IGNORED

5200 Video Upgrade

LaserCat

I recently lucked into a really nice Sony PVM14M2U for only a $100. I really love how my Genny looks via a HD Retrovision cable but all my other systems are composite and are lacking in comparison. Here are my questions:

1. I currently use the composite mod I purchased from AA member Bryan several years ago. Is it possible to extract s-video from the same hardware?

2. When it comes to pre crash systems is s-video "close enough" to rgb or is rgb still worth the trouble?

3. I am aware that there is a RGB mod called Sophia that can extract rgb from the 5200. Is this still available? If so, how can this be purchased?

4. Is there a schematic available that I can provide for "my guy" to help him install Sophia?

5. What cable do I need to connect to a PVM?

If the composite mod you purchased from Bryan is the UAV then that board already has s-video output available on it, provided you wire it to an s-video jack to use it. 

For most of my 80s based systems, I've felt that s-video was plenty for me. I've seen 2600 games through emulation and even on the retron77 and sure they are even more clear, but honestly with as pixel huge as these games are due to their lower resolutions of the day, s-video is again plenty for me in most cases.

The sophia is still available I believe but I think there is a newer version of it being made/developed. I've never installed one or used it, but I think there are some compatibility issues with certain displays not liking it? I could be wrong on that but I want to say that is some of what I've read about it in the past.

So aside from the sophia, the UAV (That is the board that Bryan developed and sold for quite sometime here), there really aren't any other options for better than composite.

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If the composite mod you purchased from Bryan is the UAV then that board already has s-video output available on it, provided you wire it to an s-video jack to use it. 

For most of my 80s based systems, I've felt that s-video was plenty for me. I've seen 2600 games through emulation and even on the retron77 and sure they are even more clear, but honestly with as pixel huge as these games are due to their lower resolutions of the day, s-video is again plenty for me in most cases.

The sophia is still available I believe but I think there is a newer version of it being made/developed. I've never installed one or used it, but I think there are some compatibility issues with certain displays not liking it? I could be wrong on that but I want to say that is some of what I've read about it in the past.

So aside from the sophia, the UAV (That is the board that Bryan developed and sold for quite sometime here), there really aren't any other options for better than composite.

I checked some of my old messages and it appears Bryan sold me the "plug-in" version of his board. Is this s-video compatible?

13 hours ago, LaserCat said:

I checked some of my old messages and it appears Bryan sold me the "plug-in" version of his board. Is this s-video compatible?

Yes. Every UAV has composite, luma and chroma outputs. Composite video is literally a “composite” of chroma+luma modulated into the same signal. S-video is the consumer version of separate chroma and luma signals, each one carried on its own wire. You’ll have to add an S-video jack to your 5200 if you want to wire things up to an S-video display, or you can install two additional RCA jacks to carry the chroma and luma signals if you want to use standard RCA cables and if you have a display that uses separate inputs (such as my C1702 monitor).

13 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

I believe shipping is cheaper if you just order the UAVs directly from TBA's website store vs ebay.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/ultimate-atari-video-uav

Thank you gentlemen. My current mod is malfunctioning so I was ready to take it into service at my LGS so this seemed like an ideal time to inquire about improving PQ. I actually know how to use a soldering iron but I am just not confident enough to attempt the mod myself.

1 hour ago, LaserCat said:

Do I want the DOWN plug-in or the UP plug-in?

The UP plug-in (the standard one). If you use the DOWN plug-in (which I did, by accident), you’ll have to stack sockets to get the UAV terminal block to clear the adjacent IC.

Yes if you want a pre-assembled one, then use the plug up for the 5200. It will work on both variants just fine with plenty of clearance in most cases. The only issue you might have is with the 4050. There is still arguments being made on this, but I've modded quite a few 5200s both 2 port and 4 port by this time, and in all cases, I've kept the 4050 in circuit and didn't have to do anything else on the 5200 other than plug in the UAV. 

The way I've been doing the last few that I feel is actually the easiest, is to solder the socket you plug the UAV into, ontop of the 4050 itself. If the 4050 is socketed, then just pull it out, solder the new socket to the top of it, and then plug it back into it original socket. Then plug the UAV into the new socket. If the 4050 is soldered into the main PCB as the last few I've done were including the last two 4-port units I did. Then I just solder the socket ontop of the 4050 while it is still on the mainboard and go from there. Make sure to solder all of the socket pins to the 4050 pins. This way, you not only know that all of the required pin connections are in place, but are adding more mechanical strength and stability to the entire mod this way.