IGNORED

Anyone Interested in a drop in tactile switch replacement controller board for CV / Adam?

Osgeld

I have found some moderate success with some drop in tacticle switch joystick controller boards for atari 2600's ... almost 1,000 sold world wide in 2 years and still selling out and getting new stock notification's 

Would anyone be interested in a similar concept for CV (my first console ever)?

It would not be as cheap as the 2600 version just cause of the diode matrix, pcb size and side acting switches, but pretty darn cheap

what you would get is a board with 

Connector for stock keypad

4 brand new almost clicky tactile switches 

2 clicky trigger switches 

Similar to the 2600 boards just take the controller apart, remove old PCB, replace with new PCB and screw back together

no cutting, modding, sanding or other irreversible things, just drop in, plug wires up and start playing 

Just feeling things out before I dive too deep in this rabbit hole 

cv_controller_starting.thumb.jpg.71a2de95f497fbadc618f169835fe953.jpg

just for reference ...

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly, the wiring to the CV controller PCBs is sometimes soldered and so a quick drop in replacement may not be possible in all cases.  Some desoldering and soldering may be required.

Personally, I have always found that CV controllers with unresponsive controls can easily be revived with a little contact cleaning and deoxit.

7 hours ago, doubledown said:

Clicky, short throw, tactile buttons, "feeling" like those found on "old-school" flip phones?  My opinion is that I wouldn't care for them, especially for the Right & Left fire buttons.  

I feel the same way.  There is a unique feel to the CV controller joystick and buttons and, while I may in the minority, I really like the way they feel and respond and wouldn't want that changed.

1 hour ago, Ikrananka said:

If I remember correctly, the wiring to the CV controller PCBs is sometimes soldered and so a quick drop in replacement may not be possible in all cases.  Some desoldering and soldering may be required.

That's correct...some controllers have the crimped-on connectors that slide on to the board edge connectors of the PCB, and some controllers have bare wires that are installed through holes in the PCB, soldered, and "supported" with hot glue.  Then there is the concern of the keypad.  A single sided, 90 degree, edge connector is soldered to the PCB, and the very flexible plastic membrane of the keypad (with conductive traces) is slid into it.  This membrane can be pulled out of this edge connector very easily, but without the proper tools, can be difficult to slide back in...due to its flexibility.  

1 hour ago, Osgeld said:

Thanks for the heads up on the solder comnectors I have never ran across one without the terminals

There are seemingly less soldered controllers out there, than there are crimped/edge connector controllers (with regards to the cable connection), but I come across them every now and then.  I've never bothered to look at the board Rev. to be able to tell you if they were early, middle, or late variants.

I've actually come across more soldered in PCBs vs the crimped on. And when I do have crimped on connectors, they usually are on the verge of breaking if you mess with them. So in many cases, I've ended up cutting the crimps off and then soldering the wires onto the contact pads anyway to make sure they are secure. So there is likely some out there that used to be crimped, and are now soldered LOL!