IGNORED

Atari 7800 Homebrew: Into The Void / Number Crusher

fultonbot

Okay, I changed the name to "Number Crusher" which is actually more in line with what you are doing in the game and to not be confused with the Apple II kid's math game "Number Munchers".  Yeah, I did see that there is a Nickelodeon kid's show named "Number Crushers", but that this point, I'm like "f*ck it, that's the name"
nc3_title.thumb.png.aad92de670e539a2ef01ac5d1ef517e5.png

30 minutes ago, fultonbot said:

Okay, I changed the name to "Number Crusher" which is actually more in line with what you are doing in the game and to not be confused with the Apple II kid's math game "Number Munchers".  Yeah, I did see that there is a Nickelodeon kid's show named "Number Crushers", but that this point, I'm like "f*ck it, that's the name"
nc3_title.thumb.png.aad92de670e539a2ef01ac5d1ef517e5.png

I had an idea about the scoring for this game that I got from Darts. Each player has a set score, say 301, and they have to be the first to bring it down to zero. If his score is down to say 4, the player would need to catch a 3 and a 1, or 2 and another 2 to win. If he hits a 5 or more, he would bust and 10 points would added to his score!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoundGammon said:

I had an idea about the scoring for this game that I got from Darts. Each player has a set score, say 301, and they have to be the first to bring it down to zero. If his score is down to say 4, the player would need to catch a 3 and a 1, or 2 and another 2 to win. If he hits a 5 or more, he would bust and 10 points would added to his score!

I like that actually.   I'll consider it!

• Like 1

Glad you like the idea! Just had another one.  Power-ups!  A 3X number would give the player 3 times the point value of the next number that the player hits. Also, items like an F would freeze the other player from moving for a short time, a -X, X being whatever number that's on it, would be added to the opponents score. 

3 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

Glad you like the idea! Just had another one.  Power-ups!  A 3X number would give the player 3 times the point value of the next number that the player hits. Also, items like an F would freeze the other player from moving for a short time, a -X, X being whatever number that's on it, would be added to the opponents score. 

Yeah, I'm thinking of  +, -, * / as ways to increase amounts, to make your way to zero. Single player will probably be timed, 2-player first to zero.  It might be a fun 2-player head-to-head game. This is cool stuff, thanks!!! Gonna have to remember to give you a design credit on the credits page!

• 3 weeks later...

The game uses bank-switching thanks to help from @RevEng
At first I thought using Bank-switching in a 7800 game would be a “technical” challenge. It’s not because 7800 Basic makes it very easy. It’s actually more of a resource management and code architecture challenge about having the right resource available when you need them.

I’m using the 128KRAM configuration which gives you 8 banks of 16K ROM, and. 16K extra RAM. The16K extra RAM. is used to expand the display list and hold level data loaded from the ROM banks.

Of the 8 ROM banks you have, bank 8 is always available, so cram GFX and code there that you will need across the game. You use the other 7 banks to hold sections of your game, calling across them using goto/gosub [bank].

It’s fascinating challenge to make it all work.

Share this:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

jetingame.thumb.png.b12740c3e4d5de0a4357d7d2783c21d8.png

This is what he Jet looks-like in-game. It's three 48x16 sprites. Not done, but you get the idea. No real slow-down that I can perceive with such large sprites BTW. From what I'm learning, The Atari 7800 MARIA was about numbers of and heights of sprites, not widths.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fultonbot said:

No real slow-down that I can perceive with such large sprites BTW. From what I'm learning, The Atari 7800 MARIA was about numbers of and heights of sprites, not widths.

Yep, you got it. Maria DMA time is proportional to the number of bytes it needs to fetch and process, and a good chunk of those bytes are in the sprite object header. (4 or 5 bytes)

So two puny 8-pixel wide 160A sprites would take as much DMA time as one 36 pixel wide sprite in the same mode. (and the wide sprite would save CPU time, compared to 2 sprites)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RevEng said:

Yep, you got it. Maria DMA time is proportional to the number of bytes it needs to fetch and process, and a good chunk of those bytes are in the sprite object header. (4 or 5 bytes)

So two puny 8-pixel wide 160A sprites would take as much DMA time as one 36 pixel wide sprite in the same mode. (and the wide sprite would save CPU time, compared to 2 sprites)

It really lends it self to making vertical scrolling games I think.  At least, that is what I'm finding. 

I almost have all the objects I need on the screen, and the performance is still good 
I wonder how hard it will be when I return to "Into The Void" and go horizontal gain.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Updated video #3.   
I'm think I'm "over the hump" architecture-wise.

A lot of my temporary code has been refactored into something more sustainable

Levels are now all generated from data stored in a ROM bank.

Temp boss.

Temp sounds.

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 6