IGNORED

old mac games

I got a macally batwing few days ago.  Now need to test with a few games.  There was a game similar to arkanoid on my mac se 30 years ago.  I cannot remember the  name.  There was mac brickout in 1993 but that was way after and only works on system 7.  So it must of bee n another game cant remeber the name.  I have system 6.

Thanks.  Found a copy on macintosh garden.  But had disk errors.  Things would not copy to the hd.  Got a bomb error.  Now my SE FDHD yes black and white does not boot.  Will be a few days before I can try arkanoid.  Hopefully the microsoft flight simulator mac version I got has the system and finder and boots.

The system 7 disk images and SEA archives were freely distributable from apple BITD.

If you have a legit mac, you have a license to use the software, IIRC.  Unless you have a specific need for system 6, I would recommend moving to system 7, as most games that ran on 68k based classic macs expected 7.  (Technically, 8 is the last classic macos that could run on 68k macs, but unless that mac is high end, I would stick with system 7.)

Macintosh Garden has the sets available it seems.

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/system-7-floppy-sets

If you do not have a functioning mac, it is possible to write these on a PC with floppy drives, using a combination of HFV explorer and Basilisk II.

16 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

The system 7 disk images and SEA archives were freely distributable from apple BITD.

If you have a legit mac, you have a license to use the software, IIRC.  Unless you have a specific need for system 6, I would recommend moving to system 7, as most games that ran on 68k based classic macs expected 7.  (Technically, 8 is the last classic macos that could run on 68k macs, but unless that mac is high end, I would stick with system 7.)

Macintosh Garden has the sets available it seems.

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/system-7-floppy-sets

If you do not have a functioning mac, it is possible to write these on a PC with floppy drives, using a combination of HFV explorer and Basilisk II.

Thanks.  SE FDHD goes upto 7.5.5 and I upgraded to 4 mb ram.  But its only 20mb hd so might not work.

I  have an old iboik g3 and g4.  Cheap from ebay also.  Using the g3.  Have os9 and 10.2.4 and 10.3 installed.  Separate partitions.  I got a cheap usb floppy long time ago I forget where.  

I copied system 6 from my hd on the SE before it stopped working to the g3.  After the SE stopped working I copied the system and finder back to a folder lable system folder.  The SE spits out the disk.  Not working.  I hope the floppy drive did not break.  When I get a new boot disk I will know for sure.

PC Drives and controllers (legit ones, dunno about USB drives) can produce MAC formatted diskettes (1.44mb flavor) from disk image files. That is where HFV explorer comes in handy. (It can write the disk images to real media).

Basilisk II is useful for producing the needed disk images, especially if they have been packaged with stuffit, like those ones seem to have been. (.sit archives).

Edited by wierd_w

No luck so far nothing is working.  Found another site trying mow.

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/

Or a cheap floppy labled

Powerbook 145b Disk Tools

is on ebay for 5 bucks.  But not sure if all disk tools had a system folder or some had just programs.  Seller is not responding to messages.

But powerboik 145b came with system 7.1 so that will boot.

39 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

Do you want me to generate some .img files for the 7.5.5 set? They should be direct writable with something like win32diskimager

Does your classic mac SE have a CDrom drive, or are you limited to using something like DiskTools diskette's system folder?

No cd.  I can use external zip or something.  But we got rid almost everything from back then.  And Ebay is super expensive.  So floppy for now.  Imgs are not opening on my iBook g3.  -54 error.  Tried disk copy.  Have stuffit also.  I have a 2014 Mac mini also and a windows 10 touch screen laptop by HP with 1tb hd and 6gb of ram.

I will keep trying.  But if I could buy a cheap backup disk of Ebay that would be the best.  I will try the disk tools I guess.  But not sure if all disks had a system folder.  Once SE FDHD had a hard drive there was no need probably.  So not all disks had a system folder.

I got a Microsoft flight simulator for Mac 1986.  Hopefully that has a system folder.  Its still in transit 10 days but should be here soon.

OK. First up.

7.1 disk images, which are raw hfv files. They should be directly writable with hfv explorer, or with win32diskimager

Printing.dskInstallMeFirst.dskInstall.dskInstall 2.dskFonts.dskDisk Tools.dskTidbits.dskQuickTime 1.5.dsk

I will create 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 set images from the disk mounter images tomorrow. (I HAVE to sleep now.)

I successfully installed 7.1 into a freshly minted generic hfv container inside basilisk II using these images. The base blank images for these disks were created with hfv explorer.  HFV explorer will DEFINITELY write these to real diskettes.

22 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

OK. First up.

7.1 disk images, which are raw hfv files. They should be directly writable with hfv explorer, or with win32diskimager

Printing.dsk 1.41 MB · 1 download InstallMeFirst.dsk 1.41 MB · 1 download Install.dsk 1.41 MB · 1 download Install 2.dsk 1.41 MB · 1 download Fonts.dsk 1.41 MB · 1 download Disk Tools.dsk 1.41 MB · 1 download Tidbits.dsk 1.41 MB · 1 download QuickTime 1.5.dsk 1.41 MB · 1 download

I will create 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 set images from the disk mounter images tomorrow. (I HAVE to sleep now.)

I successfully installed 7.1 into a freshly minted generic hfv container inside basilisk II using these images. The base blank images for these disks were created with hfv explorer.  HFV explorer will DEFINITELY write these to real diskettes.

Mega thanks dude that worked.  But the SE is still spitting out the disk. Maybe a bad floppy drive or disk.  Hope its not the drive.

I opened the disk in os9 on my iBook g3.  I opened the folder and closed it so it showed the system folder icon and then it worked so not bad.  It did not spit out so at least the floppy drive is good.  But it did give an error saying this machine is not caomptible 7.1 try a newer disk.  I will try the others tomorrow and see.  Having company tonight so I will call it and day and see tomorrow.

https://mvvg.blogspot.com/2020/07/mac-se-71-message.html

I bought a copy of Ontrack Disk Manager 2.23 for mac from ebay for 4 bucks.  Its weird the images weird_w posted here work.  But everything I downloaded does not.  I mean it does not boot but it at least makes a system folder in OS9 on my ibook g3.  The blank folder changes to a smiley face system folder.  When I replace the system and finder with ones from the internet the smiley face disappears.  Macintosh garden has ontrack images also.  And sam antivirus.  Both hae system folders.  But when coppied to the floppy there is no happy mac face.  Just a plain folder.

Maybe the disk will help. 

Edited by 0078265317

Those drives are a pain sometimes. And delicate if you try surgery. Have you tried booting from the HD with Shift held down? That turns off extensions and might boot if there's an issue with something your game install went awry.

I have some old boot floppies. I'd have to drag out an SE to verify they'll still read. Seems I kept all my old Mac stuff as I moved up the ladder. Between Wierd and myself we oughta be able to feed your SE somethin' it'll digest and not regurgitate! :woozy: (Where's the :puke: icon??)

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Dunno what to say.

I just totally tested those images straight up as boot media for basilisk II, and installed fresh and clean 7.1 with them. (shrug)

Which disk are you trying to boot from?  I have the best luck booting from the Disk Tools disks in the disk sets. Hyper-minimal, but servicable system volume on those. Suitable for launching the installer.

You know.. I am going to satisfy a thing that is itching in the back of my mind.

While the disk image containers spat out by hfv explorer SHOULD have all the magic bits set right, it is entirely possible that it is outputting and HFV structure that is meant for a hard disk and not a floppy. (Comparison from PC world, creating fat16 file structure instead of Fat12, and with MBR containing partition table, instead of floppy style one.)  I have noticed that DiskCopy has options to convert disk images backed inside it, and has a native support for raw floppy image without any embellishment. (that is what disk 6 in the 7.5.0 set above was made using, because finder refused to cooperate with my normal methods, insisting the disk was full on copy operation). I will do a one-off on the disk tools disk, which should be bootable, and do it the DiskCopy way(tm).

Try writing THAT to a floppy, and see if your picky little eater will hold down its lunch.

Here-- Here is the "DiskCopy Way(tm)" convert for 7.5.0 disktools.

Disk Tools.img

See if that will boot.