IGNORED

Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?

Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?

• Yes, both the PS5 and the XSX have impressed me
    • Yes, the PS5 has impressed me
    • Yes, the XSX has impressed me
    • No, none of them have impresed me

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

After both Sony and Microsoft have shown some games, it looks like we're heading to a slow start of the next generation: the graphics are not too impressive and the videos appear to show more trailers than gameplay, which seems to be more of the same when shown.

Sony appears to have shown slightly better graphics and seems to have more ideas, including the new elements in the controller, but it all seems a bit forced, miles away from the revolutions that were PS1 and PS2 (even if PS2 clearly over-hyped its capabilities, but I kind of miss that hype too).

I'm not impressed by any of the new consoles so far... are you?

I have a PC, so no. I have no need for either of these systems unless something really interesting happens, like Kojima making a new exclusive game for one or the other, for example, or a hypothetical Shin Megami Tensei VI. Still, I have been considering getting an original Xbox to play all of the Sega games that they made for it after the Dreamcast died, so if the new Xbox has 100% support for the original Xbox, I may consider it instead of the original system.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
grammar

Meh. I haven't been impressed by a launch console since I was a kid.  I also have a PC, and Gamepass Ultimate, so the cool looking MS games are available to me without a Series X.  And I know I'll get a PS5 eventually in order to play the far-in-the-future Spider-Man 2 and Last of Us 3 games, but it'll be a cheap 2nd hand one, or whatever the new upgraded version is (hopefully black and less goofy looking).

• Like 1

I wish I could say yes, but the PS5 just seems like more of the same (and I don't follow Xbox at all).  The Ratchet & Clank preview that was shown looks fun, but didn't look like something that can't be done on PS4.  We are going to eventually see some games that will fully utilize the power and features of the PS5, but those will take years just like Last of Us 2 did on PS4.

In the meantime, customers will get re-milked with a slew of re-issues like GTA5 (c'mon Rockstar, again?!  Make a new game already!) and other "Definitive Editions" just like we saw with PS4's launch.  Since it has a physical drive, we will see companies like Limited Run Games continue to milk people week after week by pumping out mediocre games to disc, most of which will look and play like PS4 games and which will have no real reason to physically exist except to continue their revenue stream.

I have friends that will be buying a PS5 at launch but I'm in no hurry myself.

I said no, mainly because it looks like the majority of the Xbox next-gen titles won't be released until late 2021 and beyond. There looks to be little or nothing notable to be released in the near-term except for Halo: Grappling Hook Edition and Dragon Quest SSX and you can play those on the current hardware.

Consoles were optimized in the current generation. I can't say, graphically, speaking, the games look any better than an Xbox One X game or a PC game (This coming from a console fanboy btw). But games aren't good just because of their graphics, so who knows? 

Both are more powerful than my PC,  so they are impressive, especially for the price they are shooting for.   I've calculated that an equivalent PC would cost well over $1000, at least as of a couple months ago.

Now the games...  not so much,  only looking forward to Demon's Souls out of what has been shown so far.

• Like 1

Yes and No? I voted no but what's impressive to me is for the first time all the new hardware is coming to console first and PC second (ex. AMD navi). Xbox One was the first console to be based on existing PC architecture….now the new stuff coming out is showing up on Xbox series X and probably PS5 first.

You can build an ‘equivalent’ PC machine but not really because of the proprietary stuff being put in the consoles. I think the new consoles are 8 core 16 thread AMD Zen 2, (which is an AMD 3700x), you won't find a matching graphics card 'cause it doesn't really exist (yet). Like someone said above it's going to cost like over $1000 so I don't know how they're going to sell these for $500. Color me impressed.

So does it impress me yes but overall no, because the games are where it's all at and you can play the majority of them on PC except for the handful of exclusives playstation has (Spiderman , Uncharted , Last of Us , God of War etc). I predict the Demon Souls remake will one day come out on PC (bluepoint is independent) but that's hard to tell Sony is very guarded with souls games it seems. So they may have something written up that prevents that from happening at least for a period of time. They could also own the demon souls name I don't know.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

The last really impressive launch for me, both in terms of tech and games, was the PSP. I feel like I've just gone through the motions with everything else since then: I buy the new console (and fewer than ten games for it)  and then use the unit as a streaming device. I'll likely do the same in about two years with the PS5 so that I can get the new Astrobot game for the kids.

• Like 1

I'm a bit "meh" on either side at the moment. Demon's Souls is the only thing that's interesting me on the PS5 side, and Halo Infinite is what I'm after on the Xbox side, though unlike last gen I have a current PC and can run it on that (looks like it's set for a Steam release).

Graphically it's hard to be impressed because I don't have the capability of seeing these games at their intended 4K resolutions (the highest resolution screen I have is 1080p still). I'm sure they look incredible at that.

• Like 1

I am impressed with the PS5.   It has the horsepower to produce high resolution games at a great frame rate, which is always welcome. But if I understand things, its  design and SSD are going to eliminate  lengthy load times and allow more variation of graphics in levels. That sounds pretty cool. I watched the trailer for Horizon forbidden West, and it looks sweet. I can't wait to see what the accomplish with Spider-Man 2! 

That being said, I will certainly not be an early adopter. Maybe in two or three years I'll pick one up.

I've decided on the Xbox platform for being a handy box that handles UHD movies and legacy Xbox games, with some modern ones thrown in as a bonus.  I admit that I'm eating my words after swearing off Xbox forever, following the disaster that was the launch.

If the XSX continues to offer everything above, then I'll make it an option the next time I need a UHD player.  But no, it hasn't "impressed" me.  I'm not wowed by what it can do.  I'd also be happy to just buy cheap 1S models as long as I can.

36 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

Hey @Cafeman and @Punisher5.0... You're both excited for the PS5, but the poll stills shows only 1 vote for that option (which was there before your comments).

So... vote! The unimpressed option is winning by far more votes than expected and the other options need help. ?

I voted for PS5 yesterday

• Thanks 1

I've never been a Halo or Xbox fan and I find the new Halo memes hilarious (1, 2, 3), but at the same time I feel out of place when even Xbox fans are nitpicking on Halo Infinite's graphics.

I feel like I'm in an alternative reality when people look at some HD 3D environments that look pretty much realistic and have no fog or popping and complain that "the light is not reflecting as it should" or "the expression on the face is not human enough".

But then again, I'm still impressed with the first Dreamcast games that were shown, so I'm not exactly an expert in this field.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 2

Both don't impress me in a way I would be buying them on release. However Sony seems to have really thought of things. Created some clever solutions and implemented their own ideas into the RDNA2 chipset. Also they worked on the controller that might enhance the game experience. They're trying to bring something new to console playing. They showed some actual games, not really the ones that want me to go out and get one immediately, but Rachet and Clank has some nice raytracing effects and loads going on on screen.  MS is, apart from a few bits, is mostly a really powerful (GPU) PC in a small box and a lot of shouting how they're superior but haven't showed anything and seem to want people getting on their gamepass service above anything else. Their show was no good at all because of showing Halo in that state. Then later stating it was a very old built on PC, blaming covid and what not. (probably all not true at all) It made me think of what Atari did to the Jag. Lot's of hot air and mostly disappointments. 

I'm sure both can deliver some good games with nice gfx etc, but so far the total package of  PS5 has been more impressing. So it is on the wishlist for whenever the price drops to a point around the current prices of the PS4.

Neither will get my money at launch this time around but I do see the PS5 as being the more appealing machine by way of specs and rumored lower price tag. As for the new console shell design and overall size of the PS5? It looks like shit. Not as bland as the "pc mini-tower" looking new Xbox kinda ugly, but pretty damn bad. I'm gonna be good with the PS4 for a long time to come from what I see so far.

I have been more impressed with the XSX than the PS5, but still both are impressing to some degree.  However, both really haven't blown my socks off game wise, and if I had to go out a get a system in the Fall, I would probably get a Switch over these two just because the Switch has more games that I legitimately want to buy and play.  Still, I do understand that it is time for consoles to move on to a new generation, but I really don't see a major step up from what the Xbox One or PS4 are doing for the most part.

I was initially very impressed with the XSX after following the Digital foundry Youtube page since they started covering it early this year. The design of the XSX is what impressed me the most. It looks like a very powerful piece of kit with excellent cooling and TFLOP power. Although very technically impressive I don’t have a need for one at this point. As others have mentioned I don’t have any 4k capable tvs in my home. I still really enjoy my Panasonic 60 inch 1080p plasma. My kids are still very young and mostly play Wii U games with me, and the occasional 2600 game Ofcourse. I look forward to seeing how well it supports Ray Tracing over the next few years. I’ll probably pick one up once theirs a price cut 3 or 4 years in.

• Like 1

I  wonder what the new machines do when they detect 1080P. Will they use the free CPU/GPU time to up the frame rate, throw around some more triangles and particles and whatever they have. Or will the system kick back and chill. Like many I don't have a 4K tv and don't see myself changing the thing in the coming few years.

I  wonder what the new machines do when they detect 1080P. Will they use the free CPU/GPU time to up the frame rate, throw around some more triangles and particles and whatever they have. Or will the system kick back and chill. Like many I don't have a 4K tv and don't see myself changing the thing in the coming few years.

From the Digital foundry videos I’ve watched it’s been mentioned numerous times that if you use lower resolutions like 1440p/1080p then you should be able to play many games at 120fps/120hz. Ofcourse the dev would have to enable that option, and your display needs to support it. Many plasma and CRT displays support higher refresh rates. Some newer LCD displays that cost buckets of money support 1440p and 4k at 120hz and higher.
  • Like 2

I did find the XSX impressive from the hardware prespective, so that's why I gave a vote to the underdog option....  And at least I can still play my existing games if I do upgrade instead of having yet another Nintendo branded doorstop.

But gamewise, there's nothing that makes me want to spend lots of money right now.  I hardly have any time or cash to play the latest AAA games so my time on my Xbox is either for streaming or playing short arcade type games (thank goodness for Game Pass so I can at least sample what's out there).

Not to mention I'm still on a 1080p display and also I want to upgrade my PC setup first.