IGNORED

Do you run your 5200 (or other system) through a VCR for a better picture???

BIGHMW

Yes.

My (2016) Insignia HDTV has a very weak native antenna signal and I actually find that I get a better picture if I ran my 5200's channel 2/3 RF output to my Sony SLV-N51 VCR's antenna input and then from its composite output to my TV (my Sony STR-DH590 a/v receiver only has HDMI inputs so I hook it up to my TV's composite input).

How many of you either do the same or experience a better picture/sound quality when running your game system through a VCR as opposed to the TV directly???

...and while yes I still get that infamous RF buzzing I still get a much better gaming experience this way (sharper picture, somewhat) considering that I read our systems had a very weak video sync back in the day.

As my signature says, I run my old composite/s-video computers through a Toshiba DVR so I can use them on my HDMI monitor. It does an good job, not perfect but it's convenient. I have an OSSC for the RGB stuff, amiga mostly.

I still own a 23" CRT TV, for my classic game consoles, but I'm about to get rid of those since I've a nice emulation setup now. The only gaming console I'll keep are the modern one. Beside the games are cheaper on the modern console, especially used.

The ONLY reason I still run my 2-port 5200 through channel 3 Rf to my VCR and then to a composite input on my TV (as my Sony STR-DH590 a/v receiver only had HDMI inputs) is so I can still use my VCS cartridge adapter along with it for the 2600 games that will not work with my Flashback 9, including most of my 2600-compatible controllers, like my CX80 trak-ball, in which does not work on my FB9, but, if I had to have either one or the other for my 2600 library (almost 700 games, my Atraimax 5200 SD card has almost 300 on it), what would you suggest, the HDMI-equipped Flashback 9 or the VCS adapter (with a Harmony Encore, in which I will be reacquiring) for the 5200???

I also found this handy gadget on eBay so i can have both the VCS adapter and also an HDMI output for my 5200 as well, should I get one??? I'd love to have everything running on HDMI outputs exclusively, I already found a composite a/v-to-HDMI interface for my VCR, so what do you think???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-to-HDMI-converter-Analog-TV-Receiver-HD-Video-Converter-Box-for-HDTV-DVD-/323842380690?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=512857544063

6 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

The ONLY reason I still run my 2-port 5200 through channel 3 Rf to my VCR and then to a composite input on my TV (as my Sony STR-DH590 a/v receiver only had HDMI inputs) is so I can still use my VCS cartridge adapter along with it for the 2600 games that will not work with my Flashback 9, including most of my 2600-compatible controllers, like my CX80 trak-ball, in which does not work on my FB9, but, if I had to have either one or the other for my 2600 library (almost 700 games, my Atraimax 5200 SD card has almost 300 on it), what would you suggest, the HDMI-equipped Flashback 9 or the VCS adapter (with a Harmony Encore, in which I will be reacquiring) for the 5200???

I also found this handy gadget on eBay so i can have both the VCS adapter and also an HDMI output for my 5200 as well, should I get one??? I'd love to have everything running on HDMI outputs exclusively, I already found a composite a/v-to-HDMI interface for my VCR, so what do you think???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-to-HDMI-converter-Analog-TV-Receiver-HD-Video-Converter-Box-for-HDTV-DVD-/323842380690?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=512857544063

I had the same problem recently.  I posted on the Shumps forum.  Feedback was that inexpensive RF to HDMI converters introduce significant lag.   So  I ended up purchasing a RetroTink 2x pro (new) and Sony TU-1041U tuner on Ebay ($40 shipped) and they work great together to output RF to HDMI. The RetroTink by itself will convert Composite to HDMI.  I'm very happy with that solution.

If the 5200 is the only system you need to run through RF, I'd recommend the Sophia RGB  board if you have an RGB scaler (such as OSSC or Framemeister XRGB mini). That's the best quality picture you can get from your 5200.

• Like 1