IGNORED

Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?

Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?

• Yes, both the PS5 and the XSX have impressed me
    • Yes, the PS5 has impressed me
    • Yes, the XSX has impressed me
    • No, none of them have impresed me

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Impressed is a bit much, but I like what I saw from both company.

I presently own an Xbox One X so I'm in no hurry to get the XSX and since it's fully backward compatible, all of my games will follow.

I may get a PS4 Pro on the cheap when the PS5 lands, but I don't see myself buying a PS5 for the first year or two of its launch. Experience with Sony and limited launch title quality/quantity, combined with contradictory information about backward compatibility means I'm in no hurry.

On July 28, 2020 at 9:03 PM, Shawn said:

Neither will get my money at launch this time around but I do see the PS5 as being the more appealing machine by way of specs and rumored lower price tag. As for the new console shell design and overall size of the PS5? It looks like shit. Not as bland as the "pc mini-tower" looking new Xbox kinda ugly, but pretty damn bad. I'm gonna be good with the PS4 for a long time to come from what I see so far.

The PS5 is taller than the XSX.

At this point I had to sheep along with the majority saying neither, but if I had to pick the lesser of two evils the PS5 may have some potential.  MS though, let's face it, they don't care really as they also control a larger space on PCs and like to convert their controlled IP to it as well so it kind of negates giving a damn about the console. ;)  I imagine if someone were to just upgrade their PC every 5-6 years you could be just fine never owning either again unless you were just in love with Sony's own stuff.

I voted "neither."  I think it is overstating it to say that Microsoft doesn't give a damn about the console, but it is true that they are favoring trying to gain customers over console sales.  Honestly, I think this generation is going to be GamePass vs Playstation (and kinda vs. Nintendo, Amazon, Facebook, and Google) as opposed to Xbox vs Playstation.

I never thought it would happen to me, but I'm sold on GamePass Ultimate.  They got me.  I used to do all kinds of comparisons for games on Steam and Gamestop etc, and I love me some physical games.  Now I kinda just wait for the games to come to GamePass and make the occasional Humble Bundle purchase with a very rare physical purchase mixed in.  It feels like it will be multiple years before a game comes out that I actually want to play, for which I won't have a device to play it.

Angry Joe kinda laid it all out on Youtube recently:

On 7/24/2020 at 1:35 PM, glazball said:

In the meantime, customers will get re-milked with a slew of re-issues like GTA5 (c'mon Rockstar, again?!  Make a new game already!)

Well there's Red Dead Redemption 2 which is the highest rated game of this entire generation.

It's also on GamePass . . .

I’m not sold on the Gamepass idea. $15 a month forever so I can enjoy the few games I like. There’s usually only 2-3 games a year I’m interested in playing on new platforms. Maybe that numbers going to skyrocket in the future? I’d like to own my games just in case they disappear from game pass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I’m not sold on the Gamepass idea. $15 a month forever so I can enjoy the few games I like. There’s usually only 2-3 games a year I’m interested in playing on new platforms. Maybe that numbers going to skyrocket in the future? I’d like to own my games just in case they disappear from game pass.

I hear ya.  That was me too.  Now I tend to ask myself when shopping for games "Do I need a forever copy of XYZ game?"  Turns out I usually don't. 

I think you can pay like $180 at once for the whole year too, but I got it by upgrading my 2 year Gold subscription to GamePass Ultimate for $1.  I think you can still do this, if you go to upgrade to GamePass it says the first month is $1 but really it upgrades you for the entire remainder of your Gold subscription.  You can of course just go buy a 1 year Gold card for $50 and then you'd have GamePass for 12 months for only $51.  Since COVID, multiple family members have purchased XBox Ones, and gotten this deal.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/CFQ7TTC0KHS0/000F?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=oelFIBIMgTk&ranSiteID=oelFIBIMgTk-8jwtzRQ9_8YTACfIEj9Afg&epi=oelFIBIMgTk-8jwtzRQ9_8YTACfIEj9Afg&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__gz0ifd196okft2292jy9q0nuau2xijqgg6xxrdux00)(7593)(1243925)(oelFIBIMgTk-8jwtzRQ9_8YTACfIEj9Afg)()&irclickid=_gz0ifd196okft2292jy9q0nuau2xijqgg6xxrdux00&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

13 hours ago, adamchevy said:

Same,  I buy maybe one full price $60 game a year, several at a discount,  they aren't all on the same service.

I also noticed that if I shelled out money for a game, I'm more likely to actually play it and finish it than if it's made available in my library for download

But I think the really insidious thing about these subscription services is they get paid whether they are producing quality new content or not.  I prefer to live in a world where studios have to work to earn my money,  so I won't be signing up for any of these services anytime soon.

• Like 3

I usually buy a $60 game like once every NEVER.  I made a rule years ago that I can't buy a game for more than $25 because I never play it until it is that cheap anyway.  The way they got me was with the $1 upgrade.  Then as I used Gamepass, I realized that it was eliminating Steam purchases for me.  I keep a running list of stuff that comes to Steam first and wait for it to go on sale.  This isn't usually AAA stuff, just like Undertale, Bloodstained, and other stuff like that.  Well, Gamepass started to add a bunch of things that were on that list.  So now, they've got some stuff I want that is AAA, and some stuff I want that is lower tier.  Plus the other games I already own (which is a lot).  Basically it gives me access to more games than I can possibly play, and while the selection doesn't quite hit everything I want, I was surprised about how good it really is.  With the $1 upgrade offer, it is definitely saving me some money and has stopped some rando digital purchases.  At $15 a month, I agree that it could be a bit of a stretch.  For someone who buys multiple new AAA games a year it is absolutely a good deal to buy it a year at a time.  $180 is 3 AAA games.

Oh and then there's the whole - "you get it on PC too" thing that is especially nice for those lower tier games.

17 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I usually buy a $60 game like once every NEVER.  I made a rule years ago that I can't buy a game for more than $25 because I never play it until it is that cheap anyway. 

I only pay $60 if it's a game I've been waiting for and know I will start playing that day.   I think the last game I payed $60 for was Horizon Zero Dawn a couple years ago.   Other than that I wait for sales.  

• Like 1

Game Pass is a good investment if you live off modern gaming. So many big-budget "AAA" games are made available on it the day they are released. Most of us here however still focus a lot of our energy on retro stuff, so of course we're not going to be as enticed. There are quite a lot of good modern-retro indie offerings on the service though.

If my gaming habits were different, I would sign up for the service just like I subscribe to Netflix for movies. I just don't play enough on modern systems to justify the cost, so I buy the random one-off game here and there instead.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, adamchevy said:

That makes sense to me. If I only wanted to watch one or two things on Netflix every year, there's no way I'd pay for a subscription to it.

I think the big 3 have been trying to figure out a way to stop piracy and at the same time eliminate used games from the market. Nintendo not so much because they like physical cartridges still. But the ideal of digital distribution and game pass is a step into a world of gaming that is going to make used game prices go up like crazy. Unless current gen gamers just don’t care I guess, and maybe that’s a thing. Maybe the idea of physical games is a very retro ideology.

I've grown to the idea of digital games, but the idea of physical games going extinct irks me. I don't want to have to mod every system going forward just to collect for it after everything shuts down. Don't even get me started on streaming games. That service can go suck a lemon.

• Like 1

They are both beautifully designed custom PCs. Mark on classic game room said it best in his review of the Wii U. The end of the traditional home video game console ended with the 5200...I mean the Wii U.    

Not to diss on myself, but the 5200 was itself a custom PC based on the 400/800 series of Atari computers so I guess Mark was wrong and so was I in many ways. The Tech in game consoles always trickled down from home computers. Even VCS means Video Computer System. But in that case I think the evolution went a bit in reverse, because the 400/800 and Apple computers came after the VCS. So I guess many youtubers and myself are wrong. In that spirit I am looking forward to the Series X because it reminds me of the GameCube. Although I wish it had a few more games like the GameCube. Not so much the Nintendo franchises but the third party ones. I think once Final fantasy 7 remake hits the Series X I’ll pick one up. I am excited to get back to faster load times like the early days of home consoles. Not so much computers back then because they used tapes and floppy technology. And I’m really happy to see new technology like Ray tracing coming to video games. It’s a great time to be a gamer!   

Neither particularly. The state of internet in my area means I don't have an option for online, and sure as hell not for streaming. Xbox will be fully online, not that the one wasn't already (it's only the third console I've ever sold off in my life, and the only one ever while it was still current) playstation will step in that disaster this generation, which is funny, considering there is a reason ps4 outsold the xone, but magically Sony will act oblivious.

That really just leaves Nintendo, but last gen, even they screwed up with the fractured games, and to much online stuff (no link or game moving capabilities, wha?) So while their next system will likely suck too, in theory it should at least be playable still.

Do new consoles impress me? Not since original Xbox have I really been impressed by the barely crawling forward state of games. Sure, handhelds have been impressive, but that's just because they were pushed so far back during the 90's, so they really were just playing catchup.

13 minutes ago, Video said:

Sure, handhelds have been impressive, but that's just because they were pushed so far back during the 90's, so they really were just playing catchup.

I remember getting my Vita in December 2011 with Uncharted a few days after launch. That was impressive as hell for the time. Still use my Vita literally every day~

• Like 2

It's been a long time since I've paid any attention to hardware itself. The differences are too small, which is partially dictated by the multi-plat oriented market.

It's all about games, and none of the new titles - be it exclusives or crossovers - are in any way exciting to me, like proper next gen titles used to be. It's all just about better gfx (and even that its' getting bit silly - who really needs 120fps? Or 8K? Sad.) with gameplay being the same old template recycled across the board.

Bethesda, with Starfield and TES 6, is currently the only one which could do that for me, but these games are still too far away to pay any attention to. And will be on PC as well, like most exclusives (there is even talk of Bloodborne heading this way.)

Edited by youxia