IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 3 - Auto Racing

While this game was / is alot of fun, I do have one small issue with it. I feel the developers should have added the lap number you are on somewhere on the screen displayed at all times. I know it appears when you crash, but the object is NOT to crash. So if you don't crash you don't know the lap number you're on unless you count lol, to me that's kind of lame. The steering is pretty good although sometimes unresponsive. Still lots of fun though.... ?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

While this game was / is alot of fun, I do have one small issue with it. I feel the developers should have added the lap number you are on somewhere on the screen displayed at all times. I know it appears when you crash, but the object is NOT to crash. So if you don't crash you don't know the lap number you're on unless you count lol, to me that's kind of lame. The steering is pretty good although sometimes unresponsive. Still lots of fun though.... ?

Totally agree with you!  A lap number would have been nice to add.  It's a fun game, until it's not...lol.  I just couldn't stand track 2, but that's just me.  For an early racing game, they did a good job of developing it for the most part.

• Like 2

It's really not possible to have text displayed in a fixed screen location in a multidirectional scrolling game.  What they could have done is have a clock at each checkpoint that scrolls in and out with the rest of the playfield.  As a workaround, just run your own stopwatch; that should tell you what lap your on.

I would have liked the option to select the number of laps.  Courses three and four are a little too long for me.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, mr_me said:

It's really not possible to have text displayed in a fixed screen location in a multidirectional scrolling game.  What they could have done is have a clock at each checkpoint that scrolls in and out with the rest of the playfield.  As a workaround, just run your own stopwatch; that should tell you what lap your on.

I would have liked the option to select the number of laps.  Courses three and four are a little too long for me.

I wind up making a rough map of the track and jot down my best "times" at each wreck point.  Since they're usually the same, you can kind of rough out what times are possible on a given track and use that as a comparison for where you're losing time or not.  I count FUPs (F*-up points) where each is roughly a second of lost time vs what I think is optimum.  Rack up too many, start over.  ?

I know silly times are possible on track 2 because I wrecked top-side into the building right at the start/finish on lap 2 with a 1:06, so that should mean you could do slightly less than 5:30 (factoring out 2-3 seconds for acceleration at the start) if you could actually be that consistent, but being consistent in the blue/tan car is a real nightmare.  Track 2 is just made for the blue/tan car (over half the lap can be at top speed) but holy crap is it hard to keep up that kind of focus for over 5 minutes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

I wind up making a rough map of the track and jot down my best "times" at each wreck point.  Since they're usually the same, you can kind of rough out what times are possible on a given track and use that as a comparison for where you're losing time or not.  I count FUPs (F*-up points) where each is roughly a second of lost time vs what I think is optimum.  Rack up too many, start over.  ?

I know silly times are possible on track 2 because I wrecked top-side into the building right at the start/finish on lap 2 with a 1:06, so that should mean you could do slightly less than 5:30 (factoring out 2-3 seconds for acceleration at the start) if you could actually be that consistent, but being consistent in the blue/tan car is a real nightmare.  Track 2 is just made for the blue/tan car (over half the lap can be at top speed) but holy crap is it hard to keep up that kind of focus for over 5 minutes.

Yeah and because those two cars are going so fast, you have to be very mindful of exactly where the car is pointing going into a turn otherwise it's a sure wreck coming up...... 

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Yeah and because those two cars are going so fast, you have to be very mindful of exactly where the car is pointing going into a turn otherwise it's a sure wreck coming up...... 

Yes, that would be where the nightmare part of driving the blue/tan come in and probably why I couldn't manage to do a course 2 run without wrecking at least twice.  ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Yes, that would be where the nightmare part of driving the blue/tan come in and probably why I couldn't manage to do a course 2 run without wrecking at least twice.  ? 

I don't know about you, but for me the steering is somewhat inconsistent. You can literally press up on the disk and the car will sometimes just down and crash instead of up like you intended lol. I'd look down at the controller like DAFUQ???

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

I don't know about you, but for me the steering is somewhat inconsistent. You can literally press up on the disk and the car will sometimes just down and crash instead of up like you intended lol. I'd look down at the controller like DAFUQ???

Possibly to do with how far you're trying to do the extremes.  If you're doing straight left and right, it's hard to mess those up, but if you're trying for tight cornering near the top and bottom, it's easier to accidentally go past center and steer the other way.

What you're describing sounds more like a loss of traction/spin.  If you're wiggling down a long stretch trying to get straight and do opposite input too quickly (a little right then immediately a little left) then you can lose traction and spin.  Always loved that the cars can do that, even if it's frustrating when it happens.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Possibly to do with how far you're trying to do the extremes.  If you're doing straight left and right, it's hard to mess those up, but if you're trying for tight cornering near the top and bottom, it's easier to accidentally go past center and steer the other way.

What you're describing sounds more like a loss of traction/spin.  If you're wiggling down a long stretch trying to get straight and do opposite input too quickly (a little right then immediately a little left) then you can lose traction and spin.  Always loved that the cars can do that, even if it's frustrating when it happens.  

The drifting aspect in this game is fantastic. Dare I say InTV came up with drifting in the late 70's / early 80's when it really wasn't even a thing yet in real life? :-o

• Haha 2