IGNORED

Getting back into my Atari 800

Atari800Xl

I started setting up my Atari stuff and right now I have an atari 800 xl, 850 serial converter, 2 1050 drives, A 1010 data cassette and a 410 data cassette.  I don't really have any software and I'm trying to get that solved. I've been using one of those dollar store cassette adapters and playing wave files off my PC. I'm a little confused with all the adapters out there what is the best adapter that will allow me to copy from a laptop or PC to the atari 1050 drive. I have plenty of blank 5 1/4 disks I just need a way to put disk images onto a floppy I don't want to have to be tethered to another PC to use my atari. Also is there a simple way to copy a cassette to disc so it loads faster?

Why not just go with an SD Drive Max?

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/atari-sdrive-max

or this if your prefer it in an 810 case (there is also a 1050 version)

https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/atari-810-sdrive-max

You can grab all the software here (one of the many places).....

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/?idx=6

It's a hell of a lot more convenient and very quick.

Short of the above, if you want to copy images to floppies, you'll have to do a PC to Atari interface with the SIO2PC interface.....

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/sio2pc-universal-interface-usb-interface-w-sio-jack/

Anyhow, hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the information. Have you used any of these? I like all 3 options especially the SDrives.  I do want to eventually be working with a true 5 1/4 disc, so no matter the "go between" it would need to play nice with the 1050's. Now in theory could mount an image on the SDrive and use Atari Dos to just do a disk to disk copy from the S Drive to the 1050? 

Now the SIO2PC looks good to, how good does it work? It looks like I have to buy APE from atari max so im looking at like a little over 100 which has me worried if its glitchy. I have access to a windows xp desktop, windows 8 laptop, and a windows 10 desktop i can use as a host. 

15 minutes ago, Atari800Xl said:

Now the SIO2PC looks good to, how good does it work? It looks like I have to buy APE from atari max so im looking at like a little over 100 which has me worried if its glitchy. I have access to a windows xp desktop, windows 8 laptop, and a windows 10 desktop i can use as a host. 

You can try APE before purchase, v3.0.2 is available for download on the Atarimax website, v3.0.13 is available on request for those who have purchased/registered earlier versions.

There is also RespeQT as an alternative, which is open source software:

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/184-respeqt-sio2pc-software/

I have an SDrive-MAX that I built myself a couple years ago now. As a single, do-it-all standalone storage device, it's really great. You can load and save files to and from ATR virtual disk images, load .CAS format cassette tape images, and load XEX program files. You can also load original, uncracked, unhacked ATX format copies of original copy-protected disks. This is nice if you don't want to see crack screens or run into possible bugs made by amateur crackers 30+ years ago when they were copying original software disks. 

I also have a pair of Happy-enhanced 1050 drives that I like to use from time to time for the sake of nostalgia, and I can even copy files from ATRs on the SDrive-MAX to real disks in my 1050's and vice versa, or make physical disks from ATRs on my SDrive-MAX, but that's mostly for nostalgia. The SDrive-MAX can basically do it all.

But an even better, more-capable do-everything peripheral device promises to be the new FujiNet adapter. I should have one of the first 50 production units within a week or two, I think. But the basic design and firmware are open-source and I expect there to be a number of people making and selling them, plus people building and programming their own in the next few months. 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 5:01 PM, Atari800Xl said:

Now in theory could mount an image on the SDrive and use Atari Dos to just do a disk to disk copy from the S Drive to the 1050? 

Exactly, the SDrive-MAX works just like a physical drive, so you can copy back and forth, or use it in place of a physical drive.  Mine are supper high quality, a little higher price than the other one but worth it in the quality.