IGNORED

URI1, URI2, URI3

Omega-TI

4 hours ago, Vorticon said:

platoterm

The Platoterm site, that's the HTTP://WWW.IRATA.ONLINE right?

I cannot remember the ones but Stuart also has some URL's liste a little over halfway down on this link --- > http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm

There is also another one I also cannot remember with Lilly & Grace in the URL, I sure he'll pop in with the correct link.

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

The Platoterm site, that's the HTTP://WWW.IRATA.ONLINE right?

I cannot remember the ones but Stuart also has some URL's liste a little over halfway down on this link --- > http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm

There is also another one I also cannot remember with Lilly & Grace in the URL, I sure he'll pop in with the correct link.

CALL TIPI("PI.HTTP://TI99.IRATA.ONLINE/PLATO")

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vorticon said:

FC has ftp capabilities. Just type ftp ftp.whtech.com/tipi and off you go

That works well!

Try setting your URIx="http://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI"  (x=1 to 3)

from Extended BASIC type:

RUN "URIx.CATALOG"  

or

CALL TIPI("URIx.EDIT40")

CALL TIPI("URIx.DM2K")

Some of the stuff may not work.   Those examples are worth the price of admission.  ?

1 hour ago, dgrissom said:

Some of the stuff may not work.   Those examples are worth the price of admission.  ?

Yes, it's good for loading programs, but so far at least, I've not discovered a way to actually view the contents of an Internet directory with the TI, or download and save those programs to the TI directly from a website.

... essentially my ultimate goal is to remove the PC from the equation altogether.  As it stands now, you already have to know what it is you want before you go get it.

Yes, I suppose you can already load an Extended BASIC program by typing: OLD URIx.PROGNAME and then saving it to the TIPI like SAVE TIPI.BASIC.PROGNAME, but not yet with EA/5's, at least to my knowledge.

For sites like whtech, all that would be needed is a "simple" text based browser, which is something we do not currently have.

• Like 1

(just information) 

Device names on the TI do not equal file storage devices.. URI1 - URI3 are more like RS232/1 RS232/2 than DSK1.   You can connect to a stream and read records from it... no LVL2 IO at all is supported, and they are read-only.

So, you can load programs or access record data from them, just as on a 4A you can load a program or open a record based file from a serial port... 

Technically they are aliases for the PI. device's PI.HTTP and PI.HTTPS support. 

The FTP program uses lower level TCP stack from TIPI, and then implements the FTP application layer protocol on the 9900. This demonstrates that the cloud is the limit (LOL).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

... essentially my ultimate goal is to remove the PC from the equation altogether.  As it stands now, you already have to know what it is you want before you go get it.

Yes, I suppose you can already load an Extended BASIC program by typing: OLD URIx.PROGNAME and then saving it to the TIPI like SAVE TIPI.BASIC.PROGNAME, but not yet with EA/5's, at least to my knowledge.

For sites like whtech, all that would be needed is a "simple" text based browser, which is something we do not currently have.

Whisper whisper....

Its called lynx.  It lives inside the tipi.  You can call it over the telnet session. If it does not yet live inside the tipi, you can fix that easily with doing this over the telnet session

sudo apt-get install lynx

Edited by wierd_w
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, wierd_w said:

Whisper whisper....

Its called lynx.  It lives inside the tipi.  You can call it over the telnet session. If it does not yet live inside the tipi, you can fix that easily with doing this over the telnet session

sudo apt-get install lynx

I'll try it.  I used lynx a long time ago.  Forgot about it....  Based on speed of the interface, I would probably stick with PC based.

Force Command's FTP will do most of what is requested with the exception of uploads. (not implemented in TIPI/FC and most FTP sites won't allow it).

Jedimatt42 has a good step by step example at: https://github.com/jedimatt42/fcmd/wiki/Commands#ftp-client

FTP from Force Command is a little slow but seems to work fine. 

I logged in.  CD'ed to TIPI.  Got a directory.  and downloaded another copy of EDIT40 to my TIPI.MAIN directory. (That makes about 10 copies.  I must like the software!)  ?

You can specify the terminal type, and force monochrome, and various other.

From the manpage;

-display_charset=MIMEname
set the charset for the terminal output.

-nocolor
force color mode off, overriding terminal capabilities and any -color flags, COLORTERM variable, and saved .lynxrc settings.

-term=TERM
tell Lynx what terminal type to assume it is talking to. (This may be useful for remote execution, when, for example, Lynx connects to a remote TCP/IP port that starts a script that, in turn, starts another Lynx process.)

It can be made to play nice with just about anything. Including a teletype machine, most likely.
Edited by wierd_w

On 7/25/2020 at 12:13 AM, jedimatt42 said:

My TELNET program isn't complete enough of an ANSI terminal or vt100 to support lynx in a satisfactory way.  This might be on purpose...  

You cad!  A crippled TELNET.  What is this world coming to!   ?

BTW.  Lynx kind of sucks wind.  (I tried it through Putty and SSH. )

Still has one of the best names for a browser!

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

I didn't actually cripple my TELNET on purpose... I mostly just lost interest. I don't BBS. So making it capable of undermining the work of Stuart seemed like a poor return on investment.

I agree,  perhaps in a future version, Stuart's browser might add new file handling features.  Although, I'm not certain that this really necessary?  

More powerful machines from the late 80's (Atari ST/ Amigas as an examples) can't handle anything resembling today's web pages.   

Our carefully crafted TI web and BBS pages are still the way to go if you want to use net based stuff.     It seems to fit most of our needs.

It would be great if we could start writing TI compatible web pages that take more advantage of all the features  of current and future markup language.  I specifically appreciate the use of of sprites, sound, and graphics    

Some specialized PC/Mac based tools to help build those pages would be really cool!  (Of course, they may already exist and I missed the thread on AtariAge.)

24 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

Is there any documentation on specialized keystrokes in TELNET?

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/blob/1ea33e66d7209a47d5defbbee2fe5d7da24af3aa/examples/telnet/terminal.c#L518

I don't remember why left arrow is disabled. 

input to this function is probably result of KSCAN(5) ... so in the Appendix of "Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Computer: User's Reference Guide"  Appendix - figure 3 

• Like 1