IGNORED

ABBUC Magazine 141 PDF now available in ENGLISH

skr

Finally!

Magazine 141 is now available as an completely english PDF in the download section for ABBUC members.

Please excuse the long wait. Thanks to the help of @luckybuck, we now established a workflow to create the english version.

Magazine 142 PDF in english will hopefully be available at the same time, when the printed magazine arrives at the first members.

We also now work on finishing the english version of 139 and 140.

If you are a member, but can´t access the member download area, please send me a message. You need to have a log in at the ABBUC website to which I manually have to grant the corresponding rights to.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the English version!!  Looking forward to more English versions as they become available!!

I'm a new ABBUC member.  Are there any other English versions of your quarterly magazine from previous years (2019 on backward) available?  Considering this year is your 35th Anniversary (Congratulations!!), how many of your other previous issues (aside from issues 139 to 141 and the upcoming issue 142 which you explained above) are available in an English version?

18 minutes ago, irich2 said:

I'm a new ABBUC member.  Are there any other English versions of your quarterly magazine from previous years (2019 on backward) available?  Considering this year is your 35th Anniversary (Congratulations!!), how many of your other previous issues (aside from issues 139 to 141 and the upcoming issue 142 which you explained above) are available in an English version?

There was no english version before this. From now on we want to release every magazine in German (printed and PDF) and English (PDF only), as I think it would be easier for non-German speaking people to translate from english than from German.

I don´t think we will recreate the earlier issues as english PDFs, but there is a good chance, we can have the contents as HTML text. There are some things to solve before we can try to make this happen, but it´s on my wish list for sure.

• Like 2

It is great to have an English version of the magazine available. I became a member to support the contest, but it will be very nice to quickly read the magazine instead of trying to use Google Translate. 

Thanks so much for providing this to your English-speaking members. 

Bob C

I´m sure I´ll forget someone, but anyway, thanks to those people, who are involved in the english version yet. With that amount of people, it´s not too much work for each individual. :)

@luckybuck

@CharlieChaplin

@TheMontezuma

@Farb

@slx

@JAC!

@holgibo

@Fratzengeballer

@deejayee
@snicklin

@therealbountybob

and last but not least @Bunsen, who proof reads and corrects all German texts and tells me what to put where, so that I can focus on layouting and stuff.

Of course also many thanks to all the people providing texts for the magazine! I have to mention, that it also works the other way round: If you have an english text, we will translate it to German. So, if you have an intersting story about the Atari, send it in! You don´t have to (but can if you like) worry about layout. Just send it. If you send in a story titled "How I came to my Atari" telling a bit about how your "Atari-career" started, you will be awarded with a small gift.

The current issue surely is not perfect, we could need one or two more native speakers for proof reading. The goal is to have a translation, which is in proper english so that it can be easily translated into other languages, as we also have members who speak Spanish, Polish, Dutch, Slovakian, Russian, French etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is great news!  I was a an ABBUC subscriber for several years, but finally dropped it due to the lack of an English translation.  There was a plan before (and maybe some activity?) to translate the magazine issues into English, but that didn't happen (AFAIK). 

During my membership period, I did get an "ABBUC in a box" which has 30 years of ABBUC disks, etc. on it.  My wish (and I don't think it would be too hard) is for one of your German-English speakers to make a nice "README" on how what is really there and how best to use it.  Something like two or three pages long.  The DVD is all in German, but there are pdfs that can be Google-translated with some good effects.

Perhaps you offer this DVD for sale to members?  That would be an added incentive for folks to subscribe, I think.

Anyway, as I started out -- great news.  Hope it works well.

-Larry

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

This is great news!  I was a an ABBUC subscriber for several years, but finally dropped it due to the lack of an English translation.  There was a plan before (and maybe some activity?) to translate the magazine issues into English, but that didn't happen (AFAIK).

Might be, that there were plans and ideas, but no one ever took action. So when I took over in October 2019 I got into the position to do something and announced from the beginning on, that there will be an english magazine. And here we are now.

Perhaps you offer this DVD for sale to members?  That would be an added incentive for folks to subscribe, I think.

It was offered, but I think, we ran out of copies. Many people put a whole lot of work into it, and of course I now have the raw data. A re-release is on my wishlist, too. But not just create new copies, but also add new developments and information. Will be a bigger project, too, but I can feel some demand for it and I will take a closer look into what should be and could be done, to make it even more useful for everybody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skr said:

(...)

The goal is to have a translation, which is in proper english so that it can be easily translated into other languages, as we also have members who speak Spanish, Polish, Dutch, Slovakian, Russian, French etc.

And Italian. ?

Thank you very much to all the people involved in English translation!

I hope the number of international ABBUC members increase. I will spread the news.

Yes, I am very glad, this happens finally. ? With all the help, I think it is made on solid rock. ?

The old magazines are all availabe in German language now, but with a copy & paste, give: https://www.deepl.com/translator a try, it is with ai already and should meanwhile know all A8 specific technical terms. ;-)

@Larry: I did not forgot your e-mail. My answer will take way much longer, that is why. It is those projects and additionally some evil guys, who take my time. In our other project, please press the thumbs, that one of our IMF friends will have success at the weekend at the Kansas festival. Would be so great to close a project going on for years. ?

@Philsan: there some evil guys in Brussels, but the Atarians are with you, always. The draft is already made:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles#section-Articles-ItalianAtariSoftware

the content will follow. Marsupilami already has done the very most in this regard. With the help of all, I am sure, we will gonna make it.

@all have a great weekend and please keep up the good work.

Edited by luckybuck
forgot something
  • Like 1

Thanks @luckybuck

I am scanning (without watermarks) Italian language manuals, books, magazines, ads and dumping software since 2008.

Check out my website, especially library and programs pages.

In the next weeks I will add other lost Atari Italia software and manuals.

After many years of search, I think I've nearly finished my task, I only miss some (not very good) games on cassette.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, skr said:

I knew, I forget somebody. When I´m in Italy, it´s in the Bozen area, where most people speak German. :)

Actually a language loosely resembling German when they speak to each other....;)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Philsan said:

You should come to Switzerland then, where people speak German, French and Italian. ?

Oh yes, I remember a conference at the Verkehrshaus in Lucerne, where they combined the French, Italian and German Planetarium meeting in one big event. Most of the time I spoke english. ;)