IGNORED

Canyon Bomber genre games

Philsan

Canyon Bomber is an arcade game made by Atari in 1977:

1288004831_CanyonBomberArcade.png.295dbc55839fba2e23efc528914a0b49.png

It was converted to VCS in 1978:

1520007002_CanyonBomberVCS.png.47c29587dcf98025cad6daf5f29a80ce.png

With gameplay slightly changed, the game was ported to many platforms, like Blitz for Vic20:

Blitz.thumb.jpg.950aa5d562360a241760e1d616495861.jpg

Recently, Ocean Detox (2010) and Lunar Blitz (2014) were released for A8:

1512818697_OceanDetox1.png.21ccb0222d891fda83e6b446a5097574.png 1118940031_OceanDetox2.png.4be99fd7d4e5d4abc6167db437fffd12.png

1642743992_LunarBlitz1.png.269609cc0fcc25b940832ecf84a7da7a.png 1481256473_LunarBlitz2.png.be22d3acf2ad4ed4ebce94534e5ab643.png

Do you remember early games of this genre for A8, Basic games included?  Thanks!

In Games for your Atari, Virgin Books, 1983, I found City Bomb:

614159575_CityBomb.png.e584c6717f591eb347d9a9cf3c98d7c6.png

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lbaeza said:

Check the "Shoot'em Up! -Bomber" category on Atarimania:

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-400-800-xl-xe-shoot-em-up-bomber_genre_108_8_G.html

Regards,

Luis.

Before starting this thread, I checked Atarimania Advanced Search. Unfortunately I missed "Shoot'em Up! - Bomber" genre...

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Philsan said:

In Games for your Atari, Virgin Books, 1983, I found City Bomb:

614159575_CityBomb.png.e584c6717f591eb347d9a9cf3c98d7c6.png

Hi Philsan,

A quick personal note here. I learned a tremendous lot of programming as a kid with the French version of this book (Jeux en Basic sur votre Atari, Sybex France). The City Bomb was actually one of the easiest ones to decipher (I was 10 years old at the time), the Reflex one was the shortest (last program in the French version). There's actually an italian translation of the book I recently witnessed on Ebay Italy. It has the same cover as the british version of the book and it hasn't been properly archived yet. Note: there's another Paul Bunn book translated in French (I think published by Eyrolles) which hasn't been archived either. The 2 books combined (+ the official ATARI BASIC book) were a stepping stone in my childhood.

Anyway, grazie mille for the throwback to the past. :)

jeux-en-basic-sur-atari-paul-bunn-french-translation-sybex.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, abbotkinneydude said:

Hi Philsan,

A quick personal note here. I learned a tremendous lot of programming as a kid with the French version of this book (Jeux en Basic sur votre Atari, Sybex France). The City Bomb was actually one of the easiest ones to decipher (I was 10 years old at the time), the Reflex one was the shortest (last program in the French version). There's actually an italian translation of the book I recently witnessed on Ebay Italy. It has the same cover as the british version of the book and it hasn't been properly archived yet. Note: there's another Paul Bunn book translated in French (I think published by Eyrolles) which hasn't been archived either. The 2 books combined (+ the official ATARI BASIC book) were a stepping stone in my childhood.

Anyway, grazie mille for the throwback to the past. :)

jeux-en-basic-sur-atari-paul-bunn-french-translation-sybex.jpg

Ciao!

I too have fond memories of a similar book, Games for your Atari 600XL (translated in Italian), from which I discovered that A8 had player missile graphics (poor Atari manuals, shame on you!).

I inform you that I scanned the Italian translation of the book you mentioned, Jeux en Basic sur votre Atari.

You can find it on my website:

https://www.santellocco.com/atari/biblioteca.htm

I put together all book's programs on an ATR in this page:

https://www.santellocco.com/atari/programmi.htm

I scanned and uploaded the Italian translation of another French book, Programmes pour ATARI, Éditions du P.S.I.

Grazie a te!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mimo said:

I've still got that virgin book somewhere and remember typing it in.

I also typed in a version on the zx81 

Here you'll find that book's programs: https://www.santellocco.com/atari/programmi.htm

BTW, recently I bought Games for your Atari 600XL.

A friend of mine is scanning it and soon I will upload it.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 4:49 PM, Philsan said:

Canyon Bomber is an arcade game made by Atari in 1977:

1288004831_CanyonBomberArcade.png.295dbc55839fba2e23efc528914a0b49.png

Is kind of funny that this can done almost equal (or better) in the A8 (G0, P/M's for the white "underlay" color, narrow playfield).. and the arcade uses a 6502 clocked at 756 KHz.

How much do you like the original? :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NRV said:

Is kind of funny that this can done almost equal (or better) in the A8 (G0, P/M's for the white "underlay" color, narrow playfield).. and the arcade uses a 6502 clocked at 756 KHz.

Go for it - that would be sweet to have the arcade original.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bfollett said:

Maybe not the most literal Canyon Bomber type game but have tried Buried Bucks.  I wasted many an hour on that game.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-buried-bucks_844.html

Buried Bucks.xex 14.33 kB · 1 download

Beat me to it.  Buried Bucks was the first thing that came to mind.  Actually a really fun game.

BURIED BUCKS [ATR] - Atari 800 (Atari) rom download | WoWroms.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 3:25 AM, NRV said:

Thank you very much Nelson! @NRV

• Like 3

On 7/26/2020 at 3:25 AM, NRV said:

That's the right point of view :)

My friend and I typed in 3/4 of City Bomber and took the chance of leaving the 400 on overnight rather than saving to cassette because the tape was funny and i think I was worried I didnt have any room left maybe.. Yea bad move - dad turned the thing off overnight.. So we toiled once again only to end up with City Bomber.. LOL. I’m not sure what we were going to get? Star Raiders or something????

Still the memories are certainly precious...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...