IGNORED

Atari 7800 Homebrew: Into The Void / Number Crusher

fultonbot

@fultonbot, first don't hate me or judge me because I have a Concerto Cart. ;) 

I dropped Into the Void onto my cart to give it a try. I noticed a interesting problem that I also experienced when I tested @vhzc's Knight Guy WIP. 

So the issue is the background color appears to be loading the incorrectly or possibly it's loading a negative color palate. 

vhzc fixed his quickly by forcing the background color to black as the Concerto menu background color is white or light gray and when you load a ROM it is still using menu background color unless it is forced to the game's BG color in the Concerto's case. 

Here are some pics. 

PS. I am not a programmer. I don't know how to fix this. I don't even know if this would be an issue on a regular cart, but it is an issue on the Concerto Cart as it is in it's current form. 

Photo Jul 27, 9 38 33 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 27, 9 38 23 PM.jpg

On 7/26/2020 at 5:08 PM, fultonbot said:

I think I will try that next.  Just add it as a new option on the next set if demos for 2.0.

16K of on-cart RAM is addressable like the normal 4K RAM but it comes the cart?
I take it he 256K ROM is used for code and GFX?
How much does a cart like that cost to produce over a 48K cart using the standard 4K RAM on-board the 7800?

[Edit] Okay, I tried "set extradlmemory on" and I was able to get one extra sprite per zone.  I suppose then by using "set dlmemory" I can address much more RAM and get even more object per zone.  

-Steve

16k on cart is addressable just like the internal 4k ram as far as I know.

I don't know the costs but I don't think that a 256k ROM is significantly more expensive than a 128k or 48K ROM.

Using a format with extra RAM means that you can allocate some of the extra RAM to Maria for the display list. This means you can increase the sprite count considerably for each zone.

Check the example "onehundredandone" that comes with 7800Basic. This example illustrates this really nicely. It uses the 128K + 16K Ram scheme and uses 10kb of the RAM for the display list with doublebuffering.

Edited by Muddyfunster

20 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

@fultonbot, first don't hate me or judge me because I have a Concerto Cart. ;) 

I dropped Into the Void onto my cart to give it a try. I noticed a interesting problem that I also experienced when I tested @vhzc's Knight Guy WIP. 

So the issue is the background color appears to be loading the incorrectly or possibly it's loading a negative color palate. 

Weird!  Thanks for the head's up.  I'll see if there is a way to force it to black.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Check the example "onehundredandone" that comes with 7800Basic. This example illustrates this really nicely. It uses the 128K + 16K Ram scheme and uses 10kb of the RAM for the display list with doublebuffering.

Oh, great.  I'll take a look and see if I can get it to work with my demo app and see how many sprites I can push!

41 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Is "onehundredandone" new?  I don't see it in the samples.

7 hours ago, fultonbot said:

Weird!  Thanks for the head's up.  I'll see if there is a way to force it to black.

BACKGRND=$00

I think it's more of a bug with the way some of the carts don't set things to 0. Mateos has similar issues with carts using RAM, I learnt that you have to MEMSET and fill the RAM with what ever value, a way of blanking it ready to use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I think it was included in the 0.9 distribution.

I only saw 0.7 online.  do you know where the "official" repo is?

[edit]

Scratch that. I found it in the forums

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Using a format with extra RAM means that you can allocate some of the extra RAM to Maria for the display list. This means you can increase the sprite count considerably for each zone.

Using 128K+16K Atari 7800 Basic reports the ability to get 84 sprites per zone. 

It only appears to get near that number with doublebuffering turned on.

Curiously, creating a background with save/restore still limits me to 13 sprites per zone.

Do you know of anyone who has made a cart using 128K ROM and 16K RAM?
My ultimate goal is build a cart for myself and one for my brother, and I want that to be achievable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fultonbot said:

Using 128K+16K Atari 7800 Basic reports the ability to get 84 sprites per zone. 

It only appears to get near that number with doublebuffering turned on.

Curiously, creating a background with save/restore still limits me to 13 sprites per zone.

Do you know of anyone who has made a cart using 128K ROM and 16K RAM?
My ultimate goal is build a cart for myself and one for my brother, and I want that to be achievable.

Millie and Molly is going to use that configuration.  4k is being used by the DL, 3k for pokey tune playback and the rest is set aside for the rewind feature - though it's very efficient and most likely will never ever fill that (it's more than double the c64 version). Arkanoid is also going to use this format now but I'm filling it with a lot of additional things - I've also made the DL about 6k in this one.

• Like 2

I just added:

set romsize 128kRAM
 set dlmemory $4000 $67ff

To Into The Void   v.07.  It looks like it works and I don't get corruption when the player shoots near the scrolling walls.
That code also claims 84 objects per zone. 

I plan to use them wisely.
Hopefully I'll have new rev by next week with more features.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fultonbot said:

I just added:

set romsize 128kRAM
 set dlmemory $4000 $67ff

To Into The Void   v.07.  It looks like it works and I don't get corruption when the player shoots near the scrolling walls.
That code also claims 84 objects per zone. 

I plan to use them wisely.
Hopefully I'll have new rev by next week with more features.

I look forward to the next version !

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 5:51 PM, Trebor said:

Retail Winter Games and Summer Games.

Homebrew Serpentine.

@CPUWIZ Versaboard(s) can handle it easily.

Back in 2013 - 256K ROM and 32K RAM (16K x 2) bankswitched...plus POKEY.

On 7/30/2020 at 6:45 PM, fultonbot said:

Cool.  Do you know how much those cost?

@Albert & @CPUWIZ would likely be best to answer that question. 

It also may be best to PM them for specifics.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, fultonbot said:

Working on another game right now to bruh-up my skills to finish Into The Void.  
This is Number Muncher, inspired by the Number Cruncher variation of Street Racer:

I was so excited before I saw the video as I was 100 percent expecting to see the apple II game Number Munchers.

Neat game you are making there for sure but boy was I bummed out when I saw it wasn't my old public school favorite finally making it to the Atari, and on the 7800 no less.

7 hours ago, Shawn said:

I was so excited before I saw the video as I was 100 percent expecting to see the apple II game Number Munchers.

Neat game you are making there for sure but boy was I bummed out when I saw it wasn't my old public school favorite finally making it to the Atari, and on the 7800 no less.

I noticed the video of that when I posted this.  Sorry to disappoint. 
I might have to change the name.