IGNORED

Season 10 ~ Week 11 ~ Silver Medal Pick!

Vocelli

37 minutes ago, Dr Moocowz said:

I'm probably not revisiting this one again, but I am curious on why the scores are different for people? I've not paid attention to the scoring when I played, because I'm constantly avoiding that damn bullet and trying to find gaps in the shield to look through.

I've actually only really realized this a couple days ago, so I'll go ahead and share, I suppose...

:D

You earn points as time passes-i.e., you don't really want to finish off the game as quickly as possible, get to the last killing blow and try to kill as much time as possible, delivering the final blow as late as you possibly can.

Also-(just my opinion), start exclusively with the right cannon, and pack the blockers as tightly as possible, you can make a very small line if you are careful.

I'm not as good on the left cannon, but you want to make sure to leave several gaps large enough to get bullets through, you can get to the final cannon with a bad "arrangement" and not even have a chance to get a shot off, let alone 20.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Death Trap, new attempt  34,138

Performed on July 24th, 2020

Timeline:

00:00 - My username on a piece of paper

00:05 - Stella Emulator startup

00:11 - Title select

00:16 - Game Properties / Difficulty Switches (B/Novice on both sides)

00:23 - Death Trap startup

00:25 - Variation select (X mode - Normal)

03:56 - Start of successful run in X mode

15:43 - End of run and final score shown - 34,138 points

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, nads said:

Fun game! Unfortunately got shot at the death after taking out the last cannon, but Ill take the score

I thought that was gonna happen to me!

Got better at Thread the Needle the Video Game...

32,727 Completed X Mode

1723389439_DeathTrap2020-07-2510_46_50.thumb.png.1fd15976af759a0253a74aa021759eb1.png

Such a fun game! Stressful but rewarding. Once I got a feel for it, I was less concerned about my score and just focused on beating it (such a rarity to have an ending). Honestly, seeing so many here finish it (with very close scores) gave me confidence that it was more doable than some of the other crazy high scores we see here.

I had a few games where I was getting real close, but I was taking so long to get shots in on the last generator b/c I had way too many shields up. But once I started really focusing on creating long connected shields, and even more so, trying to double up the shields so I could have big gaps, it become more strategic and fun. When I got to the last generator, I had such a nice opening, I was able to get two shots in at a time. It gets so intense at the end, how each hit brings one death trap down and if you wait too long, the other death trap comes up. Now on to hard mode...?!?! Hahaha.

Thanks for the vid Deteacher! I scrubbed around a bit and it solidified my plan to double up the shields.

*EDIT* Whoops, Deteacher had good tips, but it was Oyama Family with the video. Thanks!

Edited by fakecortex
wrong credit
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

I thought that was gonna happen to me!

Got better at Thread the Needle the Video Game...

32,727 Completed X Mode

1723389439_DeathTrap2020-07-2510_46_50.thumb.png.1fd15976af759a0253a74aa021759eb1.png

Such a fun game! Stressful but rewarding. Once I got a feel for it, I was less concerned about my score and just focused on beating it (such a rarity to have an ending). Honestly, seeing so many here finish it (with very close scores) gave me confidence that it was more doable than some of the other crazy high scores we see here.

I had a few games where I was getting real close, but I was taking so long to get shots in on the last generator b/c I had way too many shields up. But once I started really focusing on creating long connected shields, and even more so, trying to double up the shields so I could have big gaps, it become more strategic and fun. When I got to the last generator, I had such a nice opening, I was able to get two shots in at a time. It gets so intense at the end, how each hit brings one death trap down and if you wait too long, the other death trap comes up. Now on to hard mode...?!?! Hahaha.

Thanks for the vid Deteacher! I scrubbed around a bit and it solidified my plan to double up the shields.

Really proud of you, not that I don't think you are "good", but with this game being new to you, I think you knew you were gonna have to play just a little over your head, learn quickly, to get it, but I was also pretty sure you were stubborn enough to get it done!

Congrats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Improvement! and this time I got the Medal ?

Also I think Ive worked some scoring out, whilst it seems taking longer is better, but only after you have Knocked out the First 2 cannons

Take those Out quickly as possible, not hitting either of them within 15 seconds (according to the Manual) will cost you 90 points as the Force Field drops down one level.

After that hold your nerve!

Death Trap X MODE : 32,908

32908.thumb.JPG.9c2123a309cfdd8d0b61cf699f8f4814.JPG

Edited by nads
  • Like 4

On 7/24/2020 at 9:35 AM, Rogerpoco said:

I've actually only really realized this a couple days ago, so I'll go ahead and share, I suppose...

:D

You earn points as time passes-i.e., you don't really want to finish off the game as quickly as possible, get to the last killing blow and try to kill as much time as possible, delivering the final blow as late as you possibly can.

Also-(just my opinion), start exclusively with the right cannon, and pack the blockers as tightly as possible, you can make a very small line if you are careful.

I'm not as good on the left cannon, but you want to make sure to leave several gaps large enough to get bullets through, you can get to the final cannon with a bad "arrangement" and not even have a chance to get a shot off, let alone 20.

The real question for me is how to produce a good arrangement. Your strategy of focusing entirely on destroying the right cannon first got me closer to winning than I have yet (thank you for that) but I'm still stymied about arrangement and I've tried just about everything.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, AtariWarlord said:

The real question for me is how to produce a good arrangement. Your strategy of focusing entirely on destroying the right cannon first got me closer to winning than I have yet (thank you for that) but I'm still stymied about arrangement and I've tried just about everything.

I would check out the video from Oyama Family. Moving the torpedoes around the shields in order to hit the gun and create a new shield immediately after one (or better yet, in the same place as one), is how I created an arrangement that let me win. When I first started playing, I had tons of little gaps and once that center generator came up, it was almost impossible to hit it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AtariWarlord said:

After I get as small of a line as I can from the right cannon, I try to fire shots that almost graze the block going left, from the right cannon for a while, and make a small arrangement there, then about halfway thru I start trying to shoot just as the left-moving block passes, and make another tight formation there.

Good Luck!!!

• Like 1