IGNORED

IntelliStick - Development Thread

fdr4prez

Currently in development is the very first Intellivision gamepad that I am calling the IntelliStick.

This thread will be used to discuss the development of the IntelliStick; and to track its progress (or lack there of :lolblue: )

I hope to be able to sell them, but this can be discussed later (much later)

The IntelliStick will be a rebuilt Intellivision 25 Play Power plug'n'play game system:

image.thumb.png.c84c920dc9fbaa973737822119d409e0.png

If you are not familiar with the Intellivision 25 Power Play game system, it is another NoaC system and it looks like there are both an analog thumbstick and a d-pad on it.

And I thought that this would be an easy conversion, but to my surprise that thing that looks like analog thumbstick is really a well disguised d-pad:

image.thumb.png.a259728c162259de50f8041c086d83ea.png

Objective #1:

Replace that fake stick with a real analog stick and that would allow for 16-direction output

To accomplish this objective, I need to design a replacement main circuit board that will have the needed circuitry to support this.  In my prototype that I built (some here saw it at PRGE-2019) I used an Arduino to accept the thumbstick input and output the 16-directions.  The prototype works well enough with the Arduino, but there isn't enough internal room in the Intellivision 25 for me to house an arduino while trying to keep the original board in place for the other buttons.

The end goal is for the IntelliStick to have both a 16-way analog thumbstick and an 8-way dpad.

Objective #1A:

Need to determine if a thumbstick using 5K or 10K pots makes a difference.  In my prototype I am using 5k pots, but I want to see if a 10k pot thumbstick will give me a slightly better precision for calculating the 16 directions.  The angle calculations of the thumbstick are easy enough, but a few of the directions were hard to witness on my prototype.  It could be due to the design of the prototype (proof of concept) that I built.

I may do a separate thread to discuss my (fully functional) prototype Inty gamepad.  It is not based off of the Intellivision 25 unit, so maybe it deserves its own thread.

Objective #2:

I don't want to have both inputs to be activated at the same time.  From playing on the Intellivision 25, I can see that one will interfere with the other. For example, if you are playing using the d-pad you don't want to have an accidental movement of the thumbstick and mess up your game.  The original Intellivision 25 game system has an on/off switch (you can see this switch in the picture above), so this will be repurposed on the redesigned board so that this switch will select between the thumbstick and the dpad.  And you can select between the two inputs at any time, so no need to reboot the controller to switch inputs.  This switch is a SPDT and it will be easy enough to either pass the ground to the thumbstick or to the dpad pads.  Simple-dimple.

Objective #3:

Only the Intellivision 2 and the Intv Flashback consoles have DB9 controller ports, and as most here know these two DB9 are not compatible with each other.  The redesigned board will have two sets of pin holes for the cable labeled 1-9 <> one set for Inty2 pin out and one set for IntvFB pin out.  If you have the original console, then you can either add a DB9 to your console, or you can use an original controller coiled cable and wire it to the the proper pins of the Inty2 pinout.

Objective #4 (possible):

The IntelliStick will not have a keypad (obviously), so a DB9 Y-adapter cable will be needed to be used so you can have a real Intellivision controller connected for keypad inputs.  Under consideration will be to have a short cable with a female DB9 connector sticking out, so the real Intellivision controller can be connected directly to the IntelliStick, so no third-party Y-adapter will be needed.  It wouldn't take much to have a second set of pin holes on the redesigned board to allow for a female DB9 cable to be attached.  This would be dependent on how much open space remains on the board after the initial redesign, but I suspect this is a high possibility of happening because I can simply do a 2x9 header pin out for each of the Objective #3. 

Objective #5:

The IntelliStick will not have a keypad, but the Intellivision 25 has a few extra buttons that will be repurposed as follows:

RESET = Pause (presses 1+9 keypad buttons)

SELECT = Keypad Clear

START = Keypad Enter

The thumbstick may have a pushbutton (it depends on which model I choose) and if it does have a pushbutton then that will be Keypad Enter.  My prototype does have a thumbstick w/pushbutton.

The Intellivision controller only has 3 action side buttons, but the IntelliStick has 4 action buttons, so the upper buttons on the IntelliStick will both be the upper side buttons.

image.thumb.png.796371807d334ee8203aafbb6b7e6f4f.png

Objective #6 (low priority for me):

The IntelliStick will require a power source.  For me, I don't mind using a phone charger with a microUSB or USB-C connection, since they are quite common in everyone's house.  I use these for my Ultimate Intellivision Controller and I use these for my Ultimate Atari Joystick that I sell, and my Ultimate Atari Paddle (still in development).  So I am quite comfortable using these, but I know having to use an external power source is frowned upon.  For me it is quite easy to turn off the IntelliStick by disconnecting the incoming power.  So as a lower item on the design list will be to utilize the Intellivision 25's battery compartment for housing a Lipo rechargeable battery with a charging circuit. Then I will need to have to add an on/off button (or switch) because I will be re-purposing the original on/off switch to select between the two inputs (thumbstick/dpad), and I will still need a way to connect incoming power just to charge the battery.  And I've no clue to how long the battery would last during game play.  

Challenge:

The biggest hurdle and challenge will be the redesign of the main board.  It needs to match the original board's size and shape.  It needs to have the contact pads for the Dpad and other buttons in the exact spots as the original board.  It needs to have the mounting holes in the same diameter and in the same locations.  It needs to have the power LED in the same spot so it lines up correctly with the existing hole.  And it needs to be able to hold all the needed electronics.  To help with space I will probably need to use SMT parts instead of through-hole parts (which would allow for easier build-at-home boards).  But outside of a simple board I designed for my Ultimate Atari Paddle project, and that was at least a year ago, I've not touched EagleCAD or KiCAD, so this is really step #1 for me.  Time for some learning.

ETA:

Who knows - not me :dontknow:

All of my projects are mine and are built on my schedule (or lack there of).  They are a hobby and a love for tinkering, and for a love for the Inty community, and others around here know I help them with their projects when asked, so my projects get done when they get done.

I started this project a number of months ago, and I was hoping that the Covid stay home rules meant that I'd have plenty of time to work on this, but it turned out that we are an essential company, so no staying at home for me and at work we've been quite busy as of late.  And even at home, there have been quite a number of RL projects going on.  So this project has been sitting for a bit. 

Hopefully this thread will help get it removed from the back-burner and get it simmering front and center :cheerleader:

Originally I wanted at least one completed to show at PRGE-2020, but I've not had much free time to work on the board design.  The expo is canceled this year :sigh2:, so now I have more time to work on it :yes:

It is all planned out, but the plan is in my head (and now partly written above). 

Now I need to get down to the brass tacks and get some real work going on it.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

Interesting project.  I think I have one or two of these controllers laying around somewhere.  It would be nice to see them actually put to use someday ?

I am pretty sure I have one buried in a box somewhere .

Now it may actually come in handy.

Thanks for starting up this project,FDR!?

Do you have a supply of these things already?  This is me just talking out of my backside, but wouldn't it be easier to use the shell of any other modern controller?  It seems like the clone controller biz would make shells with even more buttons somewhat available, and if you are going to completely re-design the inside, you might as well use something actively being produced.

Edit - something like this is what I was thinking:  https://www.dhgate.com/product/replacement-housing-wireless-controller-full/533864696.html?d1_page_num=1&dspm=pcen.sp.LIST.7.bqiRJQTOHsMGJSwuPTzb&resource_id=533864696#s1-3-1;searl|0925631367:7

14 hours ago, wongojack said:

Do you have a supply of these things already?  This is me just talking out of my backside, but wouldn't it be easier to use the shell of any other modern controller?  It seems like the clone controller biz would make shells with even more buttons somewhat available, and if you are going to completely re-design the inside, you might as well use something actively being produced.

Edit - something like this is what I was thinking:  https://www.dhgate.com/product/replacement-housing-wireless-controller-full/533864696.html?d1_page_num=1&dspm=pcen.sp.LIST.7.bqiRJQTOHsMGJSwuPTzb&resource_id=533864696#s1-3-1;searl|0925631367:7

For someone wanting to use a modern controller, then they can get one of these:

I do have a few of the Inty25 units, and more can be had.

And many here already have these in their collection, so this will be an easy conversion for them.

Luckily this is a niche market, and if the demand is high enough then I do have other plans brewing

Edited by fdr4prez
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Working on the layout of the components on the board led me to an interesting design decision.

The older revision Intv25 board had pads like this:

1241522296_OlderPads.jpg.69dd5f6f3b3808b4043cb835100063af.jpg

The newer revision Inty25 boards had fancy pads like these:

844780912_NewerPads2.jpg.2888349051134382f3c079fb8c36e971.jpg1889971698_NewerPads.jpg.e73aee68ab49c80eb6e1aba0cb6ef5a9.jpg

In KiCAD it isn't so easy to make fancy contact pads like these, so I made something similar to the original design which is much easier to make in KiCAD

1459944125_KiCADPad.jpg.4106af4c5fca7cb36c9ab4cf6d7cb949.jpg

Which is a much finer pitched interlaced fingers than the original board.

Edited by fdr4prez

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I started this project mid-Covid lockdown and I was hoping I'd have plenty of time to get this done, but as luck would have it, I wasn't locked down and my $dayjob$ has been quite busy.  And for the last 6-months I've been tucked away and not able to do anything.

I've got the schematic and board design done, but I need to confirm that I did this correctly. 

It'll still be a few more weeks/months before I can even think about restarting this project.

It is not a dead project - just delayed

• Like 3

21 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I started this project mid-Covid lockdown and I was hoping I'd have plenty of time to get this done, but as luck would have it, I wasn't locked down and my $dayjob$ has been quite busy.  And for the last 6-months I've been tucked away and not able to do anything.

I've got the schematic and board design done, but I need to confirm that I did this correctly. 

It'll still be a few more weeks/months before I can even think about restarting this project.

It is not a dead project - just delayed

Hi, glad to see you are still going forward with this project. You know I'll want one (or 2). Thanks for doing this, 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Humblejack said:

Hi, glad to see you are still going forward with this project. You know I'll want one (or 2). Thanks for doing this, 

Thanks. 

I have a few spare units, but I am not sure how I'll proceed for the main audience. 

I know many cannot solder, so selling them as a kit may not be desirable by many. 

But I don't have the free time to assemble many of these myself. 

And while I have a few of these units, I don't have a lot. So the consumer may need to buy their own from eBay to be used for this. 

Luckily during this "quiet period" I have time to ponder this :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the Rev assembly line for his cart releases will be busy enough :)

Funny you mention PGRE - my original plan was to have one ready for PGRE 2020 but that was canceled and life got in the way. my work load during the covid shut down was quite busy. 

I am now having a coworker 3D print the board design so I can confirm all the mounting holes in the right spot. And then I'll do the 3rd or 4th check on the schematic before I get a board made. 

So assuming that all works out, then that means I'll have a functional prototype to bring with me to PRGE 2022.

Fingers crossed 

• Like 2