IGNORED

Early Sears Brochure

Atari_Bill

Has anyone ever come across this early Tele-Games brochure?   I recently bought a very nice light sixer set CIB mainly for the brochure.  When it arrived however I was impressed by how nice the set was. Looks like it’s hardly been touched.  I love the brochure though. Can’t recall ever seeing one before.  It’s dated 8/77 so it’s pretty early. 

140E50E0-F2E8-4405-AE12-D80698ABF491.jpeg

D88F4028-9748-4F87-830E-495F0BF0F5EB.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Has anyone ever come across this early Tele-Games brochure?   I recently bought a very nice light sixer set CIB mainly for the brochure.  When it arrived however I was impressed by how nice the set was. Looks like it’s hardly been touched.  I love the brochure though. Can’t recall ever seeing one before.  It’s dated 8/77 so it’s pretty early. 

Bill, how much does the brochure measure?

17 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Has anyone ever come across this early Tele-Games brochure?   I recently bought a very nice light sixer set CIB mainly for the brochure.  When it arrived however I was impressed by how nice the set was. Looks like it’s hardly been touched.

Post photos of the set!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TapperP said:

Post photos of the set!

Here’s the system I got with it.  Odd thing is that it is a light sixer (which I knew when buying it) but it’s in a heavy sixer box.  The joysticks look and feel like cx-10 but there’s no divot at the top for the hex disc.  If the seller is telling the truth, he was the original owner.  Played for a few months and put away till now.  Are light sixers known to have come in heavy sixer boxes?   Do any cx10’s NOT have a place for the hex disc?   I sure wish the serial number was on the box like Intellivision did.  

F92DEC40-153F-4F40-932C-6C047BEA2E87.jpeg

5515527F-735E-4CD2-A54C-8EEBCF399A29.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

It’s 8 1/2 x 11. 

Bill, thanks so much for the measurements.  And that was very nice of you to take the time to send the pictures as well.

Boy, I wish I could answer your two questions, but I have no clue, Bill.  I'll go online and see if I can dig up any info. to help you out.

Really nice purchase.  Congrats!

21 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Beautiful! Love that artwork.?

7 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Here’s the system I got with it.  Odd thing is that it is a light sixer (which I knew when buying it) but it’s in a heavy sixer box.  The joysticks look and feel like cx-10 but there’s no divot at the top for the hex disc.  If the seller is telling the truth, he was the original owner.  Played for a few months and put away till now.  Are light sixers known to have come in heavy sixer boxes?   Do any cx10’s NOT have a place for the hex disc?   I sure wish the serial number was on the box like Intellivision did.

Mixing and matching of consoles, boxes, controllers, cartridges, power supplies, etc. between Heavy and Light Sixers is a known phenomenon. It happened as Atari used up Heavy Sixer parts and accessories during the transition to the Light Sixer.

Regarding the hex discs themselves, you've seen my thread hypothesizing that Atari ditched the hex discs on the CX10 at some point. The absence of hex discs with your "Frankensixer" set--and possibly different sticks that don't even fit them--would point to that.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Nice pickup you have a good eye for sears variants

1 hour ago, Captain_Combat said:

Nice pickup you have a good eye for sears variants

My earliest experiences with Atari all come from the local Sears.  That is a huge part of my nostalgia with collecting.  If I could, I would really focus on a boxed Sears set, but unfortunately thanks to Cannon Man and Math Gran Prix I don’t see that happening.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

My earliest experiences with Atari all come from the local Sears.  That is a huge part of my nostalgia with collecting.  If I could, I would really focus on a boxed Sears set, but unfortunately thanks to Cannon Man and Math Gran Prix I don’t see that happening.  

Both of those are extremely tough to get you can go years without seeing them boxed.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, Atari_Bill said:

My earliest experiences with Atari all come from the local Sears.  That is a huge part of my nostalgia with collecting.

same here ...  even though my family bought the Sears Video Arcade in early fall 1977, I do not remember seeing this brochure.  Only Tank Plus was available when we made the initial purchase.  Every few weeks Sears would get another launch title in and we would buy it .. not knowing anything about what the next cart would be.  If I had that brochure I would have known what was coming to our store.  Only missing Chase and Math.

the others in this eBay package are 1978 and later releases.

Edited by Rob Mitchell

That artwork to a 10 year old in 1977 was simply mesmerizing. 
I agree, a Sears boxed collection would be the bomb.

We had a summer day camp with a sears heavy, and Target Fun.

When I asked for an Atari for Christmas, my folks couldn't find Target Fun because neither of us knew that it was Air Sea Battle.

I have BOTH now. LOL. 

I did get Superman instead. My folks thought it would be a good game and they were right.

Thanks for sharing that. It needs a high res scan!

On 7/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, Atari_Bill said:

I hear feel your plight Bill... My folks were devout Sears ' shoppers so I have a lot of nostalgia there as well.

The one one elusive Sears game I'm missing is Sears Math Gran Prix. I noticed there seems to be a breed of new collectors with deep pockets out there definitely not helping the cause.

I've been looking for this one for years and I was close till someone pulled a side move on eBay - grrrr. One day I'll get her but have to concede it will not be cheap.

13 hours ago, schuwalker said:

I hear feel your plight Bill... My folks were devout Sears ' shoppers so I have a lot of nostalgia there as well.

The one one elusive Sears game I'm missing is Sears Math Gran Prix. I noticed there seems to be a breed of new collectors with deep pockets out there definitely not helping the cause.

I've been looking for this one for years and I was close till someone pulled a side move on eBay - grrrr. One day I'll get her but have to concede it will not be cheap.

I’ve noticed that myself.  A lot more money going in than I can afford.  Unless I get really lucky (which I have for other rare items, so not impossible) I’ve pretty much written those boxes off. 

• 5 months later...

Another rare Sears flyer I just picked up. It wasn’t cheap, but I fully intended not to lose it as I’ve never seen another.  It’s dated 9/79 and highlights 31 cartridges so it’s not too early.  I’m not sure if it was a point of sale flyer maybe?  It’s Interesting that it says “Come in and ask to play!” On the cover. Anyone else come across one of these before?

1AE357F0-CE16-4D59-B099-8694EFB9A3EF.thumb.jpeg.e6ef4b0e18fc893358ed8e5f48e854c5.jpeg

E753B579-4AE3-4B40-A73F-C995239124B4.thumb.jpeg.0bcb57706be9130f094556033206f337.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

Another rare Sears flyer I just picked up. It wasn’t cheap, but I fully intended not to lose it as I’ve never seen another.  It’s dated 9/79 and highlights 31 cartridges so it’s not too early.  I’m not sure if it was a point of sale flyer maybe?  It’s Interesting that it says “Come in and ask to play!” On the cover. Anyone else come across one of these before?

1AE357F0-CE16-4D59-B099-8694EFB9A3EF.thumb.jpeg.e6ef4b0e18fc893358ed8e5f48e854c5.jpeg

E753B579-4AE3-4B40-A73F-C995239124B4.thumb.jpeg.0bcb57706be9130f094556033206f337.jpeg

Very cool! Missed this thread, love the other one as well. Wonder if there are other Sears Inty brochures out there we haven't seen? 

32 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

I personally only know of the one. That ones rare in itself and took me a while to find.  You would think they would have advertised with more than one  however. 

Agreed. It took me a while as well. Seems strange that there's not another one. Fingers crossed we find something else

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Bill, you had asked if anyone had come across this catalog.  I was fortunate to acquire one recently.  This was only the second time I've seen one, with yours being the first.  Thanks for shedding light on this catalog, otherwise I never would have spotted it.  It does seem to be pretty scarce.  I think you're right that it was a point of sale flyer.

Al/Rom, here's a scan of the catalog, in case you'd like to include it in your respective websites.

sears0000.thumb.jpg.8de782ef6746c9c73b9398ab5e9c8814.jpg

sears20000.thumb.jpg.34f33201a8b16c59e4256fb8422d89f7.jpg

• Like 3