IGNORED

A8 as PC keyboard?

Don't think it would work very well on an A8, total lack of keys to map to modern PC keyboards,

appreciate you could do most things, but as @xrbrevin said what a waste of a glorious machine.

On the other hand, I've got a USB PC keyboard working with my 800 ? just need to complete

the software in the A8 to recover on a warm start and a few of the more obscure key codes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Don't think it would work very well on an A8, total lack of keys to map to modern PC keyboards,

appreciate you could do most things, but as @xrbrevin said what a waste of a glorious machine.

I agree completely. It would seem like a person trying to get the same work done with a broken arm, which wouldn't be very efficient. Now for using an Atari emulator on the PC it does make sense to have a 'real' A8 keyboard.

On the other hand when you reverse the situation (PC keyboard on A8) you get a lot more functionality due to having those extra keys and the numeric keypad.

On the other hand, I've got a USB PC keyboard working with my 800 ? just need to complete

the software in the A8 to recover on a warm start and a few of the more obscure key codes.

Curious as to what you are using to create the bridge.

• Like 1

Well I certainly can't disagree with that, but the ideal situation would be to have a modded 600XL (this really wouldn't work with any other A8) used as a PC keyboard during the day...and then revert to its intended purpose at night. Why not have the best of both worlds? And many of my mechanical PS/2 keyboards don't have special keys on them in any case.

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Curious as to what you are using to create the bridge.

Using an Arduino Uno with a USB HAT, I'm connecit the keyboard directly to the HAT and

programmed the Arduino to map keystrokes on the USB keyboard to A8 keystrokes.

On the A8, I use less than 256 bytes of code to get the keystroke data through joystick port 2

obviously I can't do anything about START,SELECT & OPTION.