IGNORED

Should I get a 130XE?

tsom

I don't think you'll be as happy with the 130xe as you will be with your XL's and original 800's. The only advantage is the extra RAM to use for a RAM disk and if you really wanted more RAM, you could just invest in the add on for your XL or original 800. If you're a completionist and you just want to get one for your collection, then get it, but the XE didn't have the quality that the XL had.

Edited by Justin Payne

Well if your 800xl is unmodified i would say that the 130XE is a nice addition.  Specifically the video output is better quality and the extra memory/freddie chip are nice to have.  Rev C BASIC is also nice to have.

If your 800XL has a video mod, Rev C BASIC ROM and some kind of memory upgrade, you have 99% of what you need.  Freddie would be the only missing piece, but seems very inessential generally.

56 minutes ago, bbking67 said:

If your 800XL has a video mod, Rev C BASIC ROM and some kind of memory upgrade, you have 99% of what you need.  Freddie would be the only missing piece, but seems very inessential generally.

With modern memory upgrades like U1MB and tf_hh's 512K upgrades in an XL, they provide true antic access to extended memory (in compy modes) just like freddie provides in XE's.

Unless theres something else freddie does?

It all comes down to nostalgia and what you had back then.

All the modern upgrades are compatible with both system and so is the software. I was an XE guy, so I went with a 130XE to recreate my old setup. If I'd been an 800 or XL guy, I would've gone with those instead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

the XL line, still works of art.....yummmmm.

The XL is pretty nice, but the original 800 style is tops in my book.

The only thing I've done to the XL is the one wire mod to get s-video on the video port. So much nicer.

Indeed, choose an XL for the U1MB after some advice from FJC, although I prefer the 800 as a machine the XL is more versatile and looks great. Apart from my non love of the 400 excuse for a keyboard I still think the 400 is a brilliant looking little machine..

Got to agree that the breadbin just looks poor, at least the C64C looks better..

1 minute ago, tsom said:

The only thing I've done to the XL is the one wire mod to get s-video on the video port. So much nicer.

The 800 is a tank (in a good way), looks great and has a superb keyboard, a thing of beauty..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tsom said:

I think the 800, XL and XE are all attractive (I don't care for the 400 much).    800 is also a high-quality build.   XL's are cheaper but not too bad, XE's feel very cheaply made to me.

To me, the favorite of my collection is the 1200xl (for it's keyboard mainly, I think it's superior to the 800s).  But I would still pick up a 130xe, and if you don't like the keyboard, you can try the spring set from Best Electronics.  I recently attempted a second time to install them in mine though, and it made the keys work basically if you look at them.  Was way too touchy for my tastes, so I went back.

But for sure the 800/1200xl have the best keyboards of them all, followed by the 600xl/800xl ones.  You know it's a crying shame that all the ST/XE line didn't end up with the Mega ST keyboard style keys, as it's fantastic.

But to answer the original question, YES.  Just pick up the 130xe.  Nice little system, my only real complaint about mine (outside of the keyboard not being as nice as the aforementioned ones) is the cart port being in the back, it just makes it odd in some setups.  In fact, if it weren't for the SIDE3 being already so far along, I'd ask if there weren't a way to make a half-height cart for it...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leech said:

To me, the favorite of my collection is the 1200xl (for it's keyboard mainly, I think it's superior to the 800s).  But I would still pick up a 130xe, and if you don't like the keyboard, you can try the spring set from Best Electronics.  I recently attempted a second time to install them in mine though, and it made the keys work basically if you look at them.  Was way too touchy for my tastes, so I went back.

I bought a spring replacement set for my STe, and thought it only made a marginal improvement.  Not as good as I was hoping for.

5 minutes ago, leech said:

You know it's a crying shame that all the ST/XE line didn't end up with the Mega ST keyboard style keys, as it's fantastic

My friend had a Mega ST, and that thing was a joy to type on!  Would have loved to have a keyboard like that on my ST,  but unfortunately you get what you pay for.

6 minutes ago, zzip said:

I bought a spring replacement set for my STe, and thought it only made a marginal improvement.  Not as good as I was hoping for.

My friend had a Mega ST, and that thing was a joy to type on!  Would have loved to have a keyboard like that on my ST,  but unfortunately you get what you pay for.

Huh, the 'TT Touch' is the one I got for my STs from there (well for the Falcon and the 1040STe, as I couldn't stand typing on those) and it seemed to make a decent improvement.  But they aren't springs, they're the little rubber 'cups'.  Best just makes thicker ones, so they have a bit more stiffness to them.

I finally got a Mega ST keyboard, and yeah it's a wonder to type on!  While I can use it with either the Mega STe or TT030 that I have, I've been thinking of swapping it with the Falcon's.... sadly, it isn't just a straight swap, as that would be awesome!

My first Computer was an Atari 800XL. I still have it and it is still functional. I also want to keep this machine in its original state for nostalgic reasons. For everyday use I have an 130XE. It is definitely not as robust as the 800XL and of lower build quality. It also had some issues with failing RAMs and logic chips that needed to be fixed. But I like the ergonomics of the XE-line. The keyboard is very flat and good to use in my opinion. Also, I am not scared to upgrade it internally as it is not as precious to me as my 800XL. Design-wise I like both series. The XL-line is classy and the XE-line is still modern looking imho.

Edited by starfighter

50 minutes ago, leech said:

Huh, the 'TT Touch' is the one I got for my STs from there (well for the Falcon and the 1040STe, as I couldn't stand typing on those) and it seemed to make a decent improvement.  But they aren't springs, they're the little rubber 'cups'.  Best just makes thicker ones, so they have a bit more stiffness to them.

I finally got a Mega ST keyboard, and yeah it's a wonder to type on!  While I can use it with either the Mega STe or TT030 that I have, I've been thinking of swapping it with the Falcon's.... sadly, it isn't just a straight swap, as that would be awesome!

Meh, I'm personally picky about keyboard since I've never learned touch typing. I also code mostly on my modern PC and then transfer the result to the 130XE to test on bare metal.

I also never used the XL or 800 and as I said previously, nostalgia makes me love the 130XE independent of the flaws it may have. 

59 minutes ago, starfighter said:

My first Computer was an Atari 800XL. I still have it and it is still functional. I also want to keep this machine in its original state for nostalgic reasons. For everyday use I have an 130XE. It is definitely not as robust as the 800XL and of lower build quality. It also had some issues with failing RAMs and logic chips that needed to be fixed. But I like the ergonomics of the XE-line. The keyboard is very flat and good to use in my opinion. Also, I am not scared to upgrade it internally as it is not as precious to me as my 800XL. Design-wise I like both series. The XL-line is classy and the XE-line is still modern looking imho.

Yeah, I'm the same there, first computer was the 800XL, and I still refuse to mod it (only mods I've done on it was the wire for the chroma line, and I replaced the joystick port recently, as one of the pins had broken inside it).  I know at some point in time my brother may have tried doing some sort of mod on the PBI, as there is some solder on there.  I suppose one day I should just take a wick to it and clean the pad there. 

Oddly, I have yet to buy a second 800xl (I generally like to have one unmodded system, and one that I mod).  I do now own 3x 130XEs, 1 with all the things (vbxe, u1mb, rapidus, stereo pokey), and one that is stock, and one that is PAL.

7 hours ago, tsom said:

I've got a line on a nice 130xe. Reconditioned, cleaned up and with a modern power supply and included composite cable. I already have a 800xl, and two 800's.

Do I need a 130xe?

(I don't need much convincing... ;) )

You probably don't 'need' it but if the price is right and your budget will allow it, why not? The XE's have their own charm. If you don't have an XE then it would be a nice addition to your collection. The Best keyboard cups upgrade is a modest improvement but only get that if you find you type on it a lot, imo.  The most unique and cool to have XE is the XEGS...