IGNORED

old mac games

• 3 weeks later...

I got a used quantum scsi 500mb 50 pin hard drive off ebay for 5 bucks plus 12 something shipping.  Also got 7.0 install floppy disks off ebay.

Couple questions.

What is the most MB system 7 can handle.  Will I be able to use all 500 at once.  Or will I have to partition.

And someday if I sell it.  Is it worth more if I keep the original 20mb inside even if its not working. 

Or it does not matter.  Because I upgraded to 4mb ram and its not even original.  And it works but its not mint so if the 500 works and I replace it might get more. 

Or stock original everything is worth more.  Since its been opened before probably does not matter.  Maybe if it was all original mint never opened or uppraded.  But its not.

8 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

HFS tops out at ~1gb, IIRC.

HFS+ can do much bigger. 

You should be able to do that whole 500mb drive as one volume.

I would still see if dropping some singer A1 oil on the head actuator step motor of the internal 20mb fixes its zombie status.

But its only 20mb which is useless.  Unless you are saying the original internal is valuable.  There was another miniscribe 20 on ebay for 35 bucks.  So not worth much.  Or if the 500 works I can mail the 20mb to you no charge and you can try fixing it.  If broken then just trash it.  Not worth it.

I dont have any scsi requiring retro systems though...

As for being useless, I would disagree!  Just get an appropriate external housing, then swap out the drives. (Put 20mb in the external housing, put 500mb internal), load up the 20mb with a collection of SMI images for various old mac systems, and make it bootable.

Use it as a rescue/install media platform.

1 hour ago, wierd_w said:

I dont have any scsi requiring retro systems though...

As for being useless, I would disagree!  Just get an appropriate external housing, then swap out the drives. (Put 20mb in the external housing, put 500mb internal), load up the 20mb with a collection of SMI images for various old mac systems, and make it bootable.

Use it as a rescue/install media platform.

Assuming its fixable.  Might not be.  And last time the ebay guy used the 500mb it worked.  But sitting in a desk drawer for 20 to 27 years might not fire up either.  But worth a shot since the cheapest 500mb was 75 dollars.  Even a 20mb was 35.  And a 230mb was 50 plus 20 shipping.   So 17.55 plus tax worth a shot.

2 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

Given the behavior of the drive (20mb), i would say it is either a faulty terminator resistor pack, OR, its stepper motor is not actuating well.

The latter is more likely the culprit, and easily investigated with 2 to 3 drops of quality machine oil.

Yea probably.  One of the format third party tools I tried said its not writing well.  So might be the motor.

Also good news I found working copies mac paint on macintosh repository and flight sim 1.02 on macintosh garden.  made the disk image in diskdup I think it was.  Copy does not work.  Have to make the image in diskdup.  Its 800k not 400 disk it makes but 400k of files only how odd.   But boots up and works.  Has to boot from internal floppy but works no error.

1 hour ago, wierd_w said:

SCSI ID is called LUN, Logical Unit Number.  It's the jargon term.

If the enclosure is handling the ID, then I would make sure the drive itself is declaring itself as unit 0.

What model number is this drive? I will see if I can find it in the tularc documentation.

I got another problem.  SE is on last lims I  think.  It shut off in the middle of using it.  maybe too much plugged.  5 things.  Mouse, keyboard, tablet artpad 2, macally batwing joystick, and bernoulli external scsi tape 90.

I had done this fews days ago no problem.  Today after unplugging everything and just the SE it boots up.  The outlet strip went bad.  Now I connect just the external bernoulii, keyboard and mouse.  The bernoulli boots up.  But the mouse and keyboard are not responding.  Even with a boot floppy and no external tape drive no keyboard or mouse working.  I fried the adb ports maybe.