IGNORED

iiRcade Dragon's Lair themed cab

128Kgames

Posting this here for more exposure, if anyone is interested in a new full size multi-game arcade system that will let you purchase and run original ROMs they have just announced a Dragon's Lair themed limited edition, in addition to the standard bar top and full size cabinets:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I built mine over a period of two days and posted a short video: 

I also posted some images of the process as it was happening on social media: https://twitter.com/billloguidice/media

A few initial observations. The quality of the materials is very good, and of course the upgraded Sanwa joysticks and buttons are excellent. The screen quality is pretty nice and the speakers are very good. The control panel height when on the stand is unusually high, higher than even full-size cabinets. It's actually comfortable for an average adult (I'm just over 5'9"), but I wonder if small kids, even on a high bar stool, might have some problems.

The UI is pretty generic and the proprietary store is sparse for now. The software is definitely behind the hardware, but there's definitely some good potential. It's the best built machine of all the 3/4 scale machines, and the biggest, but it's also the most expensive post-Kickstarter. In fact, it's even more expensive than some full-size machines.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Bumping to note the fantastic sales going on for these cabs.

Dragon's Lair 128gb with Sanwa is currently $599, free shipping.  I may have to jump at that, even though I have a multicade (it isn't Sanwa, and I really like the design of this better than mine).

Just hoping they keep coming out with more games, particularly from Sega.

I missed out on the "Classic" style console for $299, sold out.  That would've been an absolute steal. :)

• Like 1

Well the GF will likely assault me, but I pulled the trigger on the DL machine, just can't beat that price.  I'm going to relegate my "TAG" (The Arcade Guys, formerly on Etsy now on their own website and FB) full size machine with 32" monitor and Hyperspin PC to my storage area game room which is rougher / busier with all sorts cords and minimal decor.  The iiRcade DL unit will pair in my small "fancy" (lol!) arcade room alongside my A1Up Star Wars Machine.  And I may be able to add another A1Up or two down the road if I decide to and can afford the $ and space.

Super excited, already bought a bunch of games on sale for around $5 apiece.  So sure, YES I have a lot of these older games in like six different formats (PC, Evercade, Switch...) but I want them on this machine, with true Sanwa parts and that awesome sound.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my Hyperspin arcade machine a ton...but sometimes you want to fire something up quick for a few easy rounds of fun and this seemed perfect, no loading, clicking through ten menus to get to your favorites etc.  After talking via posts with @Cobra Kai about A1Up games I started to realize that sometimes Less is indeed More; we all have five million emulated roms and choices around.  For convenience and personal preference, I want to have fewer but better choices in a way that looks cooler in my gaming area.

Now if only they can get some more Sega titles (Golden Axe, SoR 4, please!) and maybe (?) some Namco, Capcom, and Konami titles?  Crossing my fingers tight!  Or maybe more games like Elevator Action that are also out on Arcade Archives right now, which could include Crazy Climber, Moon Patrol, Zero Wing and others.  Oh, I hope they do.  :)

This thing is going to look amazing, so glad to be a part of this fan base!

• Like 1

The DL cab is nice, i upgraded to it during Kickstarter.  Glad to see more people are getting interested in iiRcade, i got hooked from the beginning (well, once I saw the actual cabinet!  The ones at CES were fugly, but we learned later they were sort of thrown together to get them to the show).  I liked iiRcade so much I got my son one second hand, its the classic model but with 128 GB of storage (Kickstarter exclusive).

The upcoming online play in 2022 for basically any 2 player game including the vintage arcade ROMS is going to take the iiRcade to a whole new level and set the bar for the 3/4 cab market.

You should join the Facebook group if you haven't already, we're a good bunch of people, and the CEO Jong-Wook Shin is there all the time, as are a number of the iiRcade team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

New sales on games are online, RetroMania Wrestling is $18 down from $30, WonderBoy is $9 down from $15, among others.  Even though I haven't been notified my iiRcade has shipped I bought them already (and no I don't care about the 30 minute return policy lulz).  

Good for you man!  Unfortunately I've already bought a lot of the titles they've been marking down but I go through the list anyway and see if I missed any gems or something looks cool.

Enjoying the enthusiasm in the FB group a lot!  Wow, there sure are a lot of posts there - great to see.  A lot of new owners or people like me who grabbed the holiday special waiting for ours to arrive.  I've not received shipping notification yet but that's ok, I'm patient, it's not an Xmas gift (except to myself haha!).

I got trolled on one of the non-private iiRcade postings where a dude asked what games it comes with and I listed them.  Then he went all "Oh I can get all those for free on the Raspberry Pi".  Damned Troll hole lol.  Or maybe he said he could get the AtGames Legends with a USB with 7k games, which is also true...but if you know that much why ask?  I guess I just don't get the weird animosity.

I was also a little thrown by people complaining about the Return policy on downloaded games.  Like, I didn't even know there WAS a return possible, 'cause you don't get that option with Xbox, PS, or Switch... but apparently you can try a game out for a half hour and if you hate it request a refund within that half hour.  Makes sense if the game is $20 or more, but...just weird to complain about a return period being short on a product that NO ONE ELSE OFFERS RETURNS ON AT ALL.  Lol!

Really hoping they get enough sales and such to enable them to invest in more licensing too, of course.  I really don't know what is possible or likely so am trying not to get my hopes up too high.

Lots of great support coming out from Etsy creators too, people getting lit marquees to sit on top, and that uplayarcade place with the custom stick toppers, 4-way restrictor plate, and a bunch more.

• Like 1

Just remember the 30 minute return window start from point of purchase, not when you start playing.  I think that's what some people had an issue with, especially people that had problem downloading and installing.  I suggested to those people they should open a case with iiRcade as soon as they have a problem, so its documented. 

• Like 1

Well I guess I would call it a rough start.  Got my bartop (stand arriving tomorrow).  Got it together without too much trouble (Step 12 in the manual makes no sense and threw me, as do the instructions for the tempered glass that conflict with what Mike's YT How To indicates...but whatever).  But it powered up with a loud pop on the speakers, and no video other than a slightly greyer than black screen.  And after reading comments and suggestions online, I've tried everything without any luck.  Put it to sleep, woke it up, put it to sleep, turned it off, turned it on, same deal.  Powered it off, unplugged it, waited a few, powered it on, same deal, no sound, no video.  Emailed support, am sad.  Damned thing looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING though, just...doesn't work.  Uggggggggh.  Hopefully support will take care of me, other than the weird "move the joystick 12 x to the right, then down 2x, then A, then hold it to the right" which sounds like some sort of firmware fubar and in any case doesn't work for mine.  

Oh well, first world problems.  Wah, my brand new arcade machine won't power on, woe is me! :P

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Well I guess I would call it a rough start.  Got my bartop (stand arriving tomorrow).  Got it together without too much trouble (Step 12 in the manual makes no sense and threw me, as do the instructions for the tempered glass that conflict with what Mike's YT How To indicates...but whatever).  But it powered up with a loud pop on the speakers, and no video other than a slightly greyer than black screen.  And after reading comments and suggestions online, I've tried everything without any luck.  Put it to sleep, woke it up, put it to sleep, turned it off, turned it on, same deal.  Powered it off, unplugged it, waited a few, powered it on, same deal, no sound, no video.  Emailed support, am sad.  Damned thing looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING though, just...doesn't work.  Uggggggggh.  Hopefully support will take care of me, other than the weird "move the joystick 12 x to the right, then down 2x, then A, then hold it to the right" which sounds like some sort of firmware fubar and in any case doesn't work for mine.  

Oh well, first world problems.  Wah, my brand new arcade machine won't power on, woe is me! :P

Yeah, step 12 is confusing: installing the plexi cover either takes 2 people, taping it in place, holding it in place while you install the control panel (as I did when I got my DL cab) or my suggestion after the fact - lay the bartop on its back.  The reason being is the plexi is held in place by it being slightly tucked under the lip of the marquee, and the the base of the control panel when its installed.  Too many people did not follow this part resulting in plexi that was not held in place and would just "fall" when the cab was moved.   That part of the manual needs better diagrams or some language to explain what needs to be done (I understand the manual was done this way so basically it could be used in any country). 

Did you buy the tempered glass plexi replacement?  Or were you just referring to an install guide?  (sorry, I dont know who Mike is)

The last part sounds like you have the issue with the screen brightness being turned down all the way, I know there is a way to "fix" this and it sounds like you already tried something.  I'll see if I can find anything else on the fix. 

2 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Hydo Thunder does this help?

Unfortunately no, I did watch that video and did most of what he's saying.  But the things he's doing happen after the logo comes up, mine never gets that to even show.  Or makes any sound so that you can hear the joystick registering the taps to the right, then down etc.

The Mike guy had this video on the bezel:

I like your idea of placing it on its back first, might try that tomorrow.  Mine works ok but it down by a half inch or so as it's not snapped into the top part.  No biggie when you can't get the thing to power on right now anyway lol  And no I realize now I was referring incorrectly to the bezel as tempered glass, it's REALLY heavy though so I thought it was glass.  It's plexi.

The Step 12 thing was this weird step where it shows you removing (I believe?) two screws from the side of the control panel.  I was thinking they were saying to like, widen the little flaps that have the entry part for the side screws, but instead I think it's a leftover instruction from a time that they must have had the control panel arrive WITH the two side screws already intact.  Mine weren't so it was a pointless (and confusing) step :P

11 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

It appears that the manual has changed, which of course, they are allowed to do.  This one isn't a biggie since like I said it was just confusing and leads me to think that on some editions the screws come already in the side of the control panel.  Just not mine. :)

Pt 12 DLA iiRcade.jpg

Ah, yup, that would confuse the he'll outta me too!

• Haha 1

They did write me back a nice note, asked for video of the issue.  I was at work in the office today so just got some crappy videos of the machine basically not doing anything but the power button lighting up.  It's not really a hurry since it's not an Xmas present (aside from to me from me, heh).  But I have a buncha days off between Xmas and NYE, would love to get some iiRcade gaming on, slight concern that they'll need me to return the control deck, screen, speakers, or all three and swap.  Who knows, maybe they can walk me through some kinda fix.

But again, not regretting a thing at this point.  This machine is SO well made, the panels are easily twice the thickness and quality of A1up, same for the fit all around.

Aight, got my stand, support helped me fix the issue (monitor cable that came pre-plugged in had come loose in shipping; it was accessible under a flap that I didn't realize was there).

Firmware update fixed the startup "pop" in the speakers, got my games downloaded that I bought on sale.  Lots of fun, love the controls.  Again, so well put together!  Now to learn some of the moves for Breakers 2 - decent fighter so far, but I'm terrible at it.

Oh, and to reiterate...the game is iconic and super funny, but I am terrible at Dragon's Lair. :)

• 1 month later...

I just posted a link to AA on the FB discussion page, as things are kind of messy over there and I love AA so much more than FB.  Hopefully some new peeps will migrate over.  I find myself checking FB to see the latest iiRcade news and simply, I don't wanna, I dislike FB for the most part :)

Latest "controversy", Ninja Clowns came out.  And the people who are interested in more modern style games like Dead Effect or Riptide GP Renegade have just about had it with the lack of more modern 3d type games, and have used this as an example of the kind of release they DO NOT WANT.  lol

And the people who are into old school weirdness love it.  I hear both sides - personally I prefer 2d old school stuff but do want some more top tier games...it's hard to have patience.  Especially if you bought the iiRcade a long time ago waiting for the big modern titles to arrive.

Personally, if they release Streets of Rage 4 and Golden Axe (or Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder), I will basically be forever happy.  As it is right now, I'm very happy playing stuff like Elevator Action (with the Sanwa controls and terrific monitor) and Breakers Revenge (an obscure but surprisingly addictive Street Fighter / Fatal Fury type).

44 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

I just posted a link to AA on the FB discussion page, as things are kind of messy over there and I love AA so much more than FB.  Hopefully some new peeps will migrate over.  I find myself checking FB to see the latest iiRcade news and simply, I don't wanna, I dislike FB for the most part :)

Latest "controversy", Ninja Clowns came out.  And the people who are interested in more modern style games like Dead Effect or Riptide GP Renegade have just about had it with the lack of more modern 3d type games, and have used this as an example of the kind of release they DO NOT WANT.  lol

And the people who are into old school weirdness love it.  I hear both sides - personally I prefer 2d old school stuff but do want some more top tier games...it's hard to have patience.  Especially if you bought the iiRcade a long time ago waiting for the big modern titles to arrive.

Personally, if they release Streets of Rage 4 and Golden Axe (or Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder), I will basically be forever happy.  As it is right now, I'm very happy playing stuff like Elevator Action (with the Sanwa controls and terrific monitor) and Breakers Revenge (an obscure but surprisingly addictive Street Fighter / Fatal Fury type).

I saw your FB post, it would be nice to see this thread finally get some attention (I hope!).  I know what you mean about the AA format - I dont think I'll ever get used to the way things are outside of these types of forums (I guess this is what it means to grow old? ?). 

The cabinet has always had its three groups: old school arcade nuts (like me), the modern men and their "I want Xbox and Playstation titles!" (ha!) and then those inbetween who seem to enjoy both.  While I've been an advocate of the arcade only titles, I have embraced some of the newer games as above all else, I'm still a gamer at heart.  

If it keeps the system alive and allows it to prosper, more power too it.  I do not think the flat out "this system is doomed if new games don't come out" philosphy is going to help anyone. 

But it doesn't hurt to kick iiRcade in the pants every now and then and remind them without new games, we have nothing to play...

Edited by 128Kgames
  • Like 1

There's a fellow who readily admits that he didn't do his research, and is hoping for more modern games.  He was at a buddy's house, played Riptide and some of the other newer games, and went out and bought an iiRcade thinking the games of that type would keep coming.  And they really aren't.

Which I can empathize with, especially since he's being honest about not having done the research.  Problem is several fold - the newer style games are often made with analog controls in mind (A la PS5/ XbX/ Switch, racing types, or dual stick analog FPS games), so those aren't likely to work great on iiRcade.  Another issue is the power - not saying iiRcade is underpowered, look at Riptide etc.  But if they're making a game for PS5 / that kind of thing, might be a tough go to get to the Android specs.  

It's an interesting and unexpected (to me at least) conundrum.  They wanted people to know the iiRcade would play new games, because it does, and new games will come out for it.  But it's hard to sell that in a positive way without overpromising.  I don't necessarily think they've intended to overpromise or have done so, but I can see how it would be mistaken by customers.  

For me, I FREAKING LOVE the iiRcade for what it is.  It plays old games legally and in a legit capacity, it has a great setup for the monitor / controls / sound, cab looks amazing, and there's always promise or possibility of great new / revamped old new etc titles coming out.  They're never going to please everyone...

But I hope for their sake that they're able to get some big licensees and/or big titles and/or modern titles rolling in soon; the bigger and better the total userbase is, the more great games are likely.

And DAAAAAMN do I want to see Streets of Rage 4 and Golden Axe on this thing :)

• 1 month later...

Just sort of bumping the topic, hoping we can get a little activity in here for those of us who have an iiRcade and others who might be interested.

I really am enjoying Warrior Blade (Rastan 3) quite a bit.  Sure, it's a Golden Axe knockoff, but it's not half bad and it has more of the Conan the Barbarian flavor.  The double wide screen letterbox thing is interesting, and the sprites are large and interestingly animated and drawn.  The three characters play very differently from each other, and it's just simply a very good game if not flawless.

Been kicking around some other brawlers, and for my part the only real duds so far are Mug Smashers and Ninja Clowns.  I know they have their fans and there are pluses to them, but they're just not for me.  In the case of Mug Smashers, the combos and such just seem too basic as do the enemies.  It's kind of funny, but a lot of the sound effects are taken from other games and it just doesn't trip my trigger.  Ninja Clowns I bought partly to support Bash studios, and partly to see if all the talk was about a hidden gem.  I...really, really don't like it, I got to admit.  Something about the look of it, the animation, feels cheap and not well done to me personally.  It's kind of funny and has some interesting moments, but not my bag.  

On the other hand, am REALLY enjoying Mayhem Brawler, for one.  It's not quite Streets of Rage 4, but it's really, really good and well worth putting significant time into.  Really nicely done, beautifully drawn, interesting stages, enemies, and characters to play.  Great soundtrack too.  Big, big thumbs up.

Been kicking around Knuckle Bash and 64th Street, and enjoying them quite a bit to my surprise. Knuckle Bash in particular is just flat out weird, but it's also fun if so very strange.  64th Street started out looking and feeling like Mug Smashers in a negative way.  But once I got into it, it really came into its own.  Just LOVE the ability to throw enemies into the background objects and damage the objects, sometimes releasing prizes.  A few super cheap bosses, but the combos are good and I love the "special" attack for variety (the blazing punch for one guy and the dashing elbow for the other).  It feels like an early brawler and it's not on Final Fight or Streets of Rage level, but it's good, goofy fun and better than I first thought.