IGNORED

Lotharek SIO2SD on a 400 - locks up

johndias

I have the exact device from Lotharek and it hung on my 800 too when I first got it.  It worked much better when I downgraded to the 2.5 version of the device firmware.

It also works much more reliably if the SIO bus has a strong power source (I think my 800 alone was a little weak).  I am running mine with his SIO Splitter with a power supply I got on amazon and it is very stable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719GY29M

Edited by retrobits
  • Like 1

Yeah, I forgot about that, but when I first got my SIO2SD, it didn't work on my 800 either.  I found the "fixed" version of the loader somewhere online.  I don't remember at the moment what the difference was - I think the loader called some OS routine directly instead of through the vector, and as luck would have it, the routine changed addresses between the 800 OS and the XL/XE OS (and it was written for the newer OS).  I let him know about it, so I am glad that he added the fixed version to his site to help other 400/800 users.

Edited by StickJock

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, johndias said:

So, even with the fixed version on Lotharek's website I find that there are some functions that don't work ("?" for search, numbers to load disks) and if I browse into a directory with a lot of files (maybe more than 30?) the whole thing locks up. Any idea where you found your fixed version @StickJock?

No clue.  It was a while back.

I don't think that I tried the keyboard functions.  I just used the joystick to select the file, and the button to launch it.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, johndias said:

Actually, I see he's got a "fixed" loader for 400/800 on the files section of the product page. Hmmmmmm.....

....annnnnnd that fixed it!

I think the issue is that the SIO2SD tries to load a patch to the OS at boot, to enable high-speed SIO operation.  But the OS patch fails on the 400/800 ROM.