IGNORED

Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?

Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?

• Yes, both the PS5 and the XSX have impressed me
    • Yes, the PS5 has impressed me
    • Yes, the XSX has impressed me
    • No, none of them have impresed me

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 12/6/2020 at 5:31 AM, AtariLeaf said:

I guess Forbes hasn't heard of the Atari VCS

How can the Atari VCS be a disappointment when everyone's been basically crapping on it and declaring it a failure since the day it was announced?  At this point, the bar is so low, all it can do is exceed expectations.

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, IntelliMission said:

It loks like Forbes is not particularly impressed with the Series X either:

Forbes: Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment

While I agree it doesn't feel like a big leap, this author is mostly just personal nitpicking. He said no one in their right mind would buy an Xbox for exclusives, but there are plenty of people who buy Xbox to play Halo, Gears and Forza. I mean, I guess you can play them on PC now, if you count PC.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 7:10 PM, IntelliMission said:

It loks like Forbes is not particularly impressed with the Series X either:

Forbes: Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment

He's a bit off with his argument for my tastes.. 

Sonic the Hedgehog was smooth, colorful, responsive, and performed better than any other 2D platformer. Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 was a debut of real-feel 3D. Medal of Honor: Frontline was an indelible hail of bullets and fear as your stormed Omaha Beach on D-Day. Motorstorm on the PS3 had the most realistic graphics I’d ever seen in a racing game. Even RESOGUN proved how incredible and beautiful the PS4 was.

He uses Sonic as an example of an early generation Genesis title, how impressed was he by likes of Super Thunderblade and Altered Beast? 

MOH:Frontline i found very disspointing on PS2, loved the original on PS1, but the A. I in particular felt very dumb in Frontline and i was gutted the Xbox recieved Frontline, not Allied Assault. 

I went through a stage of buying new platforms on day one, only to find they had their fair share of weak launch titles and I had to wait months for the real killer apps to arrive. 

The Sega Mega CD 

Atari Jaguar

Sony Playstation 2.

The Atari ST didn't tempt me until Dungeon Master and Starglider II.. 

The N64 not until Perfect Dark.. 

I don't see this  generation being any different. 

It's very early days for both systems. 

The author has been very selective in his argument and the article feels like click bait. 

1 hour ago, DJ Clae said:

Yeah, one would hope for something more general and less biased from a mainstream, non-gaming news source like Forbes.

You don't think Altered Beast on the Genesis was at least a decent arcade port for it's time?

Better than the ST and Amiga ports, yes, but not something for myself that had that much impact. 

But then like i never went much on the Arcade original. 

The headline is indeed a bit clickbait-y, but he has a good point in general. This is an extremely underwhelming console generation, which does not feel "next" at all. They are freshly after the release, and yet most talk is not really about games, but some tedious pcmasterrace-style details and squabbling over minuscule loading/resolution/fps differences.

Before that (and maybe one before) every gen was a massive advance  you could see it even lookin at launch/early games . With this one, I doubt there will be any big breakthrough surprises even year or two ahead. That's becasue gaming in general seems to have hit a creative wall, it's been like that for quite a few years, perhaps even a decade. It's all about regurgitating old ideas and templates without pushing forward and taking risks. The only game released recently that feels next gen is  MS Flight Simulator, but it's "just" a flight sim after all. I will  play Cyberpunk 2077 tonight but I'm not hoping for any jaw dropping moments.  It'll be entertaining perhaps, but the same old stuff nonetheless.

My only hope for something genuinely far-out is with TES VI, but god knows when it will be released. R* could do something similar with GTA too, but they don't care about truly pushing the envelope because their MP is such a cash cow.

Well, debut two boxes that can basically "do Xbox," which is apparently a service now, and that's what you get.

The Series S is also a poor proposition for consumers, and if anything, just dilutes their marketing for Series X. Look at Sony and you can see how to promote a new console right -- Even though they have two SKU's, the public is going crazy over one monolithic must-have brand, and that's PS5. I'd be happy to never hear anything about Series S ever again, honestly.

• Like 1

Well, debut two boxes that can basically "do Xbox," which is apparently a service now, and that's what you get.  

The Series S is also a poor proposition for consumers, and if anything, just dilutes their marketing for Series X. Look at Sony and you can see how to promote a new console right -- Even though they have two SKU's, the public is going crazy over one monolithic must-have brand, and that's PS5. I'd be happy to never hear anything about Series S ever again, honestly.

The series S isn’t next Gen. It’s a way for Xbox to split the market. They needed a $299 price

point to try and tap into parents buying a “Next Gen” console and not have to buy a switch because they want a new Xbox to play with their dude Bros. Its a .5 step up from an Xbox one X and makes their brand seem like the lesser in competition with the PlayStation.

Also, where was Cyberpunk when the Special edition Xbox One X went up for sale? That shows you how much they pay attention to game releases. Also, I’m glad they put Halo infinite on the new Xbox packaging. Oh wait that’s not due out until April 2021.

Still Xbox can’t ship a new console with new games. Good thing they have game pass so I can play all of my old games on my new unobtainable box.

• Like 2

I think we all know it, the blur between console and pc has fully arrived. We aren't talking about new flashy games coming out exclusive to the next gen, we're talking about games you can buy on either generation, and getting a patch on the newer one to make it work faster and look nicer. Even the current exclusives are unlikely to stay exclusive forever. The pc market is too strong to be competed against. 

Xbox is virtually pc. On the last gen which I still haven't got into yet, I could buy second hand for less than £50 every game that came out only for X box one. I think I counted 7 exclusives last time I looked and I think some of them were download only - for the entire systems life. 

5 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

I think we all know it, the blur between console and pc has fully arrived. We aren't talking about new flashy games coming out exclusive to the next gen, we're talking about games you can buy on either generation, and getting a patch on the newer one to make it work faster and look nicer. Even the current exclusives are unlikely to stay exclusive forever. The pc market is too strong to be competed against. 

Think that way if it makes you feel better, I guess. It's clear to me that last gen games that have a backward compatibility patch on next gen are very different things than games that have a native PS5 or Series X version.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 10:00 AM, zzip said:

How can the Atari VCS be a disappointment when everyone's been basically crapping on it and declaring it a failure since the day it was announced?  At this point, the bar is so low, all it can do is exceed expectations.

If anyone can pull off a way to disappoint even everyone who expects the product to be terrible, it's l'Atari.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJ Clae said:

Think that way if it makes you feel better, I guess. It's clear to me that last gen games that have a backward compatibility patch on next gen are very different things than games that have a native PS5 or Series X version.

My wallet is certainly a lot healthier, I can just wait for steam sales for all those console games I want to play one day! I'm not saying that the newer gen versions aren't a lot slicker (read: plays like it should on a PC), but we're not talking gameplay difference like it used to be between NES/SNES/GB and MS/MD/GG.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
My wallet is certainly a lot healthier, I can just wait for steam sales for all those console games I want to play one day! I'm not saying that the newer gen versions aren't a lot slicker (read: plays like it should on a PC), but we're not talking gameplay difference like it used to be between NES/SNES/GB and MS/MD/GG.

I’ve recently gone the steam route and I’m pretty happy so far. I play with a PS4 controller and so far it’s been great. Their are a so many game to play that I’m not sure why I would ever need an Xbox or PS5? And if I want an Xbox I could just get Gamepass for my PC. Really I think I’m good this Gen without either. I’ve been playing steam games and 2600 games on real hardware. Funny enough playing on a real 2600 for me is the only console experience I think I would miss[emoji3].

On 12/8/2020 at 4:52 PM, Lost Dragon said:

He's a bit off with his argument for my tastes.. 

Sonic the Hedgehog was smooth, colorful, responsive, and performed better than any other 2D platformer. Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 was a debut of real-feel 3D. Medal of Honor: Frontline was an indelible hail of bullets and fear as your stormed Omaha Beach on D-Day. Motorstorm on the PS3 had the most realistic graphics I’d ever seen in a racing game. Even RESOGUN proved how incredible and beautiful the PS4 was.

He uses Sonic as an example of an early generation Genesis title, how impressed was he by likes of Super Thunderblade and Altered Beast? 

MOH:Frontline i found very disspointing on PS2, loved the original on PS1, but the A. I in particular felt very dumb in Frontline and i was gutted the Xbox recieved Frontline, not Allied Assault. 

I went through a stage of buying new platforms on day one, only to find they had their fair share of weak launch titles and I had to wait months for the real killer apps to arrive. 

The Sega Mega CD 

Atari Jaguar

Sony Playstation 2.

The Atari ST didn't tempt me until Dungeon Master and Starglider II.. 

The N64 not until Perfect Dark.. 

I don't see this  generation being any different. 

It's very early days for both systems. 

The author has been very selective in his argument and the article feels like click bait. 

Sonic 1 was released two years after the genesis launch, I’d hardly call that a launch title. 

you weren’t impressed by anything upon the N64 until 4 years after its launch with Perfect Dark in 2000? Man that’s harsh. 

Well I decided to pick up an Xbox Series S because they became available on BestBuy. I don’t plan on going 4k until the quality Oleds come down under 1k.

All total with 3 additional controllers it was just over $500 with tax.

The only thing I’m worried about it needing more storage space.

I’m actually pretty excited to get game pass and play some games with my kids, which is mainly who the console is for anyway. I think it’s a great purchase for that reason.

I also hope to pick up a PS5 when they finally become available. Demon Souls is really calling my name.

I'm not particularly impressed. Oh sure the graphics and specs are nice. But that'll be eclipsed by PC in a year or so. Always is.

I furthermore dislike the removal of features. Not to mention the continued push for DL only. Personal copies on local media is everything to me. And the harder they push the more I go elsewhere.

Finally there’s too much derpage surrounding new releases. Just doesn’t excite me.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I'm not particularly impressed. Oh sure the graphics and specs are nice. But that'll be eclipsed by PC in a year or so. Always is.

I furthermore dislike the removal of features. Not to mention the continued push for DL only. Personal copies on local media is everything to me. And the harder they push the more I go elsewhere.

Finally there’s too much derpage surrounding new releases. Just doesn’t excite me.

I don’t see a quality PC coming along for $299 for a while that matches the Series S. That aside I didn’t buy it for that reason.

I’m constantly being called by my kids to come and configure something or help them get the controllers working with some steam game.

It’s really just convenience for me at this point. Oh I’ll also be happy to play a few of the game pass games. I think it will open my horizons a bit and if games go away from game pass that I really like then atleast I would have been made aware of them in the first place.

I’m not really a fan of all digital either except then I don’t have to constantly put my games back in their cases and hope that my kids treated them nice. That’s actually one thing I really like about cartridge based systems.

I for one am VERY impressed with the Xbox Series X. I have owned it now for a week and am really having a blast with it. I've unlocked dev mode and tested its power through emulators via Retroarch and found that quite amazing. I have played a ton of GamePass games and think the service is fantastic. The graphics are quite amazing to my eye and the system runs cool, quiet and the controller is superb.

But, what I am most impressed with is the backward compatibility. I went out with my brother to the usual Goodwill locations in the area today and actually looked for older Xbox games (360) to start collecting some physical media for this machine. I found some great games hunting around and they all work with the machine. Just awesome. I can hunt and collect for something "new" (to me) ;)

• Like 2

I for one am VERY impressed with the Xbox Series X. I have owned it now for a week and am really having a blast with it. I've unlocked dev mode and tested its power through emulators via Retroarch and found that quite amazing. I have played a ton of GamePass games and think the service is fantastic. The graphics are quite amazing to my eye and the system runs cool, quiet and the controller is superb.

But, what I am most impressed with is the backward compatibility. I went out with my brother to the usual Goodwill locations in the area today and actually looked for older Xbox games (360) to start collecting some physical media for this machine. I found some great games hunting around and they all work with the machine. Just awesome. I can hunt and collect for something "new" (to me) [emoji6]

I really wanted to buy a Series X, I just gave up looking after a month of searching and I’m not paying the current eBay prices.
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 5:42 AM, Keatah said:

It will probably be more than a few years before PC can catch up to the SSD speeds of PS5.   Too many bottlenecks in the architecture.   I have a fast NVME SSD in my PC, and game load times are still not that good.  

Perhaps some other solution will present itself. Something we hadn't thought of or some crazy-ass mod that just.. might.. work.. Some sort of direct-to-CPU connection. Bypassing the "chipset" entirely.

The trend in PC design is always toward serialization for chip interconnects, busses, interfaces, and more.. because of size and amount of PCB traces. RealEstate and all that. But if an area of the architecture needs a serious boost there's always parallel wiring to fall back on.

Edited by Keatah

17 minutes ago, zzip said:

It will probably be more than a few years before PC can catch up to the SSD speeds of PS5.   Too many bottlenecks in the architecture.   I have a fast NVME SSD in my PC, and game load times are still not that good.  

It will be interesting to see what specs Sony requires for the expansion port