconds. This automatically a silence list, n seconds for each segment, where n is an integer.

-silencelist:<string>. This specifies a silence list. Syntax is the same as in the GUI, a comma separated list of values.

I will keep testing the GENCAS to see if there are any bugs. Then I will see if I can make life easier for non-Windows users.

Specifying gencas.exe is definitely more convenient than java -cp dist/turgen.jar turgen.gencas.CLIGenCas, so i will see if there are any options. For start, it could be just gencas.sh

Then TURGEN 8.8.7 will be released and I will see if there is any further feedback for the CLI.

Edited by baktra
  • Like 3

TURGEN 8.8.6 - "High Command" is out.

It brings the GENCAS command line interface (CLI) I was bragging about in the posts above.

The CLI is for advanced users indeed. For full description and instructions refer to the product documentation, section 'GENCAS Command Line Tool'. Here, I will only emphasize that the CLI is just an interface to the existing code base, so you still need Java to run it.

Enjoy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Before the dust settles after the GENCAS explosion, it is time to figure out what to do next.

There are some candidate enhancements, which I will be choosing from.

1. Seeing the power of the Speedy2700 loading system for KSO Turbo 2000 (and the Unerring Master system too), it is very tempting to create something similar for the Turbo 2000 and Omicron Turbo systems. This would render ChainLoading and BlockLoading obsolete (but not removed from TURGEN). The most challenging part would be coding a loader in 6502 assembly.

2. Gather information on Atari Turbo Tape (ATT) and Turbo Rapider and add plugins or conversion types to support these formats.

3. Enhance the CAS2Audio Android App to support manual PAUSE. More challenging than it seems indeed. The question is when to pause and from where to resume. An ideal solution would be to pass information from the silence list, but the .cas format as it is now has only support for silence.

4. Enhance the GENCAS CLI if someone would require something reasonable.

So far I was asked to do a minor fix for Unnering Master - generate header more friendly to standard UM tooling, it has been merged.

Edited by baktra
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, is there anyone using the 'Pulse corrections' function?

I would tend to believe that with support for sampling rate of 48 000 Hz, the function is no longer necessary. Anyway, if some pulses are wrong, it would be best to fix them permanently for everyone.

I am considering removing that function as 'no longer necessary'.

• Confused 1