IGNORED

400 with full keyboard on original Magnam PI

gilsaluki

Magnum in this particular episode is laid up in the hospital with a broken shoulder and is bed ridden alongside a game-playing fanatic kid in the next bed.  The kid is playing Atari on his modified 400 (12 feet from a Black & White TV).  The computer is in his lap. Rick (Thomas's close friend) is playing with the kid.  The camera scans the TV quickly and you can see Defender on the screen.  Then in another scene you can spot Missile Command.  In yet another, you can spot Donkey Kong.  The kid teaches the "adults" that the computer can be used to check personnel files within the CIA.  It's silly but, fun.  Magnum subsequently uses the computer, with one good hand to tap into another computer.  The keyboard looked really nice.  No wires can be spotted leading to the TV.  Clearly a 400 with a keyboard, however.  Just saw the episode last night. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

We knew a guy way back when who had an acoustic coupler modem, I think we were jealous as we only had the XM301, and the one he had was 1200 baud.  But it was hooked to his 800xl, but I remember it also not being black.  Was there another one out there for the Atari's that was 1200 baud instead of 300?  Only other memory I have of that, was that he gave us a copy of Spy vs Spy and said he hadn't been able to figure out how to play it, so we were determined to do so when we got home, and eventually did.  That game rules (also the music on the Atari version just seems way better than the C64 version).

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm not aware of any 1200 baud acoustic coupled modems, at least not for the Atari.  Once the 1030 came out, everything was self contained.  It went 1030, XM301, then SX212 (300, 300, 1200 baud respectively).

Could be he was just trying to make himself cooler.  Could have sworn he said it was 1200.  But then I think that was over 30 years ago!

34 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm not aware of any 1200 baud acoustic coupled modems, at least not for the Atari.  Once the 1030 came out, everything was self contained.  It went 1030, XM301, then SX212 (300, 300, 1200 baud respectively).

You forgot the Atari 835 modem before the 1030.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Should have known better, as I have one of each :)  I even still have a desk phone with receiver that fits into  the 830 acoustic.

Oh, now I just want to see a full stack of all of the early 800 style stuff set up!  The 835 with 850 looks sweet.  I'm still sad I don't have my 810 anymore.  May have to track one down, and I still am missing a 400 in my collection....