IGNORED

Thexder mode 3?

Serguei2

Just now, zyzzle said:

Please give a super-quick list of the modes.

I think they're 256x192, 64x48 and 40x24 (text mode). Is this correct?

Well, TMS9918 is a tile based video. So even 256x192 is 32x24 tiles. You get two variations of that mode. One is 256 tiles max, two colors per tile, but each group of 8 tiles share the same 2 colors. The mode most used in games is a little more complex. 256 tiles per screen "third", so 3 sets of 256 tiles per screen. Also, each tile can use two colors per pixe row, and since a tile is 8x8 pixels, that means 8 pixel rows, or 16 colors per tile. 

9 minutes ago, zyzzle said:

Ah.. OK a little more complicated than I thought. I erroneously thought there was only one tiled mode, one text mode, and one 1:1 bitmapped mode. But, thinking about it a 256x192, some of the title screens and art on CV sure had me fooled.

I thought Thexder uses 128x192 somehow.

6 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

I thought Thexder uses 128x192 somehow.

It uses Mode 2 , 256x192  , but  It is possible the tile patterns are designed in a way it looks like 128x192 to ease the horizontal scrolling.  I did not run Thexter recently but i guess it scroll horizontally per step of 4 pixels each time?  if not, it could be it was planed at the beginning but not implemented.

that would explain the 128x192 aspect.

Edited by youki

6 hours ago, youki said:

It uses Mode 2 , 256x192  , but  It is possible the tile patterns are designed in a way it looks like 128x192 to ease the horizontal scrolling.  I did not run Thexter recently but i guess it scroll horizontally per step of 4 pixels each time?  if not, it could be it was planed at the beginning but not implemented.

that would explain the 128x192 aspect.

Does SGM support smoother scrolling?

Or programming tricks?