IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 3 - Auto Racing

7 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Course 1: Blue Car: 3:11

Course 2: Red Car: 5:58

Nice! I find it fun once you can get as good or better with blue than you can with red, it's just maddening trying to put 5 laps together. 2 is usually as long as I can go without a brain fart. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BiffMan said:

Nice! I find it fun once you can get as good or better with blue than you can with red, it's just maddening trying to put 5 laps together. 2 is usually as long as I can go without a brain fart. 

Yeah those times are pretty fierce. My goal now is like you said to get the Blue car on Course 1 faster than Red car... I'm currently 4 seconds behind. I lose lots of time on that last damn curve upwards... ?

• Thanks 1

3:19 is awesome. You’re 4 seconds away! 

I met my goal... I just wanted a faster run than the red car. I’m feeling like 3:06 would be my best lap that I did (x5).... Biffman... you had the ultimate run last year :) .... 

On course 2, I just wanted under 6 minutes.... so I met both goals. Unless someone destroys my times.... I’m pretty much set. 

5 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I met my goal... I just wanted a faster run than the red car. I’m feeling like 3:06 would be my best lap that I did (x5).... Biffman... you had the ultimate run last year :) .... 

On course 2, I just wanted under 6 minutes.... so I met both goals. Unless someone destroys my times.... I’m pretty much set. 

I've done 3:19 with Blue twice and the last time I didn't crash once. It's that damn last upward turn that always kills my time.... 

25 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Yes, 3:06 was apparently my near-perfect lap 5 times in a row. If it's any consolation, I can't do it again either ?

14 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Yes, 3:06 was apparently my near-perfect lap 5 times in a row. If it's any consolation, I can't do it again either ?

I kind of wish we had to run all 5 courses, that would have been cool I think. Maybe you have to use each car once and do each course, but each course you have to use a different car so when you are done you have used all 5 cars and done all 5 courses. Add up the best times for the 5 courses. ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

I kind of wish we had to run all 5 courses, that would have been cool I think. Maybe you have to use each car once and do each course, but each course you have to use a different car so when you are done you have used all 5 cars and done all 5 courses. Add up the best times for the 5 courses. ?

That would be cool but would take a long time.  Not sure I would be excited about that, lol.

1 hour ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yikes, this guy seems to think Auto Racing is less than stellar...

https://jalopnik.com/behold-the-worst-driving-video-game-ever-1831206204

But he's garbage at it, so I'm sure that negatively affects his opinion.

Lol, 'It’s a terrible, joyless slog' ?

Sounds to me like he has an axe to grind. ?

Edited by Rickster8
  • Like 1

Normally I'm a big fan of Jalopnik, but that's just simply off the mark.  The fact that traction and acceleration are modeled at all puts it well ahead of anything that would come for many years.  Hell, even now I notice that the old racing axiom of "go slow to go fast" applies to this, particularly in the blue car...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

I've done 3:19 with Blue twice and the last time I didn't crash once. It's that damn last upward turn that always kills my time.... 

Rickster, time the braking maybe earlier... so you can have a smoother entry to the turn. 

I found two different ways to do that turn... either I brake a lot going into the turn and then I can make the turn... or I can brake a bit and do a serious draft (which pushes my car sideways and slows down the car anyway). As long as the rest of the run was clean... that one turn shouldn’t  ruin the whole run. No matter how you do it... you have to slow down the car because it’s way too fast to make that steep turn. 

I’m telling you guys... I was in SHOCK when I saw 3:11. My goal was to get under 3:20. I was expecting to see 3:17 or so. 

9 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

If I play night and day... maybe I can match the 3:06... but that’s not my style. I don’t want to run the car 500 times to chop a few seconds. I’m so satisfied right here :) 

I don't enjoy that much repetition either, but I do feel the need for another "clean run" so we'll see.  Problem is I probably get clean on lap one like 1 time in 20, so getting all 5 laps clean is frequently an exercise in frustration.  But hey, plenty of time left to go.  ?

• Like 1

That’s what I went through to get my 3:11. I must have hit reset 50 times... no exaggeration. it got frustrating... but I needed to pass the red car.... I had a Rhyme and reason to keep trying.... but to shave a couple seconds now? Not worth the frustration :) 

I’ll work some on course 2. While I know the course, I may as well go for a slightly faster time! At least there’s no crashing, due to the controllable red car !!!

1 hour ago, BiffMan said:

Normally I'm a big fan of Jalopnik, but that's just simply off the mark.  The fact that traction and acceleration are modeled at all puts it well ahead of anything that would come for many years.  Hell, even now I notice that the old racing axiom of "go slow to go fast" applies to this, particularly in the blue car...

Reviewer needs to remember that games like this set the foundation for future iterations.

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

So Biffman ... that’s your challenge: trying to beat 3:11 :) :) 

I’m going for first place on course 2... and I’m all set on course 1. 

That's my hope.  Not really going to be satisfied until I can go faster in the blue car than the red car.  Originally my measure of success was setting new records on both tracks, but reality took a big bite out of that dream...  ;-) 

Kinda frustrating to know you're capable of something and not be able to do it again....

• Like 2

3rd Entry Course 1 - Red Car. A slight improvement. I'm just better with the Red Car. I know the quicker times are there for the Blue Car, but I just haven't been able to fully tame that wild ass Mustang, lol. Now the Blue Car is 6 seconds behind. ?

Course 1 - Red Car 3:13

Course 1 - Blue Car 3:19

Course 2 - Red Car 6:05

ARRed(313)S13.jpg.a807adc91b7203eca0b87e4672b004b0.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 4