IGNORED

old mac games

25 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

You know.. I am going to satisfy a thing that is itching in the back of my mind.

While the disk image containers spat out by hfv explorer SHOULD have all the magic bits set right, it is entirely possible that it is outputting and HFV structure that is meant for a hard disk and not a floppy. (Comparison from PC world, creating fat16 file structure instead of Fat12, and with MBR containing partition table, instead of floppy style one.)  I have noticed that DiskCopy has options to convert disk images backed inside it, and has a native support for raw floppy image without any embellishment. (that is what disk 6 in the 7.5.0 set above was made using, because finder refused to cooperate with my normal methods, insisting the disk was full on copy operation). I will do a one-off on the disk tools disk, which should be bootable, and do it the DiskCopy way(tm).

Try writing THAT to a floppy, and see if your picky little eater will hold down its lunch.

Here-- Here is the "DiskCopy Way(tm)" convert for 7.5.0 disktools.

Disk Tools.img 1.41 MB · 1 download

See if that will boot.

Nice.  The problem is my usb floppy is acting up.  It loads on my G3 ibook but not my mac mini or pc.  Sometimes it does and sometimes it does't.  Might have to get a new one.  I can load the files directly on my ibook g3 snow.  But wifi does not work.  Only ethernet.  So not bad.  But https: websites do not load.  If I goto google it loads if I remove the S.  But atariage does not load.  It says https://www.  If I remove the S is goes back to https://www.  No way to load the atariage website so no way to download the files.

I will keep trying and see maybe I will get lucky.

@0078265317

Hmmm.....

This is dubious as hell... But I can try to self-host this. Just do not expect blazing fast speeds out of my antediluvian ADSL upstream (with its AMAZING!(tm) 720kbit upload bandwidth.)

At least the file is small.  Give me a few minutes to set up lighttpd with a custom port number. (For posterity, this link is temporary, and only intended to survive for like a day or two. If this post becomes old, expect this link to be dead.)

(and no more off my own systems now that need no longer exists.)

Edited by wierd_w

The last image you posted has a cd icon and does not work on my pc.  Says corrupted.  But the other 7.5 disk tools image .dsk you posted works great.  It looked as it was stuck on the welcome logo.  I turned it off and back on.  It booted finally got a desktop.  Mega thanks.

It was super slow but booted.  About 5 minutes.  On bootup it says need to initalize macintosh hd.  I hope I did not break the internal HD.  Hate to reformat it.  But floppy is not busted at least. 

Sweetness. That gets your foot in the door at least. 

At the very least, you can format the HD and copy the system folder from that diskette onto it.  That will get your foot into the door to install a proper base system.

The full 7.5.3 disk set is... Enormous though.  Thats a LOT of disk images to wrangle.  Are you SURE you can't figure out a way to get a SEA archive for the net install version somehow ported over to your scsi disk?

(fun fact-- At least as far back as windows 2000, Windows had support for serving as an AppleShare domain server over ethernet, baked right in. Let me see if I can find anything more recent.)

Edited by wierd_w

I ran first aid.  Verify first.  It said problems found.  Then repair.  It said cannot be repaired.  Then I quit and the HD appeared.  Now it loads boots off the HD.  

So I will format and be back to normal.  Now maybe if I goto goodwill I will get lucky and find some used floppies.

I need a way to get all the data off and then reformat.  SCSI is too expensive.

whoo, that's small.

I have an old blade server with scsi disks in it, but they are muuuuuuuuch newer.  (and those classic macs were pissy about scsi ID strings, as I recall.)

I would suggest going the SD->SCSI adapter route.

and

Edited by wierd_w

Something really weird happened.  I used the floppy.  1 disk was all that was needed.  Copied everything off and onto g3 ibook.  I then used the 7.5 image from here.  I put system and finder 6 from the SE.  And first aid plus hd sc setup from the 7.5 image.  I restarted and booted from the floppy.  I ran first aid.  Problems found.  I initalized the internal hard drive.  Gave error cannot be replaced.  I tried from first aid and from finder,  Neither worked.  HD SC Setup did not work either.  options greyed out after it failed.  Then the HD icon disappeared.  I thought it was dead.  I restarted and it showed again.  And boots from internal now.  But cannot format it.  I would like to clean format and reinstall.  But I cannot how odd.

Sounds like you replaced the 7.5 system on the floppy with your old system 6? If so, chances are system 6 won't play well with utilities designed for 7.5. Maybe they can, but this doesn't seem the time to do compatibility tests. Usually you'll get an alert box saying a newer system is needed or something, but it's been many years since I was using these old systems and playing mix & match.

Another thought, if that moved/copied system 6 is the one that wouldn't boot your SE which started this whole adventure, it may be corrupted in some way. I would've gone ahead with straight 7.5 as provided to you and done whatever you plan to do with the hard drive, i.e. repair/reformat... Then revert back to system 6 as a fresh install, if that's your preferred system.

Or just get a system 6 install set of floppies and skip 7.5 altogether.

1 hour ago, Ed in SoDak said:

Sounds like you replaced the 7.5 system on the floppy with your old system 6? If so, chances are system 6 won't play well with utilities designed for 7.5. Maybe they can, but this doesn't seem the time to do compatibility tests. Usually you'll get an alert box saying a newer system is needed or something, but it's been many years since I was using these old systems and playing mix & match.

Another thought, if that moved/copied system 6 is the one that wouldn't boot your SE which started this whole adventure, it may be corrupted in some way. I would've gone ahead with straight 7.5 as provided to you and done whatever you plan to do with the hard drive, i.e. repair/reformat... Then revert back to system 6 as a fresh install, if that's your preferred system.

Or just get a system 6 install set of floppies and skip 7.5 altogether.

But from within system 6 finder its not erasing either when boot from floppy,  I will try the 7.5 again tomorrow.  But its super slow.  Or maybe ontrack will help when it arrives.

You cannot format the boot volume.  That is probably the issue.

you will HAVE to boot from the disktools disk to do that.

EDIT;

Concerning the "Disk 6" from system 7.5.0 set:

Since it was done the "DiskCopy Way(tm)", I am pretty sure it is bogus and wont load properly.  I had time to sleep and think about the problem.  I have sidestepped Finder completely, and created a disk image MyWay!(tm), that has the install tome file on it and has a proper volume name, of the appropriate size.

It should work, where the prior one probably wont. Here it is, just for completeness.  I used HVFExplorer to do the copy operation instead of Finder, because Finder insisted that more space was needed on the diskette image than was available to do the copy. Not sure why, but it was persistent. HFVExplorer copied it just fine.

install 6.dsk

Edited by wierd_w

8 hours ago, wierd_w said:

You cannot format the boot volume.  That is probably the issue.

you will HAVE to boot from the disktools disk to do that.

EDIT;

Concerning the "Disk 6" from system 7.5.0 set:

Since it was done the "DiskCopy Way(tm)", I am pretty sure it is bogus and wont load properly.  I had time to sleep and think about the problem.  I have sidestepped Finder completely, and created a disk image MyWay!(tm), that has the install tome file on it and has a proper volume name, of the appropriate size.

It should work, where the prior one probably wont. Here it is, just for completeness.  I used HVFExplorer to do the copy operation instead of Finder, because Finder insisted that more space was needed on the diskette image than was available to do the copy. Not sure why, but it was persistent. HFVExplorer copied it just fine.

install 6.dsk 1.41 MB · 0 downloads

As I said I was booting from the floppy.  I know I cannot erase the hd if I boot from it.  Still even from the floppy no luck.

Edited by 0078265317

I booted from the same 7.5 disk tools that got my foot in the door last time.  And I initalized and partitioned the internal drive from apple sc hd setup.   No luck just gives me errors.  Now the HD icon disappeared.  Upon restart it boots the floppy disk tools 7.5.  But the HD icon still gone.  Apple SC HD setup still shows scsi zero but says no visable partitions or something like that.

That scsi drive is clearly acting wonky..

I should look to see what manner of scsi drives are in that old blade server. (They are totally unloved by me, I have nothing that needs scsi, and that blade server is basically a giant doorstop.)

Pulled one--

I have 8 identical drives in that old blade server. They were working last time I powered it on. They are 72.8gb each, SCSI ultra-wide (u320) 15000RPM.

You would need an adapter, but such things DO actually exist.

Edited by wierd_w

I will see later.  But at least it boots from floppy.  Its not worth much so I won't spend a ton.  I will find an external solution if I can.  Maybe this but not sure if there is a driver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CasaBlanca-external-5-25-SCSI-hard-drive-case-Macintosh-no-drive-incl/224083268991?hash=item342c67557f:g:bLkAAOSw88tfEL7E

My, prices on used SCSI drives are as high as when I was buying them in the '90s. In a quick look here, I found an SE-width external case with a drive installed, don't recall what's on it or size. Also a bare drive 1/2 height 3.5" 233 meg with files and a full-height 433 meg with system 7.6 installed and files. I'd part with whatever for a lot less than the typical $100 off ebay. I need to verify working or not, they all "should" be fine. Famous Last Words. ;)

I also have full sets of 6, 7, etc. install floppies in the archives.

Maybe something like this SCSI to SD card converter? Make it super simple to get files off the internet and skip the whole floppy transfer ordeal. SCSI2SD V5.5 Pocket Edition https://ebay.us/J41UFpSCSI2SD V5.5 Pocket Edition https://ebay.us/J41UFp

-Ed

10 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

I bravely opened her up...

Atta Boy! Looks pretty clean inside. Is that a full-height drive? Mine is ~1 5/8" high, while the half-height is ~1". It might take some prying out on each side of the power connector to rock it out. They can seat really hard. At this point a "new" drive would be a pretty easy job, but may require some effort accessing the cage to remove the screws. The only computer I ever blew with a static charge was the main board on one of my SEs, so be careful about that!

I'll try to test out my drives later today.