IGNORED

What TV do you play Atari on?

hizzy

Samsung 50" plasma from ~2012 and J-Tech A/V switch.  There is some overscan from J-Tech on some game systems.

Funny a-side: When I was shopping for this with my wife, we were comparing two Samsung plasma models.  We could either afford a larger TV with a slightly less quality picture or this one with a better picture.  So I told the salesman and my wife that I will give my wife the choice of quality or size.  Neither of which I had given her before.  Wife rolled eyes, salesman stopped dead in his tracks and did everything he could to not laugh, but to no avail.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

How do you like this Toshiba model? I'm thinking about picking one up. Does it work with light gun games? I know some "flat front" CRTs don't play nice with light guns. 

I like it so much that I have two of these CRT’s.
It works fine with light gun games.

6651D704-EC7C-4DF1-986A-B23917C134E2.jpeg

• Like 2

32" Sanyo CRT from around 2002

It has decent color, works alright for gun games but it's limited to 1 coax, 2 composite and

1 shared component connection that is tied into the second composites input. I find that setup

very strange as all 3 have separate video channels on the menu but it's impossible to use more

than 2 of them at a time be it 2 composite or 1 composite and 1 component.

I have a cable connection to video 1 and an 8 way splitter on video 2. The Coax I leave open for

quick testing whatever uses it with on the fly if I ever need an RF connection.

It was free so I can't bitch.

What's a good TV for watching anime? - Forums - MyAnimeList.net

(not my pic, but the same model TV I use)

RCA 27" with unmodified Vader. It also has a Retron 3, PS1 slim, Nintendo 64, and PS2 fatty. I used to have an original NES, SNES, and Genesis but got the Retron because I needed more room. I'm not telling you all about my NES Classic, SNES Classic, Atari Flashback 9, Genesis Flashback, Genesis Classic, or Playstation Classic that I connect to my 24" widescreen on the otherside of the room. :)

I use two. A 20" CRT for an original Sears Video Arcade II and (usually) A Retron 77 on my flatsceen. It's nice sitting across the room on big screen from a comfortable chair, but I'll use the 20 incher whenever I want the 'classic' experience.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 10:24 AM, Crazy Climber said:

20200401_192912.jpg

Cool Cat's eyes they glow like miniature green CRT's! :) 

Awesome functional setups - I particularly liked the dual VIC-20 & C64 custom wood work and shared peripherals!

I also have a couple of old-school Televisions, they all have such a warm phosphor glow compared to modern displays but there is some variation in the glow across brands and wear over time, which CRT's have the best glow in your collection?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mr SQL said:

Cool Cat's eyes they glow like miniature green CRT's! :) 

Awesome functional setups - I particularly liked the dual VIC-20 & C64 custom wood work and shared peripherals!

I also have a couple of old-school Televisions, they all have such a warm phosphor glow compared to modern displays but there is some variation in the glow across brands and wear over time, which CRT's have the best glow in your collection?

haha, Thanks! Yeah, I was originally trying to go for kind of a "school computer lab" thing but with prices skyrocketing on old systems/monitors I just went with the two. I try to make my collection something my friends and kids can play around with and I won't be too bothered if they accidentally break something/etc

Agreed, the glow is a huge factor. I love the 1702 monitors overall but the big Zenith system 3 gives the best glow. I saved it from a Barn, it smelled like horses for months lol. I'm glad I put up with it though as it's the glowiest(?) of them all!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

haha, Thanks! Yeah, I was originally trying to go for kind of a "school computer lab" thing but with prices skyrocketing on old systems/monitors I just went with the two. I try to make my collection something my friends and kids can play around with and I won't be too bothered if they accidentally break something/etc

Agreed, the glow is a huge factor. I love the 1702 monitors overall but the big Zenith system 3 gives the best glow. I saved it from a Barn, it smelled like horses for months lol. I'm glad I put up with it though as it's the glowiest(?) of them all!

My big Zenith also is the glowiest, so phosphorescent it feels like the Outer Limits playing at night! :)  I've no idea what model it is but it only has a COAX input like HDN's:

BigZenithBestGlow.thumb.jpg.df68602d3100e1145c8a9b6f13848ecc.jpg

I've noticed the model of Atari that is used can have a big effect on the CRT glow as well -

I have my Heavy Sixer hooked up to my big Zenith because it potentiates the most glow  - my Vader glows a bit less and my Junior much less though it still has a nice glow on it, I imagine the 7800 must have duller video output like the Jr model.

I really like the excessive chroma leakage on the Vader and the Heavy Sixer that is causing this, it brings out unexpected artifact colors in some games and textures some colors over RF! Folks doing a composite mod should be careful not to dim the glow.

The Atari's nonstandard 240p signal is so bright they were initially worried about burn-in because of it - games like Defender look fantastic just cycling through the color palette in standby mode.

• Like 2