IGNORED

RetroManCave has a video on the Atari 800XL

adam1977

I have just over a dozen English Atari tapes, all with standard jewel cases except these two. One is an oversized jewel case and the other clam shell case.

20200806_093743.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

I am now currently sunbathing reversed (more yellowed right side) unevenly yellowed 800XL with the same keyboard type. No peroxid here and after 5 sunny days it looks only slightly yellowed now. The keys were done in 2 days. I had to desolder and find out one bad MT RAM chip in addition. No key is missing here. And curiosly my Space bar has too only one spring to the right of switch.

And yeah no superfluos break key here.

Edited by archeocomp
  • Like 1

This is what I get for responding to an early part of the thread.

The song from both Spelunker and the Atari XL/XE self test...

It's the opening notes of the Promenade from Modest Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition"  (1874)

One of my favorite all time classical suites. (and the back story on it is very touching as well, he wrote it for his friend, an artist who died before his work was exhibited.)

and one of my favorite recordings of it was done by Isao Tomita.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, zzip said:

Spy Hunter on the 8-bit was a big hit with my friends BITD,  As I recall,  wasn't there an easy andhard mode?   The easy mode was sparse, and I wonder if that's what he played and panned it for?

I was wondering the same thing as it never seemed that sparse to me!  Was also wondering if it was because he was running some earlier version.  Took us accidebtally stepping on the second joystick to figure out how to use the secondary weapons back in the day.  Most of the 8bit games we learned by happy accidents, like my cat jumping on the keyboard to move in Asylum...

4 hours ago, leech said:

I was wondering the same thing as it never seemed that sparse to me!  Was also wondering if it was because he was running some earlier version.  Took us accidebtally stepping on the second joystick to figure out how to use the secondary weapons back in the day.  Most of the 8bit games we learned by happy accidents, like my cat jumping on the keyboard to move in Asylum...

He did have it on cassette.  Mine was on cart.  Don't know if that's a difference, and his just didn't have the advanced mode?

I was watching Jan Beta's SepTandy video and later LGR's.  I've started posting the comment that I'm looking forward to their Octari videos.  

Most of these channels have done at least one Atari video but seem to then never get them out again.  If they are worried that TRS80's aren't getting enough love then maybe we can get them to think about a regular month for focusing on the Atari.  Most of these channels give the Commodores a lot of views, which is understandable since finding a broken C64 to fix is no big stretch.  Finding a broken Atari (unless you find one sitting in a pool of water) is much more difficult. 

On 9/18/2020 at 7:01 AM, zzip said:

He did have it on cassette.  Mine was on cart.  Don't know if that's a difference, and his just didn't have the advanced mode?

I think this needs to be tested, as now I'm curious.  Though I have no idea where to get the cassette version.  I only ever played whatever was on floppy disk back in the day.  I have it on cart for the 5200, though am not sure if that's a newer port or an older one.  Haven't had time to even play it on the 5200.  But I always thought the Atari 8bit port was a fantastic one.  (we are talking about Spy Hunter in case that got lost in the thread).