IGNORED

Atari 5200 Wico Controller Missing Y Adapter

Dolphbucs

Greetings Everyone. Long time stalker of these forums. A little background … I was born in 1961 and lived the glory days of Atari first hand. A few years ago I decided to go back and re-acquire the video game systems of my youth and now have EVERY major console released by Atari, Nintendo , Sega, Sony and Xbox. I even have a Magnavox Oddessy 2 and a 3DO.

Anyway, the last console I got was the Atari 5200. It has two working controllers ( I know, I should consider myself lucky and just stop there ) but from all I've heard I figured it wise to pick up a Wico Command & Control 5200 controller. My problem is this:

I knew the controller I ordered on ebay was missing the y-adapter by the listing and discussions with the seller. No problem, there was a Y-adapter for sale as well from a different seller and the controller I got at a really good price. Unfortunately I clicked the buy button on the controller before the adapter and when I went to buy the adapter it was no longer available.

I'm assuming that the Wico controller cannot plug directly into the console as the seller's pictures appear to show it is a 9 pin connector ( I have not received the controller yet … trying to be a bit pro-active here LOL Also, I do know it is the 5200 model ). Is there any other way or adapter out there that will work ? I do have a Trackball controller ( the big official two player one ). I also know that the Very Rare Wico Keypad controller has a jack on it but the only one I can find is $149 for one untested. Thanks in Advance to any who look into this for me and/or respond. 

Edited by Dolphbucs

well you can do it the hard and cheap way or the expensive and easy way

if you can solder a 15 pin female plug and a male 9 pin plug is around 50cents each and you just follow the pin to pin connections below and just use any old wire you have lying around like an eithernet cable or a cut up wall wart cord

if you cant solder i would suggest breakout boards and neo geo extension cable

i am in no way affiliated with these sellers the links are for illustrative purposes only

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DB15-Female-D-SUB-2-Row-15-Pin-Plug-Breakout-Terminal-Solderless-Connector-SI-ps/313154202725

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DB9-Male-D-Sub-9-Pin-Plug-Breakout-Terminals-Solderless-Nut-Type-Connector-PLUEW/203056263360

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-High-Quality-10FT-Controller-Extension-cable-for-NEO-GEO-AES-USA-SELLER/381701927963

you can also buy some pushbuttons for start pause and reset although i never use pause and reset i would suggest just wiring one to start and the others to # and *

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3PCS-Micro-Lockless-Momentary-On-Off-Push-Button-12V-5A-Switch-Tact-Assortment/382864366387

so you would connect one leg of the switch to 15 pin units start =4 and 7,#= 8 and 1,*= 8 and 3

pause=4 and 6 reset= 4 and 5

wico connections  all are in 15 pin to 9pin

9-7

10-8

11-6

(12-1) never needed but was there in case wico used its own trackball in the past future i suggest not connecting it

13-5

14-4

15-3

i could tell you to get a matrix keypad but i dont have the time to explain its pinouts

Edited by bohoki

On 7/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, Dolphbucs said:

Greetings Everyone. Long time stalker of these forums. A little background … I was born in 1961 and lived the glory days of Atari first hand. A few years ago I decided to go back and re-acquire the video game systems of my youth and now have EVERY major console released by Atari, Nintendo , Sega, Sony and Xbox. I even have a Magnavox Oddessy 2 and a 3DO.

Anyway, the last console I got was the Atari 5200. It has two working controllers ( I know, I should consider myself lucky and just stop there ) but from all I've heard I figured it wise to pick up a Wico Command & Control 5200 controller. My problem is this:

I knew the controller I ordered on ebay was missing the y-adapter by the listing and discussions with the seller. No problem, there was a Y-adapter for sale as well from a different seller and the controller I got at a really good price. Unfortunately I clicked the buy button on the controller before the adapter and when I went to buy the adapter it was no longer available.

I'm assuming that the Wico controller cannot plug directly into the console as the seller's pictures appear to show it is a 9 pin connector ( I have not received the controller yet … trying to be a bit pro-active here LOL Also, I do know it is the 5200 model ). Is there any other way or adapter out there that will work ? I do have a Trackball controller ( the big official two player one ). I also know that the Very Rare Wico Keypad controller has a jack on it but the only one I can find is $149 for one untested. Thanks in Advance to any who look into this for me and/or respond. 

I have an extra Y cable. Make me an offer if you wish to purchase it.