IGNORED

RetroManCave has a video on the Atari 800XL

adam1977

I don't think I have ever seen that style of power brick before.  The 'ingot' style I had were much smaller (the same size as the 1050 power bricks).  So far I have been lucky and the one I had just stopped working, rather than fry my RAM.  So I ordered two of the rebuildable ones a few years back and they work great.

Would still love a white one to match the XL series though.

12 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

yes those PSUs are common in the UK.

someone should tell Neil (RMC) that it needs a 3D printed parallel port cover, he didnt appear to know it is absent from his.

He can have one from me, I have one original left. But only, if he goes for the full restore. ;)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

yes those PSUs are common in the UK.

someone should tell Neil (RMC) that it needs a 3D printed parallel port cover, he didnt appear to know it is absent from his.

Isn't that technically called the Parallel Bus Interface?  I hear parallel port and thing DB25 printer port...

Edit: anyone use these?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/224068469040

Edited by leech

31 minutes ago, leech said:

Isn't that technically called the Parallel Bus Interface?  I hear parallel port and thing DB25 printer port...

Yup, the PBI. I love these trash to treasure series from RMC, hopefully he goes for the full restore! 

• Like 2

The PSU threw me, I initially thought it was an ingot because of the extruded shape and left a message but then it hit me that it wasn't smooth so wasn't an ingot. None of mine match that PSU..

Sounds like an ingot ie epoxy filled or just huge transformer? It didn't sound hollow when he moved it about..

Poor Neil didn't know a lot about the Atari though apart from researched stuff, clearly more an Amstrad and Speccy man...

Also, was it me or did the keyboard test bit look like it was randomly picking keys even after he picked it off the table?

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Also, was it me or did the keyboard test bit look like it was randomly picking keys even after he picked it off the table?

I think it was because the keyboard was facing the table and some keys were pressed due to its own weight.

That's what I initially thought but he had lifted it off the table and I swear I still say indications that keys were still being pressed...I'll have another look just to make sure it's not just me being daft..

Edited by Mclaneinc

3 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

That's what I initially thought but he had lifted it off the table and I swear I still say indications that keys were still being pressed...I'll have another look just to make sure it's not just me being daft..

You are right, he lifts it at 24:34. Could be, some keys are stuck or so. Don´t know. He should do the keyboard test again, afer giving everything a good scrub. ;)

11 minutes ago, skr said:

You are right, he lifts it at 24:34. Could be, some keys are stuck or so. Don´t know. He should do the keyboard test again, afer giving everything a good scrub. ;)

Doesn't the Atari do this automatically on "all tests" you don't actually press any keys but the screen shows that you are. 
Am I making any sense?
I'm just running my 800XL through the "All tests" menu
Confirmed, if you just leave the XL to run through "ALL TESTS" it shows key presses 

Edited by mimo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mimo said:

Confirmed, if you just leave the XL to run through "ALL TESTS" it shows key presses 

Ah, didn´t remember that. Back in the days I only used to listen to the audio visual test for no reason.

Nowadays I often watch the "Self Demo" ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mimo said:

Doesn't the Atari do this automatically on "all tests" you don't actually press any keys but the screen shows that you are. 
Am I making any sense?
I'm just running my 800XL through the "All tests" menu

I don't think I have ever used the All Tests myself.  But I bring up the keyboard test to... well test the keyboard.  He did this in BASIC.  Which won't really show you if Shift and some other keys work.  Though I think it is the Break key that doesn't do anything in the test screen either.

1 hour ago, skr said:

Ah, didn´t remember that. Back in the days I only used to listen to the audio visual test for no reason.

Nowadays I often watch the "Self Demo" ;)

I used to listen to it as well!  I only recently discovered it is the first few notes of a classical song

9 minutes ago, leech said:

I used to listen to it as well!  I only recently discovered it is the first few notes of a classical song

At some point I´ve learned it is the beginning of a Waltz, but I don´t remember exactly which one. Found it some years ago but didn´t save it. My fading memory is beeping "Polish Waltz", but I couldn´t find something again.

• Like 1

Thanks man! Now I know where I heard it last: We have a Bulgarian piano player who did some live shows in my Planetarium where he played the whole suite. Have to send him the audio visual self test immediately. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skr said:

Thanks man! Now I know where I heard it last: We have a Bulgarian piano player who did some live shows in my Planetarium where he played the whole suite. Have to send him the audio visual self test immediately. :)

There was a video game that used the same song, but I can never remember it (it was on the Atari 8bit).  May have had 'ghost' in the title.