Sign in to follow this  
flickertail

Intellivision Controllers and Amico System

Since the Amico game system controllers support Bluetooth, I'm going to take a stab and supporting them in the MrBoehm project. (See my AA blog for more details).

I'm looking for someone with an in-depth understanding of the original Intellivision controllers who might be willing to provide guidance on how I can configure the MrBoehm controller output so that I can provide Amico controller support for the original Intellivision systems.

PM if you're interested in volunteering.

Thanks,

Aaron

Posted (edited)

There is no power pin on the Intellivision controller.

Pin 5 is the common ground.

So as any particular button, or disc direction, is pressed you are simply passing ground to those needed pins.

The pins are pulled up in the console, and pulled low by pressing something on the controller.

If you measure the voltage of the pins when nothing is pressed, it would measure 5v

Edited by fdr4prez

Thanks, after I checked out that page, it became apparent that I'll be able to implement the controllers with the proper conversion cables. Unfortunately, because there is no power pin, the MrBoehm won't be able to backpower off the controller ports, but who knows if that will really be a viable option, even for the Atari's.

Should still be able to get it to work with a reasonable USB battery or USB power source. Pin wise, it looks really easy to implement.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, flickertail said:

Thanks, after I checked out that page, it became apparent that I'll be able to implement the controllers with the proper conversion cables. Unfortunately, because there is no power pin, the MrBoehm won't be able to backpower off the controller ports, but who knows if that will really be a viable option, even for the Atari's.

Should still be able to get it to work with a reasonable USB battery or USB power source. Pin wise, it looks really easy to implement.

Yes, an external power source will be needed.

It would be best if you have optoisolaters used between the console and whatever adapter you are planning on building.  This way the console never sees anything other than its own ground signal. 

Or at minimum a diode on each pin so the circuit's power isn't fed into the Intellivision console.  Otherwise you can get this issue:

543188163_garbledvideo.jpg.5c4b1cbfef59b509820905de4817798a.jpg

Edited by fdr4prez

That's good to know as well. Might have to go with diodes on the converter cable PCB, I don't think we can put them on the MrBoehm PCB.

14 minutes ago, flickertail said:

@fdr4prez - Any chance you have similar pointers for Colecovision controllers?

Sorry, no, I've never played any colecovision game.

a google search for "colecovision controller schematic" has many results, and others here may know any tricks of the trade; or head over to the Colecovision subforum here.

Thanks, for the INTV info.

I did a quick search. I found one schematic that was detailed, but I couldn't quite follow it. I'll pop into the Colecovision forum and see if I can find the info. I'll also keep searching google for a better explanation.

Never mind, I used "colecovision controller spec" instead of "specification", which returns better results. Thanks.