IGNORED

keep 7800 in box

Set it up on a shelf, plug it into a strip that has a power connector so you can turn off whatever is connected to the strip without unplugging it. Throw a cloth over it when it's not in use. Sticking it in a box seems an overly complicated (and potentially harmful) solution to a very simple problem...

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

I do not have a 7800, but I do have a 2600. To avoid excess wear and tear on the hardware, I keep it in a storage facility located some 2,500 miles away from where I live. For greater certainty, the keys to the facility are held by a third-party. 

It is the classic trade-off between convenience and long-term preservation. I have opted to emphasis preservation. 

Just a bit of anecdotal observation: I have, many times, seen AC plugs that are "worn out", not because the metal has worn away, but because each insertion puts stress on where the 2 or 3 metal pins get wobbly, or one even comes off.

And any electrician will tell you that electric sockets wear out; they usually become loose and don't hold the plug, or get dusty/dirty enough to cause problems.

No matter how many insertions/removals a particular male/female plug combination is rated for, that's only true for ideal conditions, which do not match conditions where human beings, or even gamers, are involved... a small tremor in the fingers every time while inserting or removing those barrel plugs, for example, can reduce their life to a mere dozens of times before failure.

And you also might consider that 30 year old plastic and solder joints also become more fragile.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:20 PM, Keatah said:

Sometimes it even forms a bandwagon. And that makes a whole thread or even the whole forum lowbrow.

I've always wanted to see Mjolnir crush a 10 digit numeric sequence through the trippletopped roadrunning Keatah filled bandwagon! 

• Like 1