IGNORED

Gaming Dilemma...

So here's the problem, I own a small collection of NES games from when I had one, but I kind of want to replace them with Famicom games. At the same time, I also want to get another NES and resume collecting for that.

What should I do? Replace my NES games with Famicom games or wait and look for an NES?

23 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Get an adapter and call it a day lol

That's not really the point though.. 

I like to have the OG consoles to go along with the games (unless a console is officially backwards compatible). 

Do neither and buy a flash cart. Then you don't need a converter and you don't need to buy the Famicom versions of the games you already have.

Buy Famicom carts from there on out if you really need to have a bunch of physical games taking up space on your shelf.

13 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

That's not really the point though.. 

I like to have the OG consoles to go along with the games (unless a console is officially backwards compatible). 

What do you do with 100% region-free consoles? What about oddities like the Mega Drive and Genesis where only some games are region-locked and others not? What about the 32X, as well?

44 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

What do you do with 100% region-free consoles? What about oddities like the Mega Drive and Genesis where only some games are region-locked and others not? What about the 32X, as well?

If a region free console has little to no difference between a foreign one and a home plate one (Example: Gameboy), then I just use a regular console. If it's partially region free, I'd just get the foreign console so I don't have to worry about getting a region-locked game.

26 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

If a region free console has little to no difference between a foreign one and a home plate one (Example: Gameboy), then I just use a regular console. If it's partially region free, I'd just get the foreign console so I don't have to worry about getting a region-locked game.

That works. Region locking sucks. I know why it exists, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Anyway, to answer the original question: Akumajou Densetsu alone is worth it just for the amazing audio. Famicom games are also extremely cheap aside from things like that game, Contra, and Gimmick!, but I'm sure there are a few more that I don't know exist. Nintendo really isn't my thing, so I'm not the best guy to ask, though.

The NES/FC are in a ways region locked, one more than the other in a ways.  FC had some better audio on their carts, the NES didn't add that feature leaving a teeny part out of its design basically, and it also has that asinine 10NES security chip the root of all blinking carts.  And then the global one, 72 or 60pins, but a converter fixes that much.

So basically in your case if you have a FC already you're better off, so if you're staying old school, take that already given advice and get the adapter that allows NES games to work on a FC, and you're set.  If you did get a NES, then you'll just be redundant and crippled too given a stock system has limits the FC lacks (lower amount of potential audio, security chip too.)

The only other choice is heavy modding of a US system (hi def NES kit which is hdmi, lots of perks, one being expansion audio from the FC and FDS too.)  Another is just getting a dedicated emulation system that takes carts(poor retron 5) that only works with CRC checked real media (no flash kits, no multicarts), or roms an android/windows style setup which is not what you want anyway.

13 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Exactly! Get what you need to play the games... It would be silly for me to buy a Super Famicom when the hardware inside is 100% the same when I already have an SNES.

Yup, back in the day when I started buying a lot of SFC games (I had a 2-3 dozen of them before all my losses) in the mid through late 1990s I didn't know of adapters, didn't want to deal with an import system, so I used a high power automatic nail file and shaved down/smoothed off the tabs in my original SNES and boom, problem solved. :D