IGNORED

I paid $5 to acquire a nice box and manual for A-Maze-A-Tron

I already had the cart and overlays, but not the box and manual. Saw it the other day, including the cart, for five dollars.

It’s one of my favorite intellivision games, not because it’s necessarily excellent, but because of its ambitious scope. It had two different music tracks, two different gameplay modes and, IMO, a really cool aesthetic.

Just now, Intelligentleman said:

I already had the cart and overlays, but not the box and manual. Saw it the other day, including the cart, for five dollars.

It’s one of my favorite intellivision games, not because it’s necessarily excellent, but because of its ambitious scope. It had two different music tracks, two different gameplay modes and, IMO, a really cool aesthetic.

Well, I know the game has a few fans, but I am certainly not one of them. ?. I’d rather play Tron Deadly Discs.  That’s a great price though, enjoy!!

• Like 1

Maze-A-Tron was fun in its own right.  It was difficult, challenging and worth the replay.  Not an easy game, and tough on the fingers, but I thought even then, it was complex for a video game.  You needed to pay attention to what you were doing and where you were going in order to win it.  When you finally won, it was satisfying to take down the MCP.

The Tron series of games all have their place in the history of Intellivision.  No other system supported the movie like Inty did.  You just had to be a certain kind of gamer to enjoy the later two of the series.  For most, they were boring games and very monotonous, but if you could get past that desire to play an arcade game, they were pretty good games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IMBerzerk said:

Maze-A-Tron was fun in its own right.  It was difficult, challenging and worth the replay.  Not an easy game, and tough on the fingers, but I thought even then, it was complex for a video game.  You needed to pay attention to what you were doing and where you were going in order to win it.  When you finally won, it was satisfying to take down the MCP.

But you can't defeat the MCP.  You can only survive and score points.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Exactly.  

I actually liked the first part of the game, but the MCP level was pointless.

Someone should hack the game to make it winnable, but even if the game was winnable the MCP level in this game and Solar Sailer were not fun to play.

38 minutes ago, mr_me said:

You know.. I forgot that you don't "defeat" the MCP, you just go back to the board.  Would be a good one to hack so that the MCP blows up and the games ends.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 9:42 PM, Intelligentleman said:

I’ve yet to encounter this one, but I actually like the other two Tron games, so I’ve always wondered about Solar Sailor.

All the Tron games I enjoy, Discs being the most fun and playable of the three.

Maze A Tron and Tron Solar Sailer are about tied in fun factor. I think I play Maze more because I don't need to hook up the voice to play, I included Maze in my top 10 list of Intellivision games (That I own), around the 8th place.

I don't think kids would enjoy the other two Tron games, but as an adult I find them enjoyable, more thoughtful retro gaming. Very sophisticated for very early 80's technology. GO MATTEL! ?:thumbsup:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

All the Tron games I enjoy, Discs being the most fun and playable of the three.

Maze A Tron and Tron Solar Sailer are about tied in fun factor. I think I play Maze more because I don't need to hook up the voice to play, I included Maze in my top 10 list of Intellivision games (That I own), around the 8th place.

I don't think kids would enjoy the other two Tron games, but as an adult I find them enjoyable, more thoughtful retro gaming. Very sophisticated for very early 80's technology. GO MATTEL! ?:thumbsup:

Emphasis added. That's why I like Maze-A-Tron! It's totally flawed, but remember, this was 1983, and not many games attempted to give you an experience that had a beginning, middle and end.

I feel like it was a precursor to the more narrative-driven games of the NES era and beyond.

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 2