IGNORED

Okimate 10 with Print Shop

Suffolk

I'm running an 800XL and 1050 setup. Works great. I have Print Shop but can't get it to work with my Okimate 10 printer. It's not an option for the print setup feature. The disk is good and works well with my Epson.

Any ideas how to get the Oki to work with Print Shop?

There is another thread I started about the Okimate.  Basically, I believe if we want the Okimate to work with Printshop, we would have to write our own driver for it.  Control codes are available at least.

I am not sure if it is possible to create some sort of RAM resident program that would translate Epson commands to the Okimate.  Either that or we need to compare commands that are 'close enough'.

Edited by leech

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-print-shop-printer-driver-okimate-10_31909.html

I've been trying to hunt down this program.

Even though his disk software it's listed on his webpage any more, Bruce at www.myatari.com had a copy of it at one time. You might try contacting him to see it he still does and if he will sell it to you.

You can see it with the way back machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180602032457/http://www.myatari.com/atarixld.txt

2 hours ago, Allan said:

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-print-shop-printer-driver-okimate-10_31909.html

I've been trying to hunt down this program.

Even though his disk software it's listed on his webpage any more, Bruce at www.myatari.com had a copy of it at one time. You might try contacting him to see it he still does and if he will sell it to you.

You can see it with the way back machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180602032457/http://www.myatari.com/atarixld.txt

Interesting!  If anyone finds it of course, let's make sure it is added to the preservation archive!

19 hours ago, leech said:

There is another thread I started about the Okimate.  Basically, I believe if we want the Okimate to work with Printshop, we would have to write our own driver for it.  Control codes are available at least.

I am not sure if it is possible to create some sort of RAM resident program that would translate Epson commands to the Okimate.  Either that or we need to compare commands that are 'close enough'.

The command set of the Okimate 10 is similar to but not the same as Epson.  I would think a driver or hack of Print Shop should be possible.   Epson has a bigger command set, but I think Print Shop only needs the ability to print in bitmap graphics mode?

13 minutes ago, zzip said:

The command set of the Okimate 10 is similar to but not the same as Epson.  I would think a driver or hack of Print Shop should be possible.   Epson has a bigger command set, but I think Print Shop only needs the ability to print in bitmap graphics mode?

Yeah, that's what I would think as well.  One of us should email Bruce and see if he has a copy of that driver disk.  At the very least so we can throw it up on the net somewhere.

Thanks for all the feedback...I'll email Bruce.

I found this on the webs during a search: Any thoughts ads to where these drivers would exist?

Print Shop Drivers

Owners of the 8-bit version of Print Shop from Broderbund Software might want to check out a series of new printer drivers from Innovative Concepts. Drivers are now available for the Atari 1020 plotter/printer, the Epson LQ-500/800 24-pin printers and the Okimate 10 color printer. The drivers may be used with both Print Shop and the Print Shop Companion. These programs do not modify your original disks. Each driver is priced at $14.95, plus $2.00 shipping and handling.

Innovative Concepts
31172 Shawn Drive
Warren, MI 48093
(313) 293-0730
CIRCLE #118 ON READER SERVICE CARD.

All product announcements to be considered for News Clips should be sent to News Clips, ANALOG Computing, P.O. Box 1413-M.O., Manchester, CT 06040-1413. Photos, screen shots and product samples should be included whenever possible.

And the link to another article...so they existed at some point!

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v8n8/newproducts.html

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:31 PM, leech said:

Yeah, that's what I would think as well.  One of us should email Bruce and see if he has a copy of that driver disk.  At the very least so we can throw it up on the net somewhere.

I tried every single driver on the PrintShop disk...nothing worked for the Okimate. But I did just email Bruce...will let you all know what i hear.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suffolk said:

I tried every single driver on the PrintShop disk...nothing worked for the Okimate. But I did just email Bruce...will let you all know what i hear.

Thanks

Awesome!  I was going to do it as well, but it slipped my mind, and yesterday was full of fail, so most likely my emails would have gone to a spam folder, or triggered WWIII.

33 minutes ago, Suffolk said:

I spoke to him today...great dude. He has a full plate right now, but I will follow up soon and he's going to try to find it. He knows it existed and he used to have it. Hopefully he can find it. Will report back.

Yeah!  I talked to Bruce many many years ago when I bought an 850 from him.  It was Pre-ebay for sure.  Talked to him for about an hour on the phone.  Really nice guy.  Very much into Atari.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Suffolk said:

Random question...is there anyone out there who knows how to repair floppy disks? I have original Castle/Beyond Castle W but the disks won't load. Curious if that capabilty exists in the world!

There are several things out there about cleaning them.  But I would say your best bet is to get something like a kryoflux or greaseweazle to connect a drive and write out the ATX version and create a new label.

Since the A8 version of Print Shop doesn't have color printing capabilities, all you're going to get out of this is very expensive black and white dot matrix printer output (unless you're planning on running multiple passes per print). Is the Okimate 10 the only Atari-compatible printer you have access to? 

Edited by jamm