IGNORED

What TV do you play Atari on?

hizzy

10 hours ago, mike99mccarthy said:

1982 Quasar 25” Console tv! I use it for everything(Atari, NES, Genesis, VHS, Laserdisc, HD-DVD & Roku)

I've got a Sears Heavy sixer hooked up RF

8CBC2C2A-C6C5-4431-9246-63950C86BB69.jpeg

Proper?

Nice cordless in the background.

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 1

Crt's. My beloved huge wooden cab 77 27 inch Hitachi conked out 2 years ago. I 've kept any CRT i could get my hands on. I have several, a 14 inch, 2- 27 inch Sanyo's, a 21 inch Memorex TV/VCR combo, great TV it is. And a few more  i got at Value Village for real cheap.

Edited by Rik
forgt to add some info

• 2 weeks later...

I have too many to choose from.....

1970 Zenith cabinet TV

1976 Zenith Chromacolor II

1978 Sony Trinitron

1979 Sony Trinitron cabinet TV

1982 Sony Trinitron

1984 Zenith Advanced System 3 cabinet TV

1984 Zenith Advanced System 3 cabinet (space phone) TV

1984 Zenith System 3 Cabinet TV

I really need to stop picking up old TVs when I see them for free at the curb ?

• Like 4

I have a couple right now....

A GE Portacolor 9" TV from 1983 that is currently busted. Currently trying to get this one fixed.

A cheapy GE 13" RF-only TV from 1993 that I picked up from the side of the road the other day in working condition.

Other than that, a Commodore 1080 with a cheapy RCA VCR to demodulate the RF signal.

I'm going to get rid of one of the GEs. The Portacolor I feel is more period-correct for my Coleco/Atari/Commodore habit, but the '93 set is a better set for the most part. Apart from the immediate problem on the Portacolor (at least a shorted rectifier diode on the AC input), it has some problems with the picture being washed out/too bright on the left 1/3 of the screen. I think it has some value these days, so I'm putting a little bit of effort into resurrecting it.

Mostly, my Sony Bravia 46" HDTV, using a CyberTech S-Video modded 2600:

Bravia.thumb.jpg.ab9241528680ed1318fd52544531ecc5.jpg

Recently, I've been borrowing a Sony PVM 14M2U from work to fix a few 2600's:

PVM.thumb.jpg.8ac06386ac08f184feb6115129f834c2.jpg

I still have my original 1981 Sharp LinytronPlus 9D18. Unfortunately, it seems to be on its last leg. I'm going to see if I can find someone to repair it though. This was the last time it worked well enough for me to get a photo of it:

Sharp.thumb.jpg.e9c884137ed757b58873787733dc411b.jpg

• Like 1

It's an LG Flatron M228WA: 22" LED screen, and the inputs are RF coax, AV composite, component, S-Video, DVI, VGA.  No HDMI.

It works great with all my old RF systems and the display and sounds were pretty decent, especially for a measly $15!

I also use it with my Jaguar S-Video and N64 AV composite.  

• Like 1

I have a 37" Sony Trinitron from 1990. It weighs 180 lbs. It was fun watching the movers try to get it into the basement the last time we moved. My wife thinks I'm nuts for keeping the beast, but it really has a great picture for retro gaming. It also has svideo inputs for use with SNES, N64 and Playstation.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20" Toshiba CRT TV  - This is the TV I usually use. It has composite out making it easy to record RF or composite input from my vintage video game systems and computers.

IMG_7084 (2).jpg

13" Samsung color TV (manufactured Nov 1984) - I have a Coleco Adam hooked up to this TV. I use an Expansion Module #1 for playing Atari 2600 games.

IMG_6416 (2).jpg

12" Magnavox B&W TV (manufactured Sept 1987)

IMG_7098 (2).jpg

Here's a video I made a couple years ago playing Donkey Kong for the Coleco Adam with the Magnavox.

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hizzy said:

Do you ever get a jumping/quivering image on that TV?

Nope. It's rock-solid. (Except for 2600 games that exhibit screen roll, etc. But that would affect all TVs.)

With HDTVs, I shut off all of the extra signal processing (noise reduction, frame interpolation, motion smoothing, etc., etc.,), it really helps reduce picture artifacts that shouldn't be there. Not sure if that's what you're referring to, but that stuff can really make a 2600 look bad.

If I use RF, the TV will display RF noise. But I've largely mitigated that.

• 2 months later...

I play my Atari games on my Sony WEGA Trinitron HDTV CRT TV KD-36FS130 36” with progressive scan line doubling. I also built this Atari 7800/Genesis dual stick with a Seagull 78 adapter on the left and Edladdins Easy 78 controller kit on the right. Both are awsome.

s-l500.jpg

Genesis Atari 7800 Twin Stick.jpg

Edited by cedropoole

On 10/27/2020 at 7:06 AM, mike99mccarthy said:

1982 Quasar 25” Console tv! I use it for everything(Atari, NES, Genesis, VHS, Laserdisc, HD-DVD & Roku)

I've got a Sears Heavy sixer hooked up RF

Now that brings back some memories!  I really do prefer that look to the bland flat screen, but speaking of flatscreen TVs, I use a Samsung that is decent enough for my 2600jr.  I want to get a proper crt once space permits. 

In the meantime, I have a Retron 77 on the way for the flatscreen.

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 9:19 AM, Eltigro said:

I have a Samsung model TX-R2035.  It's a 20" flat CRT with composite, component, and S-Video inputs, but the 2600 is played via RF.  Looks really clean and sounds great.  Got it for $10 at a thrift store.  

I finally tracked down a TX-R2035 and am very...very happy with this CRT. Mine cost a bit more than $10 and it looks like it wasn’t used much at all.

Love all of the input options. 

04260C34-5408-4BA8-90E0-377D1EB5A337.jpeg

2EE7438E-75C2-437E-A6D9-F40D84E55F26.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I finally tracked down a TX-R2035 and am very...very happy with this CRT. Mine cost a bit more than $10 and it looks like it wasn’t used much at all.

Love all of the input options. 

lol... Glad you like it!  My wife complains that mine makes a high pitched noise when I turn it on.  I believe her because 1.  It's something that can happen on older TVs and 2.  She knows when I turn it on even if she's in another room. 

• Haha 1