IGNORED

What TV do you play Atari on?

hizzy

I guess the title speaks for itself. I was curious to know what model/brand of TV you folks play Atari on. Do you have a modded system with a Trinitron? Are you an old-school RF person? Right now, I am playing a stock 2600 on a Samsung Flat Screen through and RF connection. I also have a modded Vader with composite and s-video that I use on the same tv. Has a bit of screen jitter, so I'm looking for a small CRT.

I just have one of those little Magnavox CRTs with built-in (broken) VCR. Trinitron would be cool, but it hasn't happened yet. Last time I checked the video mods (which was a long time ago), none of them were perfect, so I just leave composite 2600 to the Flashback 2.0. I feel like a little bit of RF fuzz adds to the texture of the picture, anyway.

I have a bigger TV, but the geometry is off, it needs a recap. So I usually just use the little one instead.

• Like 2

1702 Commodore monitor. Yes it's only 13" , but it's Atari :) notnot really super tiny high res images to deal with.

Outside of that, I've got several crts (crt all the way) and my consoles remain unmodded, and likely will will repair becomes required.

• Like 1

32" samsung crt circa 2003. Don't know the model offhand but it's  an odd duck in that it is a non-interlaced ntsc crt,  so image is more like a computer monitor than traditional ntsc tv (no visible scanlines).  Love it for playing old videogames;  hope it doesn't die anytime soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eegad said:

32" samsung crt circa 2003.

I was just looking at my Magnavox last night, it's a 2002.

Was trying to see if I could get into the service menu (the screen needs to shift right about 8 pixels), but none of the codes worked :(

• Like 1

I am playing on a Minerva M1403 CRT. 37cm. Just 38W power consumption. I guess the TV is older than 25 years. Minerva was an austrian company. Does not exist anymore. Unfortunately. Of course Im playing via RF. I found out my LCD erases some effects in certain games. Take Haunted House for example when you lit the light. On the CRT the whole aura flickers, on my LCD only the outer 4 edge squares flicker, the rest of the aura stays solid. On several other games I found out the phosphor effect adds pretty nice appearance to the games at all. Even homebrews do look better on the CRT. I LOVE Scramble on the CRT (and really want my physical copy now to be delivered by the post!!! Grrr!)

Overall Im PRETTY pleased with the output via RF!!! I should have known earlier, but went the wrong way to think modern technics will deliver more, because of technology. I was false!

For HDMI Output I have a Fb9, R77 and a modded jr. My light 6 stays original! Even the R77 with a HDMI to Scart adapter looks fine on the CRT in my opinion...But thats just me: Old man,with old eyes, so hdmi doesnt matter any more :-D 

1D087C67-9A58-4465-8D77-BFF006C09581.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My setup goes like this:

s-video 7800 -> Extron 7sc -> VGA input on OSSC -> HDMI out to my 48" Sony Bravia LED. The Extron does a really good job of handling the interlace signals with only minimal tearing of the image. 

• Like 1

I use a tiny 9 inch Toshiba MD9DL1 CRT-DVD combo. I used to use a 19 inch woodgrain Magnavox(seems to have been produced around the late 80s-early 90s)but it's died on me many months ago while I was playing Adventure.

It may be tiny but I still have everything that uses RF connected to it, since my 1702 doesn't accept RF. I also have my Playstation and PS2 connected to it as well, and although GT4 on a 9" CRT isn't the best, I find it suitable for the PS1 since the graphics are so bad.

• Like 1